Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Slip - good luck with the project. I'm riding what I think is the same bike as in your avatar, a DRZ400SM. Loving it. It's as close feeling as riding a mtb as I can get :)

My dodgy camera phone shot shows just how similar they are in bar height and seat!

Funny how we all revolve around common interests. I've owned 6 minis (including a "hairy lime green" panel van, clubman front through 1978). The best cars I've had. I miss the petrol fumes in the morning - ha, but yeah such a raw unrefined way to drive, nothing beats it.

Attachments

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt

my e30 project.
putting coil overs in over summer. planing on some new wheels or ill mod the ones i have. we'll see.
ILY suG :D I've been checking out some E30's of late, freakin' nice cars, I'm going for the 2 door version though. Hope to get it late this year/early next as I'll be going for my P's in early April.

Matt H

Eats Squid
Remember that bimmer that was posted up with the tarbo'd M5 engine? I wanna see more of that car. :D

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ILY suG :D I've been checking out some E30's of late, freakin' nice cars, I'm going for the 2 door version though. Hope to get it late this year/early next as I'll be going for my P's in early April.
My brother had one. 2 door. Looked nice as. But went like an absolute sack of shit and only livened up around 4.5-5k rpm. Lowered properly and had a 3" straight through stainless exhaust which was as loud as fuuuuuuuuck (like rediculously loud).

hardinge915

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is my first project and first car. Its a 1969 morris mini panel van. Most of the works been done by the previous owner i just need to finish it off.
Loose the spoiler and you've won this thread. LOVE old school minis. Only way someone is going to top you in my books is if someone has an original cooper s.

i2obert

Likes Dirt
As some people know i have a evo 6 Track car (well semi track car / Road car )

new project car is a nissan cima that im building up for a daylie so i can turn the evo into a full track car :D

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
i2bert - pics/specs? Nice choice.

Slip - good luck with the project. I'm riding what I think is the same bike as in your avatar, a DRZ400SM. Loving it. It's as close feeling as riding a mtb as I can get :)
Wait till you try a motard with power and brakes! It was a 2004 Husky SM570R. Pity about the reliability and kickstart (DRZ wins there... bigtime), but 52.4rwhp with a stock exhaust and brembos.... woo!

Almost bought a DRZ-E that was converted but he wanted too much. Was damn good with racetech suspension through the twisties.

Have you ridden a Husky/KTM/Husaberg big bore motard?

Attachments

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian

I've only had one project car, and it didn't get too far after I purchased it. I found that it was full of rust.

jrewing

Eats Squid

Wait till you try a motard with power and brakes! It was a 2004 Husky SM570R. Pity about the reliability and kickstart (DRZ wins there... bigtime), but 52.4rwhp with a stock exhaust and brembos.... woo!

Almost bought a DRZ-E that was converted but he wanted too much. Was damn good with racetech suspension through the twisties.

A mate's mate had a husaberg. Awesome to ride. handling and powerwise. Such poor resale on them though. i'd love one in my stable though

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Yeah Husky and Husaberg resale sucks the big one. I only had one guy come look at mine, he flew to Bris and rode it back to Melb in 2 days. Insane. Called me when he got there asking if I had a few things, as they had all vibrated off.

KTM is probably the best option, decent reliability/parts availability and good poke/suspension/weight out of the box. LC4 engined ones are coming down in price quite well... Almost did it recently...

floody

Wheel size expert
Ah floody, nice plans for the 31. Should be a very nice package once finished. Guard work required for the wheels, especially the 9's on the front? I miss mine, especially after the skidpan day yesterday.
Nah front 9"s fit pretty easy, might have to roll the guards dependent on what springrate and height I run. They have approx 4mm clearance to the stock struts...9s about the limit in the front without overfenders I think.
They'll be ~10mm further out if I fit the S13 stuff but thats fine, just necessitates rolling the lip up.

Rears need the work, 17x10" +4. They're about ~10mm out of the stock, unrolled guards, but again, if I fold the lips up and pump the flare a little and they should tuck under easy, plus another 1/2" or so lower will get me some more camber and tuck.

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I rode a Husky, think a 450smr - test ride. It was absolutely mental. But the main reason I bought my DRZ (initially) was that I had previously lost my licence on my sportsbike for a mono - oops. So wanted something tame until the points accumulated again. It's my work commuter so for that, enough power to roost the scooters and lazy sports bike riders :). And I can have a heap of fun close to the speed limit. On the big v-twin, the grin only really started at around 120km/hr :rolleyes:

Loving the motard though, so when I'm flush with points I might either implement some of the many mods available for the DR, or look for something like a Duke 690. Not cheap though.

skivi

Likes Dirt
Loving the motard though, so when I'm flush with points I might either implement some of the many mods available for the DR, or look for something like a Duke 690. Not cheap though.
get onto the VSMR (Victorian Street Motard Riders club website/forum) stacks of useful info, heres one thread on modifying your drz link
from what i've heard the simple "3X3 airbox mod" (search it in youtube) and a nice exhaust jetted to suit will give you some more mumbo but unless your handy in the shed a big bore, hot cam, bigger carb and all the fiddling would probably cost more then it's worth once you factor in resale.

