Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Some kind of overdrive scenario?

In my car if in Eco, the transmission goes into 'gliding mode' if I lift off the throttle on a flat to gentle decline and the rpm sit at idle. Depending on the road it can sit like that for quite a while.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
No idea but possibly trying to save fuel might be it?

I have been in a taxi where the driver kept giving it a bit of throttle then letting it go. The lurching forwarding then coasting then repeating the whole process again drove me absolutely nuts, and I think I have a slow burn of temper too :D I almost asked him if his car was broken.
Oh yeah, ive had taxi drivers like that. I just wondered if the taxi owner knew he was trashing their car... Super weird.

safreek

Not a project but saw a car for sale that bought back memories, old dodge phonebox. 2nd car I ever had, probably the most fun car I owned. The 64 was the only phonebox that looked good in my most humble opinion
God help me, I was only 16

Screenshot_2023-05-14-10-57-58-85_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Bloke I sold the Megane to contacted me wondering if i could look at it as the automatic gear shifts are really rough. An oddity I noticed when I let him test drive it, he lifts the throttle randomly all the time - something to do with driving trucks for a living he said... And he put it in neutral every time he went down a hill and stopped at lights... People are weird.

I gave him the spiel on the test drive that all those things are at best not needed and will just add wear and tear. Just leave it in drive, keep a steady pressure on the throttle and let the automatic do its thing on its own.

Turns out he is still doing the throttle lifting. No wonder the gear changes are jerky, the poor bloody trans computer doesnt have a clue what the hell is going on! Told him to stop it, drive it normally and then I'll have a look at it for him...

Anyone got any idea what his deal is with that? What is it about driving trucks that would make someone keep randomly getting off the throttle in an automatic car...?
He is an ex F1 driver. Lift and coast Lewis.

Haakon

Some kind of overdrive scenario?

In my car if in Eco, the transmission goes into 'gliding mode' if I lift off the throttle on a flat to gentle decline and the rpm sit at idle. Depending on the road it can sit like that for quite a while.
Dunno, I'll have to ask him when he brings it around. It would benefit from another fluid change im sure ( I did give it some fresh fluid, but you only get half the fluid out when draining), but hopefully he hasnt broken it and me driving it will make it smooth again.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you done a lot of driving training and track days with it? What tyres are you running?

I'm just starting down the rabbit hole with my R35. Getting some cooling upgrades done before I start some driver training and track days.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
Yes, it gets used a fair bit but not as much as it should given the money I've tipped into it.
We run Z221's or A050's depending on the weather and where the races are. If we're just hacking around at sprints and stuff we run V70A's because they put up with a lot of abuse. R35's are hard because of the wheel sizes, from memory most guys run R888's because you can actually get them in the right size. They are not a fast tyre, but they are good to drive on because they give you plenty of feedback at the limit and will gently slide while squealing unlike others (AR1) which just fall off a cliff.

If you're going to track the 35 good brakes are a must, while the stock rotors and calipers are fine the standard pads get pretty smokey if you're having a crack. I'm a massive fan of Endless N35S pads (or whatever they are called now) which work well from cold (ish) and provide great bite without ruining rotors like others (Hawk, DS3000, PMU). Get them from RHD Japan, local prices are rubbish.
There are plenty of tuning options for them, but as above be careful who you take it to. If it's an early car the boxes have their issues but it's not insurmountable with careful tuning or a few basic upgrades.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Dunno, I'll have to ask him when he brings it around. It would benefit from another fluid change im sure ( I did give it some fresh fluid, but you only get half the fluid out when draining), but hopefully he hasnt broken it and me driving it will make it smooth again.
Normally when you sell a car it becomes someone else's problem... You're a glutton for punishment.

Haakon

Normally when you sell a car it becomes someone else's problem... You're a glutton for punishment.
Yeah, I knew it would be a mistake... He had some bad experiences with mechanics, and asked if I would do the maintenance on it for a fee. I knew he would struggle finding someone in Hobart who knew their way around a Megane, but still I clearly wasnt thinking straight when I agreed!!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Yes, it gets used a fair bit but not as much as it should given the money I've tipped into it.
We run Z221's or A050's depending on the weather and where the races are. If we're just hacking around at sprints and stuff we run V70A's because they put up with a lot of abuse. R35's are hard because of the wheel sizes, from memory most guys run R888's because you can actually get them in the right size. They are not a fast tyre, but they are good to drive on because they give you plenty of feedback at the limit and will gently slide while squealing unlike others (AR1) which just fall off a cliff.

