Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
What ECU are you running? Long rod 2.4 FTW.
Tweaked stock ecu. This engine will stay stock with bolt ons so we can let the kids and aliens drive it. The others though will get some hairier mods as time passes. We still have a spare shell and some options to throw in that. RWD might happen at some stage.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tweaked stock ecu. This engine will stay stock with bolt ons so we can let the kids and aliens drive it. The others though will get some hairier mods as time passes. We still have a spare shell and some options to throw in that. RWD might happen at some stage.
Oh, I don't know the stock ECU was able to be messed with.
I'm still voting for 2.4 long rod though
It's only money.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
mid engine LS swap - ala R5 Turbo :)
He's a Ford man, best make it a Coyote swap ;)
I don't care where the kW come from. Miami/Coyote won't fit. Audi V8 was too big even to mount mid engined behind the operator. There are a few ideas circulating though. If you can fit an lsa and subie box behind the driver in a Fiero and clothe it in lambo plastic...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Yeah you do, otherwise it would be a Tesla swap :)
I care where the $ come from. My plan is at some point an escape in a mk1 Sprite but don't tell anyone. I should have bought the mk3 rolling chassis I was offered but they aren't so cute.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
There are a few but nothing as a rolling chassis with decent body. Most have been restored and $$$$$. The mk3 was almost rust free and missing motor and gearbox. Was cheap. Should have bought even just to tidy up and sell. Flip front, flip rear conversion. Electric direct drive and some batteries.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Want to keep it stock...

I had a chance to buy a converted E type (LHD to RHD) a few years ago for a gnat's under $100k. Same car is now asking $200k plus...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
These arrived for the XR4 and the pillow block bearing to support the actuator shaft. Just need the airfilter backing plate... Plan is to cut these down to 25mm high and spot face the tops and through bolt a la motorcycle trumpets but have just heard a friend of a friend thinks they have some flanged 19mm high ali turmpets off a 40DCOE. So those will be first call if I can support them in the mill or lathe and bore them out to 48mm.

Blue ones were $5 ea from aliexpress.

crash3

Likes Dirt
Inaugural run yesterday.
Turned the voltage controller down to 67% (should be original 12V), worked great for 5 mins, then a pop and blue smoke.
RIP power-wheels.
So a new control unit is ~$25 shipped, and a new button panel is ~$15 new.
I've purchased the new button panel, then had the thought that the broken component may be fairly obvious if I pull the cover off the panel.

In the control unit, a 220uF capacitor was blown apart. I have a soldering iron, and a new capacitor that size is $0.50 at Jaycar, what's the worst that could happen? I could break it again?

Lets see how this goes