Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I need a roadable semi. One track is 200km away and stuff carrying tyres in the car. I have a season left in the 08Rs and the AR-1 are on the XR4 so a back to back comparison against others will be easy. We have lots of laptime data across 4 drivers on two other tyres including the R888R. All our times on each are within tenths in 60 seconds. A052 are very sensitive to camber. I would love to run Pirelli corsas but man they are expensive. I did like the V720 and the V730 is going to be worth a look if it gets here.
If you are driving to the track that limits your options.
Keep an eye out for V70A on special, they come up every few months. A mate drives them to the track and did a 1:47on them at PI with less than 200hp. Not the quickest tyre but quite predictable.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Summernats has kicked off. Sounds like continuous distant thunder. Hopefully the wind will be in the opposite direction when the burnouts start...
Mate of mine lives on Philip Ave in Mitchell - they batten down the hatches at this time of year!

Another mate of mine though takes the week off work and takes his silly fast Datto and does a lot of skids :)

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Keep an eye out for V70A on special, they come up every few months. A mate drives them to the track and did a 1:47on them at PI with less than 200hp. Not the quickest tyre but quite predictable.
Jesus 1:47 isn’t anything to sneeze at, what car was that?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Not my size. I likes these.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
An update for @Cardy George on the Monaro.

We stripped three diffs today. Two at 2.78:1, one from a HZ which has a smaller universal yoke and the factory original 3.36:1. The 3.36 is a lost cause and the HZ 2.78s is very good, the other 2.78 has badly chipped planetary or sun gears and the star or side gears aren't much better. The bearings were spotted and overall not a pretty sight.

Plenty on the interwebs saying that the taller ratio Salisburys wont accept the lower ratio gear sets and that the sun gears and side gears are different. The explanation was that the taller ratio had a smaller centre to accomodate the smaller diameter crown wheel. So this applies to the 2.6 and 2.78 which share a centre and the 3.08, 3.36, 3.55 and 4.44 share a different centre. Makes sense.

Well sort of. The crown wheels are the same diameter and same pcd but have a different number and form of teeth with the taller crown wheel having two extra teeth! The pinions are significantly different with the taller ratio pinion with a larger tooth count and physically much larger. The centres are the same size except the mounting flange for the crown wheel is offset about 10 or 12mm to allow for the larger pinion! The internal gears and shaft and washers are identical.

So this leaves bil with a couple of options. Rebuild the good 2.78 with new bearings and throw that into the best housing, shim it to suit and run that or clean up the 3.36 centre and run that with the good star and side gears and obtain a new crown wheel and pinion. So now it is dependent on the 3.36 centre clean up. If ok he will go the latter route otherwise the 2.78 will go back in and we sniff around for a 3.36 diff.

I did have a lead on a 3.36 and was supposed to look at it today but the person selling it has obviously accepted a better offer as the ad has disappeared. He didn't even bother to tell me it is sold. Scumtree is such a great thing.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Plenty on the interwebs saying that the taller ratio Salisburys wont accept the lower ratio gear sets and that the sun gears and side gears are different. The explanation was that the taller ratio had a smaller centre to accomodate the smaller diameter crown wheel. So this applies to the 2.6 and 2.78 which share a centre and the 3.08, 3.36, 3.55 and 4.44 share a different centre. Makes sense.

Well sort of. The crown wheels are the same diameter and same pcd but have a different number and form of teeth with the taller crown wheel having two extra teeth! The pinions are significantly different with the taller ratio pinion with a larger tooth count and physically much larger. The centres are the same size except the mounting flange for the crown wheel is offset about 10 or 12mm to allow for the larger pinion! The internal gears and shaft and washers are identical.
Ha, reminds me of when my Fathead Father was looking for the knurled barrels the windscreen wipers attach to. Each of the four different models of that body had a slightly different size barrel.

And when Daddy Dearest handed over the wagon, it came with a complete 3.55 diff. It hadn't been in the car, I'm not sure it has even been in this car, for years, so instead of letting sleeping dogs lie he opened it up 'just for a look.' Hate to think what he dropped in it, let alone disturbing the micro environment inside the case. He was happy to report it was pristine inside. Hopefully it's still the same.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Have to do a pick up run tomorrow for family and friends added into the mix. My trailer is now too small to do it all in one trip. We have been trailer sitting for some other friends while they move and it is a generic 8x5 low sided gal chinesium trailer. Will fit everything in one fell swoop. Ask if we can borrow, yes all good. Hmmmm. Trailer is 10 years old and I am guessing the last maintenance was done... never. Check tyres, they are ok though old but will be fine. Pressures? 15 pissies and 12 pissies so added some air. Dropped the wheels off and the near side bearings were almost dry and a bit sad but still ran smoothly. Seal was pliable so a repack and refit. Nice and smooth now. Far side bearings felt a little crusty. No grease but the soap was a nice white colour. Bugger. Outboard bearing was not good but I have a spare so that is easy. Inner is dry but comes good with some cleaning. Regrease and also nice and spinny. Next test lights. After redoing the plug all the lights work! Yay. Now where is that tow ball... Do35, Do35, treg, nope no towball. #2 has his 80 here undergoing surgery, it had a towball. Sorted!

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Have to do a pick up run tomorrow for family and friends added into the mix. My trailer is now too small to do it all in one trip. We have been trailer sitting for some other friends while they move and it is a generic 8x5 low sided gal chinesium trailer. Will fit everything in one fell swoop. Ask if we can borrow, yes all good. Hmmmm. Trailer is 10 years old and I am guessing the last maintenance was done... never. Check tyres, they are ok though old but will be fine. Pressures? 15 pissies and 12 pissies so added some air. Dropped the wheels off and the near side bearings were almost dry and a bit sad but still ran smoothly. Seal was pliable so a repack and refit. Nice and smooth now. Far side bearings felt a little crusty. No grease but the soap was a nice white colour. Bugger. Outboard bearing was not good but I have a spare so that is easy. Inner is dry but comes good with some cleaning. Regrease and also nice and spinny. Next test lights. After redoing the plug all the lights work! Yay. Now where is that tow ball... Do35, Do35, treg, nope no towball. #2 has his 80 here undergoing surgery, it had a towball. Sorted!
You're doing it wrong - you're supposed to just send it and blame the owner when it loses a wheel on the freeway...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Untwist your knickers, it's a dig at how the dodgier tradies treat borrowed (normally hired) equipment. Fly your hero's cape proudly!
My knickers are fine, it was aimed elsewhere. I tried to get some fucks at the local IGA but they were out.