Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Need some suggestions for rear tyres in 265 x 35 x 18. Current set of Bridgestone Potenza S007s have been good (but noisy) and lasted almost 20,000km. Car does not get a lot of use so would trade longevity for grip (in particular wet weather grip). Factory fitted tyres were some Contis that I changed out about half worn. If you were heavy footed going up a hill you could break them loose at 80km/h. Had probably got hard over time.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I just chucked on some Yoko V107s and really happy with them. Not as much dry grip as the AD08R but only a few % in it. Wet grip is magnitudes better though and they are maybe 3dB quieter. Lower grip in the gravel than the 08. Not available in a 265/35 but 255/35. Or the older V105 which was a good tyre. Other choices are MPPS5 but I guess a heavy car? PS5s have soft sidewalls so more pissies and less responsive. PS4S were great on the M2 but $$$$$$$. Otherwise the usual fare of Kumho which in my experience get hard and slippery at around half wear. Never enjoyed Pirelli Nero or Conti 3 or 5P, new 7 is said to be good as are the Goodyear F1 but there are three or four versions of that. Expensive ish size, what is your budget?

Nankang AR-1? If your rims are wide enough...

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Car probably weighs around 1600-1700kg. No budget, the car doesn't do enough kms. Not sure how wide the rims are. At least 9", possibly 9.5". They are factory but there is not a lot of room inside the guards so a tyre wider than 265 or something with really squared off sides might create an issue.

Put some Kumho ECSTA PS71s in 255 x 35 x 18 on my daughter's car and they seem to be OK (at least new). They were the only tyres I could get at short notice after the typical "shit your tyres are almost worn out and you want to take it for a long trip tomorrow, now I need something this arvo, what can I get?" situation.

Might look at the PS4S or the Goodyear F1 (presumably the Asym 5 are the ones to get?). The Conti 7's look good but they only seem to list one size in 18" (245/35 R18). I have this sinking feeling that there are not a lot of good tyres around/in-stock at the moment. I'm not down the wear bars yet and with the limited kays I drive it's not urgent but would be good to get it sorted before summer is over and the rain starts again.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Car probably weighs around 1600-1700kg. No budget, the car doesn't do enough kms. Not sure how wide the rims are. At least 9", possibly 9.5". They are factory but there is not a lot of room inside the guards so a tyre wider than 265 or something with really squared off sides might create an issue.

Put some Kumho ECSTA PS71s in 255 x 35 x 18 on my daughter's car and they seem to be OK (at least new). They were the only tyres I could get at short notice after the typical "shit your tyres are almost worn out and you want to take it for a long trip tomorrow, now I need something this arvo, what can I get?" situation.

Might look at the PS4S or the Goodyear F1 (presumably the Asym 5 are the ones to get?). The Conti 7's look good but they only seem to list one size in 18" (245/35 R18). I have this sinking feeling that there are not a lot of good tyres around/in-stock at the moment. I'm not down the wear bars yet and with the limited kays I drive it's not urgent but would be good to get it sorted before summer is over and the rain starts again.
I am not sure which F1, a friend ran them in the UK after 4S's. Lower grip but cheaper. She is on V107s now and thinks they are very similar to the 4S she had on before the F1. Both delivered lap times quicker than the F1. When I looked at the F1 in my size there were 3... son has PS71s on his xr4. Good so far but I had the previous evolution on a commode and they went hard.

PS4S are a really great road tyre but I did sprint days on the previous car and the shoulders died. The 107s will only be street tyres and they were a lot cheaper than the 4Ss. I get 15k ish from tyres. The previous road tyres, the 08Rs, are now track tyres after the R888R wore out. At least the 08Rs will be driveable on wet days.

I know a few who have gone to PS5 and are happy but they are running higher pressures to keep wear and feel. For example same car I run 34/32 with the V107 and the guys with PS5s are at 40. Edit: they don't track the cars or in my opinion drive hard, they think they do.

My quick goggle suggested all were similar $ though the PS4S were up to $100 ea more. I really had a poor run from the Contis. The great 5P was awful and the 3 worse. Broke loose without warning in the wet and dry grip way less than the 4S.

Last edited:

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I will find out this year.
Compared to A050/Z221/DZ03G they aren't in the same league, a good 4-5 seconds slower at PI. They are much cheaper but not worth it in my opinion, V70A or R888 are better options.
I've not driven on them but the new AO52s are supposed to be decent

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I need a roadable semi. One track is 200km away and stuff carrying tyres in the car. I have a season left in the 08Rs and the AR-1 are on the XR4 so a back to back comparison against others will be easy. We have lots of laptime data across 4 drivers on two other tyres including the R888R. All our times on each are within tenths in 60 seconds. A052 are very sensitive to camber. I would love to run Pirelli corsas but man they are expensive. I did like the V720 and the V730 is going to be worth a look if it gets here.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I find the tire testing at Autobild to be the best place for up to date, real in depth testing.

I’m still super happy with the PS4 and PS4S, yes scary pricing, and I’m running 42psi front, 44 psi rear, which are in the upper end of the car’s tire placards numbers, and PS4/S in this size/speed/load is rated to 51psi

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I find the tire testing at Autobild to be the best place for up to date, real in depth testing.

I’m still super happy with the PS4 and PS4S, yes scary pricing, and I’m running 42psi front, 44 psi rear, which are in the upper end of the car’s tire placards numbers, and PS4/S in this size/speed/load is rated to 51psi
Your car weighs 16t though...