Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Haakon

Call me Ken, whoreken
The reluctor wheels will be different and all, give the wrong wave pattern on the oscilloscope, it should stand out like dogs nuts.
I actually had the CAS signal scoped, waveform looked good. Maybe the timing is ever so slightly different though. Who knows… When I get the new one and the old out, maybe I’ll be able to compare and see if there is a tooth count difference or something.

link1896

Is not a gynaecologist but will look at your fork
I actually had the CAS signal scoped, waveform looked good. Maybe the timing is ever so slightly different though. Who knows… When I get the new one and the old out, maybe I’ll be able to compare and see if there is a tooth count difference or something.
ECU would chuck a wobbly if it was seeing 56 crank pulses per revolution to every 8 on the camshaft (or whatever our French friends designed) instead of the petrol cranks 64 pulses. That should pop a crank or camshaft sensor error code.

Maybe the 1400cc engine doesn’t want to idle the extra mass?

Thinks get pretty wild when you depart the norm. I had a Toyota Camry with a spun bearing in a 5S-FE 2.2L apart. ONE spun (actually gone gone, like wtf, not even the backing plate left) rod bearing. Thing couldn’t move itself up an incline with full throttle.

Haakon

Call me Ken, whoreken
ECU would chuck a wobbly if it was seeing 56 crank pulses per revolution to every 8 on the camshaft (or whatever our French friends designed) instead of the petrol cranks 64 pulses. That should pop a crank or camshaft sensor error code.

Maybe the 1400cc engine doesn’t want to idle the extra mass?

Thinks get pretty wild when you depart the norm. I had a Toyota Camry with a spun bearing in a 5S-FE 2.2L apart. ONE spun (actually gone gone, like wtf, not even the backing plate left) rod bearing. Thing couldn’t move itself up an incline with full throttle.
Or maybe the timing is slightly different. Dunno.

Lots of instances of people fitting light weight flywheels and ECU not being able to idle properly. Thinking the small extra mass might be at play.

Another one that came up as a maybe was the cruise control cutout switch on the clutch pedal! Apparently sometimes there are different MAP for clutch in and clutch out and some cars have odd behaviour like hanging revs when the switch is wonky. Wired. But my cruise does cancel properly on pressing the clutch…

link1896

Is not a gynaecologist but will look at your fork
Or maybe the timing is slightly different. Dunno.

Lots of instances of people fitting light weight flywheels and ECU not being able to idle properly. Thinking the small extra mass might be at play.

Another one that came up as a maybe was the cruise control cutout switch on the clutch pedal! Apparently sometimes there are different MAP for clutch in and clutch out and some cars have odd behaviour like hanging revs when the switch is wonky. Wired. But my cruise does cancel properly on pressing the clutch…
Gearbox out, engine running with your lovely wife on the throttle, angle grinder to the flywheel. Please get video

Haakon

Call me Ken, whoreken
I think i worked out why the new input shaft seal on the gearbox is leaking. I couldn't get the seal in a hurry for the Renault/Nissan gearbox, but discovered a Honda seal is the same dimensions and was in stock and cheap.

But of course the Honda engines run backwards... So the diagonal ridges on the seal lip that pull oil back from the seal are pushing out of the seal... Doh.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I think i worked out why the new input shaft seal on the gearbox is leaking. I couldn't get the seal in a hurry for the Renault/Nissan gearbox, but discovered a Honda seal is the same dimensions and was in stock and cheap.

But of course the Honda engines run backwards... So the diagonal ridges on the seal lip that pull oil back from the seal are pushing out of the seal... Doh.
Not all of them spin backwards, you must have been unlucky.