If you're going to track the 35 good brakes are a must, while the stock rotors and calipers are fine the standard pads get pretty smokey if you're having a crack. I'm a massive fan of Endless N35S pads (or whatever they are called now) which work well from cold (ish) and provide great bite without ruining rotors like others (Hawk, DS3000, PMU). Get them from RHD Japan, local prices are rubbish.
There are plenty of tuning options for them, but as above be careful who you take it to. If it's an early car the boxes have their issues but it's not insurmountable with careful tuning or a few basic upgrades.
Cool thanks. Currently running Falken AZENIS FK510s. Was looking at Pilot Sport 5 at the street end through to Cup 2 or R888R.

Will get a complete set of carbon ceramics at the end of the year when I go to the US. https://racingbrake.com/gtr-crk-390.390/

The transmission has had the standard upgraded Dodson bits and pieces installed and the Nismo shift programme installed.

I don't plan to do anymore to the engine or powertrain. It's apparently got over 450kw as it is and it's plenty scary enough. It looks like the previous owner was a GReddy fan: they fitted a full cold air intake, intercooler piping and exhaust system.

Last edited:

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cool thanks. Currently running Falken AZENIS FK510s. Was looking at Pilot Sport 5 at the street end through to Cup 2 or R888R.

Will get a complete set of carbon ceramics at the end of the year when I go to the US. https://racingbrake.com/gtr-crk-390.390/

The transmission has had the standard upgraded Dodson bits and pieces installed and the Nismo shift programme installed.

I don't plan to do anymore to the engine or powertrain. It's apparently got over 450kw as it is and it's plenty scary enough. It looks like the previous owner was a GReddy fan: they fitted a full cold air intake, intercooler piping and exhaust system.

The guys are Racing Brake do nice stuff, we use their rotor hat blanks for the top hats on our cars.
Tyres for the R35 are always tricky because they are fast and heavy, so pretty hard on them and you need to strike the balance between grippy tyres and ones that will last more than a single track day. I've never run Cup 2's but R888's are fine, if you find the limit of those you'll be going plenty fast enough!
Also, launch control test videos not loading - can you re-upload the link.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
We ran R888R on the Fiesta for a couple of seasons and they were good because they were very progressive. I suspect that there are a few tyres that are better grip in the dry and pretty much anything is better in the wet. I haven't had a chance to try out the new tyres (Nankang AR-1) because I have caused an engine code when I fitted the ITBs that I cannot seem to sort out. :( I also ran the R888Rs for a season of sprints and they were ok, lethal in anything like damp let alone wet running. Going to run the half worn AD08Rs when I get back to the sprints and will see how times compare. I reckon the PS5s will be too soft in the sidewall and you will kill them quickly, a guy at the sprints was running Advan A050s on a Megane and found it screwed the outer tread in one day. Not enough camber.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
...Anyone got any idea what his deal is with that? What is it about driving trucks that would make someone keep randomly getting off the throttle in an automatic car...?
Sounds weird to me. Eatons have an air driven splitter that shifts when the pressure comes off the gear set (basically when you lift the throttle). Maybe he's used to that.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
1: He bought a Reno.
2: He bought an old car and expects it to drive like a new one.
3: Sounds like a fuckwit if he drives the car like that.
4: Rough shifts on an auto= anywhere from warn mounts to warn clutch packs to oil pressure problems.
Not a WARN winch?

Haakon

1: He bought a Reno.
2: He bought an old car and expects it to drive like a new one.
3: Sounds like a fuckwit if he drives the car like that.
4: Rough shifts on an auto= anywhere from warn mounts to warn clutch packs to oil pressure problems.
Its a VW designed gearbox made by Seimans - pretty conventional 4 speed TC unit, but the software is tuned for pretty aggressive shifts if you're used to slushy Japanese boxes. It downchanges on a trailing throttle pretty keenly too which is odd if you're not used to it.

His driving will be confusing the shit out of the poor ECU though... Box was fine when I last saw it! But yes you're right, its an old car and expecting it to be perfect would be a mistake on his part! No warranty - happy to charge him for my time to service/repair it, but thats all.