the head is coming off my H100 in two weeks, she's not starting after the carb and oil pump clean and compression is feeling very low. anyone got advice on making your own gaskets from sheets of gasket paper? or even just installing a gasket (i've never rerbuilt an engine)

Mojo

Likes Dirt
my new hobby,

MY07 subaru impreza WRX STi

planning on;
DBA 400 series slotted rotors
braided lines
m spec brake bads
3" full exhaust
cold air intake
ecutek tune
500hp fuel pump
volk racing CE28n 18" x 8.5"
larger TMIC havent really looked at brands yet

and then i will be really broke, but it will be fun, i wanna get around 220 kw's at all 4's

Attachments

exvitermini

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bike is a streetfighter project. I
fark slip,you seem like an older version of me in so many ways,think i've seen the old owners thread on asf as i've been browsing?

The yoshi has rivits right? drill them out and make a shorty :p ,Dont go a dirt bike light! please I beg you!

a DRZ400SM. Loving it. It's as close feeling as riding a mtb as I can get :)
any mods at all?

anyone got advice on making your own gaskets from sheets of gasket paper? or even just installing a gasket (i've never rerbuilt an engine)
Lightly grease object's surface you are making a gasket for, place gasket paper on objects surface and remove this should leave you with an outline to cut out. use a punch with a the right size hole in the middle to cut the bolt holes out and cut the rest out with a sharp knife/scissors or just have a gasket ordered into your local shop..

my baby with a few little changes..

got another one in the shed with a heavier clutch,pivot pegs and a few others things,but its primer grey and waiting on a yoshi!;)

Attachments

Last edited:
Just got rid of this, which has been my project since I was 19(turned 24 start of Oct.)

It was a 1990 Alfa 75 2.5v6 Auto originally, with the running gear, suspension/brakes and interior out of a 1990 Alfa 75 3litre manual that I had wrapped around a pole.....

Mechanically, a great car...Last of the Alfa RWD's, 50/50 balance, a healthy 3.0 12v v6 with different intake, and a nice loud exhaust, 111rwkw, 1050kg with a full tank of fuel..and Falken Azenis semi slicks

Body wise, it was a tad shabby, with faded paint, and rust in the floor(which I found...ooh, last year, when the car got run into when parked down in Frankston)

The car I wrapped around a pole was in much better condition(no rust, good paint...even had a working radio!), but hey, whats a 19 y.old meant to do with a 50% locked LSD and a wet road?

Bought this in October 2006, a 05 BA mkII XR6T...

November 06, got a Flash Edit done to it....Increased from 200rwkw, to 230rwkw...but @ 3000rpm, it was 60rwkw up from standard....

I then did a lot of this action with it...

And, currently sitting on the floor at home I have a Process West Stage 1 Intercooler Kit, new 3.5" MetalCat, and a set of 6 Siemens Deka 60lb injectors...all I need to get is a new fuel pump, then port the Wastegate & Stick in a 12psi Wastegate actuator, and Ill be looking at circa 290-300rwkw..

And a blown auto box, no doubt.

Last edited:

lebronmtb

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just got rid of this, which has been my project since I was 19(turned 24 start of Oct.)

It was a 1990 Alfa 75 2.5v6 Auto originally, with the running gear, suspension/brakes and interior out of a 1990 Alfa 75 3litre manual that I had wrapped around a pole.....

Mechanically, a great car...Last of the Alfa RWD's, 50/50 balance, a healthy 3.0 12v v6 with different intake, and a nice loud exhaust, 111rwkw, 1050kg with a full tank of fuel..and Falken Azenis semi slicks

Body wise, it was a tad shabby, with faded paint, and rust in the floor(which I found...ooh, last year, when the car got run into when parked down in Frankston)

The car I wrapped around a pole was in much better condition(no rust, good paint...even had a working radio!), but hey, whats a 19 y.old meant to do with a 50% locked LSD and a wet road?

Bought this in October 2006, a 05 BA mkII XR6T...

November 06, got a Flash Edit done to it....Increased from 200rwkw, to 230rwkw...but @ 3000rpm, it was 60rwkw up from standard....

And, currently sitting on the floor at home I have a Process West Stage 1 Intercooler Kit, new 3.5" MetalCat, and a set of 6 Siemens Deka 60lb injectors...all I need to get is a new fuel pump, then port the Wastegate & Stick in a 12psi Wastegate actuator, and Ill be looking at circa 290-300rwkw..

And a blown auto box, no doubt.
Arent the auto boxes in these really good? Is it the same box as in the f6 typhoon auto? I know the guy who owns the fastest typhoon in Victoria and he hasnt touched the gearbox yet. Plans on installing a transbrake soon but thats not really strengthening the box

Ivan

Eats Squid
Arent the auto boxes in these really good? Is it the same box as in the f6 typhoon auto? I know the guy who owns the fastest typhoon in Victoria and he hasnt touched the gearbox yet. Plans on installing a transbrake soon but thats not really strengthening the box
The Auto Boxes are good for up to 300 RWKW apparently. I know of at least one that has given up when more power than that has been put through it.

Shitbmxrider: you may have to upgrade your valve springs if your chasing those numbers.

Mines an 04 BA XR6T with the flash tune to 10psi.

Attachments