Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
If it's been looked after you shouldn't have many issues, I would service the cooling system and use genuine coolant, 9 times out of 10 it's dipshits cooking them that causes the problems. I worked in a shop that done mechanical work for an engine machinist, and I'd only seen a couple of cars that had the issue of blowing a head gasket with the machining problem of the cyl heads, all the rest was owner neglect.
I'd read the 6 cylinders dont have the problems the EJ25 4 bangers do?

Flow-Rider

Burner
I'd read the 6 cylinders dont have the problems the EJ25 4 bangers do?
The 6 cylinder engines are usually pretty good, there's always suspicion around those cylinder head failures because how do you know the quality of the head studs or the cylinder heads were even done up correctly in the first the place.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
EZ30 is still an open deck block, though head gasket failure are less common due to Subaru somehow taking more care with EZ blocks vs EJ blocks surface finish, plus engine is outputting less power per litre of displacement if driven like for like with a 2.5L.

It’s a great engine. ONLY use the real Subaru coolant, and things should be rosy.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
EZ30 is still an open deck block, though head gasket failure are less common due to Subaru somehow taking more care with EZ blocks vs EJ blocks surface finish, plus engine is outputting less power per litre of displacement if driven like for like with a 2.5L.

It’s a great engine. ONLY use the real Subaru coolant, and things should be rosy.

That'll buff out.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I'd say over a 20 year period of working in non-dealship workshops, Ford 6cylinder wins hands down for blowing head gaskets, followed by the 3 series BMW then maybe Subaru. I've got 2 x EJ25's non turboed and turboed 13 years old and I haven't the touched the motors other than servicing.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Proper care no double flow-rider

I’d swap a bmw in-line 4 head gasket with a bad cough, a sprained ankle and drunk before the ej25.

Flow-rider do you recall the first time you tried to pop the block off the transaxle? I was being so careful the first time. Now, give me the biggest hammer I can swing in there.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Proper care no double flow-rider

I’d swap a bmw in-line 4 head gasket with a bad cough, a sprained ankle and drunk before the ej25.

Flow-rider do you recall the first time you tried to pop the block off the transaxle? I was being so careful the first time. Now, give me the biggest hammer I can swing in there.
I can't recall them being stubborn, maybe I don't want to remember :D. Some of them we used to drop the whole crossmember with the engine and gearbox onto the ground. Some engines are just tight on the locating dowels, 4wd drives that get driven in salt water can be a fight to get off.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Price of admission. You want easy, go mainstream
But finding spares for things like Ruf, Alpina, MTM etc are next level.

Even pre takeover AMG is crazy. There are stories of people keeping multiple 90s e60s for parts, and s/sl/cl 65s being bought up because they share the same bottom end as Zondas.

At least with Ralliart, STI, Nismo etc the parts were often available from a catalogue and it's possible to track down the oem part.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
So, never ride someone else's bike you aren’t prepared to buy.
This absolute unit is now mine, white KTM TE300, 60hrs run time. Very silly, I love it.

Does anyone have an experience with mousse tubes? I’ve only ever had tubes and tubeless on bikes, this thing has a mousse up front and I’m unsure what to look for regarding it’s condition and whether it needs replacing or not.
Bike sat around garaged since 2018, so cleaned the carb and whacked some fresh fuel in. Ran a little rough sunday, much better now.
DO NOT hold jet needles in your mouth while cleaning, it kinda burns the lips. I will never do that again.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
You aren’t wrong. All the gear and no idea.
Chop tested the spark plug to make sure it’s jetted well, so many accidental wheelies. Holding it wide in 4th is bloody scary.
Almost died.
Jettings fine though so that’s good I guess
Nothing gives a quality adrenaline rush like almost dying though!

Mattyp

Cows go boing
You aren’t wrong. All the gear and no idea.
Chop tested the spark plug to make sure it’s jetted well, so many accidental wheelies. Holding it wide in 4th is bloody scary.
Almost died.
Jettings fine though so that’s good I guess
The power curve on those new 2strokes are pretty good. The EFI ones are even better but almost feel a bit dull.. I have a Kx250 that goes from nothing to 60HP in about 500rpm as it tries to rip your arms from their sockets. Good times.