Price Estimate?

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
A number of factors have led me to the decision to sell my beloved Avanti, and I'm after some input into what sort of asking price I should place on it - it'll be in the For Sale section very soon. I don't really expect too much, but I'm thinking it'll be at least 1-2yrs before I'm back riding properly, so I figure I may as well cut my losses now & buy when I start again.

After buying it second hand, I have owned it for just under 12 months - and it has not been ridden since November 2008. Still in top-quality condition, minus the expected chain-stay stone chips & a few scuff marks.

I would estimate it is probably due for a routine service.

Frame - 2005 Avanti Aggressor
Fork - Fox Vanilla RL100 (Coil Sprung)
Handlebars - Easton EA50
Stem - Easton EA50
Grips - Giant Lock-On
Saddle - Specialized Body Geometry
Pedals - Shimano M-520
Chain - Shimano HG-73
Front brake - Shimano LX
Rear brake - Shimano LX
Cranks - Shimano LX
Front shifter - Shimano LX Dual Control
Rear shifter - Shimano LX Dual Control
Cassette - Shimano LX
Front hub - Shimano LX
Rear hub - Shimano LX
Front derailleur - Shimano LX
Rear derailleur - Shimano XT

Rims - Mavic XM-317
Front Tyre - Maxxis Ignitor 2.35''
Rear Tyre - Maxxis Crossmark 2.1''

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
That bike is specced as good as the current Giant XtC-2 and would probably serve a person, looking for either a decent XC bike (but only being able to afford say a Talon/Alias/Yukon spec bike), or someone upgrading from such a bike. Start ya biddings at $1000 and drop it accordingly.

The forks themselves retail for $400-$500 but even Fox depreciate. Probably fetch $300-$350 second hand for them.

Good luck!

chops007

Likes Dirt
1st tip would be to take a photo of the bike in your loungeroom so ppl think thats were u keep it,,, and not in a creek..

do a search on ebay on finished listings

fkdbikes

Likes Bikes
1st tip would be to take a photo of the bike in your loungeroom so ppl think thats were u keep it,,, and not in a creek..

I reckon! Reminds me of those catalogue shots where someone's dipping their bike in the sea!
It's a nicely done pic but you should just take a pic against a plain wall or something to sell it.

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Serious? :eek: I thought that he actually kept it in there!

IMO the picture is good, something different than the plain old background but not enough to make the eyes wander from the bike, but what the he'll, who cares, it's just a picture and this isn't his thread for selling it!

As already said, start at around $1,000 and drop accordingly would be good. Although if it were me I'd start even a tad higher, can't hurt to start to high! ;)

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
I have a few more pics, so that's not an issue....not that it ever really was but.

Thanks for the input guys :)

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
I have the same bike, I would consider how much you could get for it and how easy it would be to sell in it's current condition.
A year ago when I thought about selling mine I knew that it would be hard with the worn out drive train I had at the time, so I bought new stuff and replaced everything bar the shifters, not only would it have made it easier to sell (IMO - it is a 2005 bike after all, and it was still stock..) it also freshened it up so much I couldn't sell it.

I don't know if the latter would happen to you, but as a potential buyer it would make me quite interested, only other real thing then would be possibly servicing the forks.

I reckon you'd easily get over a grand if you did that, but otherwise I'd probably say less. At the end of the day it's your bike though, and do as you will, but that's just something to consider anyway.
I don't know how much yours cost new but mine was $1800, I did get a good deal though I don't know how good a deal it was...

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
I'll take it into my LBS this weekend for a service & check-up, just to be safe before selling. Not really interested in buying new componentry at this stage, especially seeing as though it'd have to be taken to the shop for installation. Just keen to move it now....

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
From memory, he got it for this much.

Don't bother replacing bits. Leave that to a potential buyer me thinks. At the end of the day, even with a worn out drivechain, there is the potential for someone to pick up a nice bike, at the fraction of cost of a new one.

Last edited: