Press fit bottom bracket concern

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Shit, I didn't know these were available. I ordered a replacement for my current creaking nightmare from bikebug.com.au that is basically just an aluminium shell version of the inadequate plastic cup basic design. Fuggheditabout!
There's a few different manufacturers doing the same thing.
I always use Hope PF Thread together bb"s, never any creaking issues.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

mark22

Likes Dirt
Hey, need some advice on this one please.

Getting around to building up a new frame (first time) and not overly happy how loose the pressfit bottom bracket is.

Purchased a wheels mfg bb92 thread together bottom bracket for sram gxp cranks to try and avoid pressfit problems like this:
http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-bracket...contact-bb-for-24-22mm-sram-cranks-black.html

Problem is the drive side cup just presses in by hand 100% of the way with not a huge amount of force, the non drive side goes in about 50% of the way by hand.

Is this a bad thing?
What do I do - buy a different standard sram bb92 bottom bracket to try? use a retaining compound? suck it and see? Or PANIC? :fear:

Thanks

Do you have the tools to tighten the screw together BB you have?

I fitted a Wheels Manufacturing PF (not the screw together as yours)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FQQ0FXA/ref=pe_825000_114657650_TE_item
and it is tight both sides, pressed in with homemade press threaded rod with plate each side, no creaking thus far and top quality Angular contact bearings to, running much smoother than the relatively new ones that were in it.

Last edited:

redbruce

Eats Squid

and it is tight both sides, pressed in with homemade press threaded rod with plate each side, no creaking thus far and top quality Angular contact bearings to, running much smoother than the relatively new ones that were in it.
Same.

I also had zero probs with OEM SRAM PF assembly (on carbon Epic).

Only replaced "cause bearings went and I thought the Wheels PF was a better engineered device. Have had no issues with it either.

3beers

Squid
If it is the screw-type PF BB from wheels there is no need for loctite. It relies on the friction on the shoulders so as not to move.
I've used it to cure a creak before.
Hi all thanks for the advice, went and installed it - will just have to see how it goes.

Used PTFE grease as recommended, it threaded together nicely and torqued up so fingers crossed, had the bbt29 tool for install. You can feel how it grabs on the shoulders as it torqued up so hopefully it is a good thing. :noidea:

Binaural

Eats Squid

My current creaker is the 30mm axle version of the same BB you have, inserted into a custom titanium frame with a homemade bearing press the machinist at work whipped up for me. I got 6 months out of it riding mostly commuter milk runs and a few out of town rides in 99% dry conditions before it started to audibly count my pedal strokes. That was not much longer than it took my SRAM plastic housing bearings to turn on me, even though the quality is far better. Hopefully you get a better result than I did (I am tall and heavy).

On another note - I tried to exchange my standard wheels mfg PF30 BB that I ordered a few weeks ago from bike bug for one of the screw-up models people are talking about here, and was told the supplier doesn't import them. Wiggle, CRC etc don't seem to have them either and nobody really seems to sell them. Would I have to buy direct from wheels mfg or is there another option out there? Where did you guys get yours?

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
they can't go anywhere (the bb bearings) as they'll have the cranks on each side keeping them together and the shaft keeping them aligned.

what will happen is they'll creak as you put them under load - this will happen once you think everything is sweet.

only solution is loctite bearing mount product.

after that its epoxy the bastards in to stop creak.

so much easier when you could screw in the bb.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
My current creaker is the 30mm axle version of the same BB you have, inserted into a custom titanium frame with a homemade bearing press the machinist at work whipped up for me. I got 6 months out of it riding mostly commuter milk runs and a few out of town rides in 99% dry conditions before it started to audibly count my pedal strokes. That was not much longer than it took my SRAM plastic housing bearings to turn on me, even though the quality is far better. Hopefully you get a better result than I did (I am tall and heavy).

On another note - I tried to exchange my standard wheels mfg PF30 BB that I ordered a few weeks ago from bike bug for one of the screw-up models people are talking about here, and was told the supplier doesn't import them. Wiggle, CRC etc don't seem to have them either and nobody really seems to sell them. Would I have to buy direct from wheels mfg or is there another option out there? Where did you guys get yours?
You mean these?

http://www.scvimports.com.au/wheels-threaded-30mm-black-p-8137.html

And you can buy direct from them.