Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Can't say I'm a huge fan of their slab sided era but it sure grabbed attention. Alfa could always make a 4 cylinder sound 'right'.

The Brera is a pretty car and what modern Alfa should be IMHO.
I'd love one of those but don't have the cajones to take on that temperamental relationship with an Italian beauty.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Can't say I'm a huge fan of their slab sided era but it sure grabbed attention. Alfa could always make a 4 cylinder sound 'right'.

I'd love one of those but don't have the cajones to take on that temperamental relationship with an Italian beauty.
And this has the Busso V6 - I really should get a Busso at least once before I die... A 147 GTA would do nicely, but I do rather like the 164 (the one on a shared platform with the Saab 9000 and Lancia Delta).

Haakon

Keeps on digging

Just get the V6 - the engine blocks are made in Melbourne at the Holden engine plant that was there (Alfa heads though). That would be reliable right? Holden alloytec engines are totally known for their reliability....

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Just get the V6 - the engine blocks are made in Melbourne at the Holden engine plant that was there (Alfa heads though). That would be reliable right? Holden alloytec engines are totally known for their reliability....
It is a selling point in a around about way and probably a great move longer term, but, but , it isn't really an Alfa V6, well, you know.
One of my friends had a GTV6 and a rather nice Sprint that I lusted after while I was a teenager. Alfa's are so tempting.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
It is a selling point in a around about way and probably a great move longer term, but, but , it isn't really an Alfa V6, well, you know.
One of my friends had a GTV6 and a rather nice Sprint that I lusted after while I was a teenager. Alfa's are so tempting.
Dont be afraid of the engines - the Italians and French have always got that bit right and theyre tough and made to be beaten on. Its gearboxes and trim and electrics (less so on french stuff) that will get you.

But the modern stuff is fine really. Most of the components all come from the same suppliers as any other european brand. Just be aware and educated about how they work and dont let Japanese car mechanics near it.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
A friend had an alfa sud but I lusted after his sister. Weird hey.

edit, fixed auto cockup

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Dont be afraid of the engines - the Italians and French have always got that bit right and theyre tough and made to be beaten on. Its gearboxes and trim and electrics (less so on french stuff) that will get you.
I had a friend that used a Giulietta as daily driver to the city for a few years and surprisingly without any major issues. The Alfa 4 is venerable. I have quite a few Italian friends that have gone nuts for Alfa's and Lancia's. They do have that special something, no doubt.

I am a bit Euro scared admittedly plus going to a Brera loses a bit practicality with less power than the unruly Mazda shopping trolley of maximum HooHaa :)

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
But those engines don't have the chrome / polished inlet pipes of the earlier Alfa 3.2 V6 so they're obviously not as cool.

I have a long standing mistrust of Alfaholics - owing to being exposed to several mates when younger who got bitten hard and spent barrowloads of cash on rusted out Alfasuds (okay kinda cool if they were made with actual metal), Alfettas and dogshit 33s.

But that SZ and the Montreal, and the 75 and the 164 and that new Quadlifilogo whatever.... hmmmm..... Lancias and Maserati's are still cooler though ;)

Haakon

Keeps on digging
But those engines don't have the chrome / polished inlet pipes of the earlier Alfa 3.2 V6 so they're obviously not as cool.

I have a long standing mistrust of Alfaholics - owing to being exposed to several mates when younger who got bitten hard and spent barrowloads of cash on rusted out Alfasuds (okay kinda cool if they were made with actual metal), Alfettas and dogshit 33s.

But that SZ and the Montreal, and the 75 and the 164 and that new Quadlifilogo whatever.... hmmmm..... Lancias and Maserati's are still cooler though ;)
This Lancia is not cool… Yes, it is what you think it is :(

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
This Lancia is not cool… Yes, it is what you think it is :(

View attachment 381975
Christ, that's a Thema now? An 18 year old Chrysler 300C driven by wannabe tryhard gangstas based on a 25 year old Mercedes? How the mighty have fallen :(

Still, historically anything Alfa has done 1960s onwards still pales against the Fulvia, Flaminia and Lancia's batshit rally pedigree. Fight me.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Christ, that's a Thema now? An 18 year old Chrysler 300C driven by wannabe tryhard gangstas based on a 25 year old Mercedes? How the mighty have fallen :(

Still, historically anything Alfa has done 1960s onwards still pales against the Fulvia, Flaminia and Lancia's batshit rally pedigree. Fight me.
No arguments there. They taught VW about narrow V engines with a single head, they built the Stratos (case closed). They had a monoqucqe frame with independent suspension in the 1920s.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I hve had a trundle as passenger in a stock spec 5 cyl Quattro mkii. Was less impressive than I expected. There is one up here toting 1000bhp that has yet to hit the sprints. Be nice to see that go up against the two R35s that have 900+.