Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
911s, sadly, are technology over common sense.
I'm one of those weirdos who actually think rear engined stuff is a good idea. Stupendous packaging for starters, insane power down out of corners and with modern technology they can be made to be annihilatingly good - as numerous iterations of 911 amply demonstrate.

But it applies to other stuff too. The original A110 was a bit handy in rallies, and my Dad had a Corvair when he lived in the States and rated the shit out of it, it just fell over (literally) when it was driven by people who didn't have an "appreciation" for its dynamics, but the Nader expose was a bit ott.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Ish. There is no doubt early 911s were a handful even if you knew what you are doing. I have 'tried' to buy a 911 about 8 times and each time bailed. The GT3RS was absolutely the best 911 I have driven but that weight out the back is still a reminder not to be silly. I had the GT2RS sideways at something over 100kph and all I could think was dont back off, dont back off, dont back off... anyway I doubt I will ever be buying one. I was sooooooo close to the GT3 but better for my mate, he got another $50k or so more than I could have bought it for.

Anyway still fun.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
911s, sadly, are technology over common sense. I still love them though. I just would have liked them to go mid engined. A boxster would make a nice track car but couldnt see me in one of these or a cayman day to day. I need 4 seats on occasion so that rules out the proper sports beasts. If not I reckon my mates GT3RS would be sitting in the carport instead of going to Melbourne last year. 928 would be ok but there are so many other options it makes them hard to go for.

Still thinking of a repowered resuspended spridget at some point as a play thing.

Still pissed Ford pulled the next Focus RS, my name was down for one.
Confusing post is confusing - you want a 911 to be mid-engined but also want four seats?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
That is the dilemma, four seats for four normal people not just amputees. Despite the size I have have 3 6'ers plus wife in the 2.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
When I stop spewing I will respond.

In the interim look up torsional vibration.
Meh, who cares - they’re cool. Could be outrun and out handled by a hotted up shopping trolley these days, but that’s a long way from the point.

Theyre just cool. The Boxer in particular is just gorgeous...