Problem: Keep current 29er and go on holiday, or spend $8K on a new 29er

Monks

Likes Dirt
So I'm about to make some money on some real estate, and I've got an enviable problem. I've got about $8K about to come in, so:

1. Keep my On One 29er, and spend $8K on something else, holiday in Fiji, skiing Canada, etc

2. Spend the cash on a new 29er, ie; tall boy, air carbon niner.

RICOCHET

Likes Dirt
Drop the 8g into Silver and forget about it.

Or Drop it into potential oil source, wait for 3 months when it goes off sit back and get your personal PA to buy you a bike and book your holiday (well maybe not that much money)

Big JD

Wheel size expert
both

Spend 4 grand on a secondhand boutique bike and ship it from the US and go on a holiday. Or go on a holiday to US, Canada or Hawaii and buy something while you are there - ride it and bring it home.
Cant fathom spending 8 to 10 grand on a bike here in OZ - not when our dollar is doing so well - buy secondhand parts and new frame. 4 grand and good shopping would be heaps
goodluck
JD

Last edited:

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
There is a shop in Sydney currently offering an Elsworth Carbon 29er with full Sram XX for a dollar less than $5k.
Buy that, never regret it, and spend 3k on a flipping nice holiday!

dbm081

Likes Bikes
I'm in agreeance with jd. Head to the states, pick up a bike and have a holiday while you're at it. Well worth the trip!!

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
There is a shop in Sydney currently offering an Elsworth Carbon 29er with full Sram XX for a dollar less than $5k.
Buy that, never regret it, and spend 3k on a flipping nice holiday!
Ummm have you _seen_ that ellsworth? Uuuuuuuuuggggglllllyyyyy!

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whatever makes you happy.

Make your decision based on serious reflection not forum poll results. :)

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Spend 4 grand on a secondhand boutique bike and ship it from the US and go on a holiday. Or go on a holiday to US, Canada or Hawaii and buy something while you are there - ride it and bring it home.
Cant fathom spending 8 to 10 grand on a bike here in OZ - not when our dollar is doing so well - buy secondhand parts and new frame. 4 grand and good shopping would be heaps
goodluck
JD
^^^^^^^^^^N+1

:cool:

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Go on the holiday, buy a bike and ship it home.
While OS, bet the change on 28 black and buy all your Rotorburn finance advisors some new bling bling for their bikes.
Enjoy you trip.
Cheers
MH

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ummm have you _seen_ that ellsworth? Uuuuuuuuuggggglllllyyyyy!
OMFG, just caught a glimpse of it. That bike got smashed with the ugly stick :)

Seriously, who in that company signed off on a bike that looks like that?

Alpha-J

Likes Bikes
OMFG, just caught a glimpse of it. That bike got smashed with the ugly stick :)

Seriously, who in that company signed off on a bike that looks like that?
Probably the same guy who signs off on how it RIDES. Isn't always about the looks.

Coming from an Ellsworth owner mind you :p

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Probably the same guy who signs off on how it RIDES. Isn't always about the looks.

Coming from an Ellsworth owner mind you :p
That's a fair point about the ride, it's all that counts.

I apologise for my post slagging off the bike's looks. :eek:

Cheers, Jim

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
That's a fair point about the ride, it's all that counts.

I apologise for my post slagging off the bike's looks. :eek:

Cheers, Jim
Meh... you don't judge a book by its cover... I agree...

But you don't pick up a book with an ugly cover in the first place!

(It's not like they _can't_ make good lookin bikes - I reckon my ellsworth crosser looks fantastic but seriously... you'd gnaw your own arm off to get away from that one!)

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Meh... you don't judge a book by its cover... I agree...

But you don't pick up a book with an ugly cover in the first place!

(It's not like they _can't_ make good lookin bikes - I reckon my ellsworth crosser looks fantastic but seriously... you'd gnaw your own arm off to get away from that one!)
Ellsworth have created some of the nicest looking 26" duallies IMHO, so you're right, they can make eye candy.

Something about the way that 29er looks feels wrong on every level. Might feel great on the trail, who knows? You still have to look at the frikkin' thing when it's hanging in your garage. I suppose that's more encouragement to ride i.e. "keep cranking, I can't stand still with this bike, last time I stopped the bike made a little kid cry"... :)

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Ellsworth have created some of the nicest looking 26" duallies IMHO, so you're right, they can make eye candy.

Something about the way that 29er looks feels wrong on every level. Might feel great on the trail, who knows? You still have to look at the frikkin' thing when it's hanging in your garage. I suppose that's more encouragement to ride i.e. "keep cranking, I can't stand still with this bike, last time I stopped the bike made a little kid cry"... :)
Yup, the pic you included is the first time I had seen one built up... before then I was thinking 'maybe it would look ok once it was put together'.

Nope.

Although it probably does ride very nicely...

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Hey monks,

I'm with the majority here. Many years ago I have a pocket full of cash and wanted to either go o/s or buy a ZXR750. I asked my mate's dad who was very well off, and he told me that I can always get a motorbike but I may never have then chance to go overseas again.

Suffice to say I went o/s and had a cracker of a time and it was definitely the right decision for me, or anyone really.

Go o/s and if you see a good bike over there grab it, if not and you want to keep partying do that, but your first action is to go and buy your plane ticket, then work out the rest.

In case you were wondering, since that time I have been overseas several times and I have bought and sold so many bikes I'd have to write a list to rememeber them all. But I can remember each trip like it was yesterday, and they were all awesome.

Hope that makes sense (go o/s mate, go go go)