Powerlink Issues...

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
Are powerlinks known to be difficult to get on when brand new? Not only is it not locking into place properly, but it's ridiculously stiff which obviously poses a problem for the chain when running through the cassette/chainrings. Brand new chain also, and it's still being a right pain in the ass.

Edit. Can't even get the bloody thing off now.

Last edited:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I reckon you might have a ten speed link on a nine speed chain.
They should click in nice and smooth with no resistance. Never had any probs with them.

Are the pins in the links nice and straight?

0psi

Eats Squid
I've actually had a few issues with the 10spd ones. Brand new link on brand new chain and they're really hard to get together but I've never had one that's resulted in a stiff link. It's usually the little groove in the end of the pin that's the issue, they giving it a really good clean (I found the packing grease had gummed it up a little) and sitting down with a pair of pliers and pulling the link apart and together again without the chain. I did this 15-20 times and it's much better snaps together without trouble but still need a pair of quicklink pliers to get them apart.

commanderkeen

Likes Bikes
I don't think that powerlinks come in 10spd.
the 10 speeds only come with powerlocks which are only designed for one time use.

• PowerLock: SRAM chain engineers developed PowerLock as a tool free, sure and consistent way to connect our 10 speed chains. While PL does not require special tools for install, the especially tight tolerances of 10 Speed drive trains mandated that each PowerLock is good for a one-time application only.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=871

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
It's definitely a 9spd gold powerlink with a 9spd Shimano hg73 chain. Might give it a bit of a scrub/degrease and keep working at it.

darrenjm1

Likes Bikes
I used to have powerlink issues until a mechanic at CP this year showed me a simple yet effective technique to snap on the link and get it working like it was just another link in the chain - which it is. First, you need an really clean chain which can be an issue if you out on the trails when your chain snaps but dirt is the enemy here. Clean as best you can as dirt or excessive grease/lube will cause a stiff link. Second, pull the chain together and place both sides of the link on the chain so it becomes a loop again. Third, make sure the link is on the chain between the chainring and cassette, not the chainring and derailleur so the link is above the chainstay. Here's the trick, hold on to the backwheel then with your right hand push down on the crankarm. The link should snap into place and it's so easy. The key though is to get the chain as clean as you can.

0psi

Eats Squid
• PowerLock: SRAM chain engineers developed PowerLock as a tool free, sure and consistent way to connect our 10 speed chains. While PL does not require special tools for install, the especially tight tolerances of 10 Speed drive trains mandated that each PowerLock is good for a one-time application only.
That's handy to know. Off to buy more KMC quicklinks then.