Project build - trek hard tail

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
So I have a trek marlin 5 sitting around that's full stock. It's my rat bike.

I'm thinking about giving it an overhaul to make it less shit to ride when I want to/need to. Possibly making it capable for a bit of trail bashing if I want to take a mate that doesn't ride etc.

The idea will be basically to replace everything but the frame. The stock parts are rubbish. I want to convert it to a 1x first of all, tubeless, change of forks etc.

Any tips or cost effective ideas people want to share? Any pitfalls I need to be aware of?

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
So I have a trek marlin 5 sitting around that's full stock. It's my rat bike.

I'm thinking about giving it an overhaul to make it less shit to ride when I want to/need to. Possibly making it capable for a bit of trail bashing if I want to take a mate that doesn't ride etc.

The idea will be basically to replace everything but the frame. The stock parts are rubbish. I want to convert it to a 1x first of all, tubeless, change of forks etc.

Any tips or cost effective ideas people want to share? Any pitfalls I need to be aware of?
It's a straight steerer headtube so finding a fork won't be easy. Also the freehub is 7 or 8 speed, will a 10sp fit?

Lastly, why not just buy a new bike?

moorey

call me Mia
Will be replacing the freehub/wheels.

Re new bike, because I'm hoping to not spend new bike money on a hardtail

Also planning on trying my hand at painting the frame.
In these Covid times, the upgrading might cost more than a good new/used bike unfortunately.

HamboCairns

Someone around here probably has an EC44/40 bottom headset cup that should take care of that. Failing that, could buy one new.
Does the Trek's head tube have an inside diameter of 44mm?

PJO

in me vL comy
Does the Trek's head tube have an inside diameter of 44mm?

In general...
If the headset cups are inside the frame (with a 1 1/8" fork) then it would be a 44mm.
Or (unlikely for Trek) a 49mm head tube, or even a 44/56 tapered head tube with a reducing crown race (even less likely).

If there is an external cup for the bearings then it isn't.

I looked at a few pics and the Marlin 5s I saw looked like the cups were inside the frame (hence 44mm).

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
In general...
If the headset cups are inside the frame (with a 1 1/8" fork) then it would be a 44mm.
Or (unlikely for Trek) a 49mm head tube, or even a 44/56 tapered head tube with a reducing crown race (even less likely).

If there is an external cup for the bearings then it isn't.

I looked at a few pics and the Marlin 5s I saw looked like the cups were inside the frame (hence 44mm).
I present The Vice Captain's Marlin 4. All internal, straight steerer.

I this had come up 48 hours earlier I could've measured it when I changed his forks. I doubt very much a Marlin 5 would be any different.

Reactions: PJO

HamboCairns

That's very interesting, I can eventually get a cheap tapered air fork for my wife's bike with the right headset!

Reactions: PJO