Pools without chlorine...help

MARKL

Eats Squid
So, we bought a house with a massive pool last summer. 15m long 2.6m deep, call it a 100,000 litres for a round number. I have never owned or a wanted a pool but I did enjoy it last summer after a ride and looking forward to getting it to run better this summer.

My better half would love to run it as a natural pool, no chlorine etc. Filter beds, fish and all that stuff...I can't see my daughter accepting that option under any circumstance. Which brings me to the other non-chlorine (non salt) options.

Has anyone had any experience with other non-chlorine systems, ionization, ozone or UV? Good, bad?

I have looked at a couple of systems and am really keen to hear people's real world experiences.

Thanks

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
A well run saltwater pool is very hard to beat. The free chlorine level is very low at 1-3 ppm. Chlorinators are now very reliable and as long as you use a pool cover, maintenance should be pretty low. Having rooftop solar to run the pump is a bonus too.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

John U

MTB Precision
Great pick up! That’s a massive pool. Average back yard job is around 8m.
Why no salt?

I have an Enviroswim unit - uses ionization. Tastes and smells like normal tap water.

In summer it sometimes needs a bit of acid, else the algae settles where there is no water movement. Other than that, no chemicals.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Built a pool at the last house I owned and ran it with magnesium and potassium salts instead of NaCl - it's still chlorinated but those salts never left a crust on your skin and you didn't feel like you needed a shower afterwards. Good for a late night "swim" with the missus... I think the magnesium also acted as a flocculant and helped to remove find dust/dirt suspended in the water.

I did look at non-chlorine options at the time but it seemed like a lot of faffing around compared to salt. Also, UV and Ozone sanitisation doesn't leave 'residuals' in the pool like chlorine pools, which keep the bugs at bay even when the filter isn't running.

As much as your wife wants to be chemical free, if you want a safe, cheap, clean and low maintenance pool to swim in, then +1 to Oddjob's recommendation. Once the chlorination is sorted, there's bugger all to do aside from manage pH with a little acid from time to time. And, if you thought MTB was full of over-priced product rip-offs, wait until you see how the pool industry works. I dare you to take a water sample to your local pool shop and have them test it and tell you what chemicals you need!

MARKL

Eats Squid
Great pick up! That’s a massive pool. Average back yard job is around 8m.
Why no salt?
I agree with Oddjob that salt seems the simplest option but the minister for war and finance is an architect so we don't do anything the simple way.

MARKL

Eats Squid
I have an Enviroswim unit - uses ionization. Tastes and smells like normal tap water.

In summer it sometimes needs a bit of acid, else the algae settles where there is no water movement. Other than that, no chemicals.
Enviroswim is one of the ones we have looked at. Would you do it again?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
A mate went with ionisation. He did have some difficulties getting it working correctly. He is an accountant though. Water tasted metallic. Some say this is normal. Some say this is a set up problem. Some say this is normal but avoidable. All I know is he isnt the Stig.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
With ionisation, ozone etc, how do you know if system is effectively sanitising the pool, aside from a visual check of whether the pool is green or not?

Enviroswim is one of the ones we have looked at. Would you do it again?

Yes. Had all sorts of different pools - this is definitely the easiest to maintain, and the nicest to swim in. The running costs are minimal, but the ionization unit will need to be replaced at some stage. Ours still looks good after 3yrs, so I think it will work out cheaper in the long run

With ionisation, ozone etc, how do you know if system is effectively sanitising the pool, aside from a visual check of whether the pool is green or not?
It's a pool, not a septic tank, so I'm happy that a clear pool is clean enough for us. We swim in dams and rivers when we go camping, so not too concerned with a few micro-bugs in the pool water.