Pole Bikes - Evolink

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Yeah, admittedly, you can choose different colours but if you stray from anything pretty stock the cost hikes pretty quickly as the good colours are ticking in about +100Euro per bike section.
As far as cost goes, the Evolink 150's are about 2000Euro +postage and have those clever modular dropouts for all your wheel standards and a clever workaround for transporting such a long bike (because fitting them in a bag is gonna be tricky!).
The Nicolai G series frames are around 2400Euro +postage, which is a fair wollop more, but also comes stock with a Fox Float X2 and about the sexiest external gusseting outside of what Canfield have done with the Balance.

But I mean...look at them!!! I know that's the gearbox version pictured, but you get the idea. They might not do it for everyone, but holy shit they do it for me!!!! Industrial look done perfectly!!! (I'm pretty much in max froth mode right now).
I do love a good Nicolai, and the industrial/old-school look they have really does it for me (which is also why I liked Banshee!)... but if I was gonna get a Nicolai I'd want the gearbox version, haha. Just 'cause!

Seeing as I've got a road trip to Daintree coming up in Sept, I think new frame time will be a touch delayed... otherwise I'd have the frame on its way in August. But I'm quite sold on the Evolink I think.
I just have to decide between the 150, running 27.5 using my existing wheels and the Monarch Plus that comes on the frame until I can afford a Coil CS in the correct size.

OR

The 140, using my existing Coil CS, selling my existing wheels, selling the Monarch Plus, changing my existing wheels out the wheels to a 27.5 Hope 35W set and getting plus tyres as I'm really not that keen on rolling on wagons!

BUT... I may need a new fork for that, and I'm not really sold on any of the current boost forks... or plus tyres for that matter. Then shit starts to get quite pricey!

150 seems like the best bet, really.

Z

Zaf

I do love a good Nicolai, and the industrial/old-school look they have really does it for me (which is also why I liked Banshee!)... but if I was gonna get a Nicolai I'd want the gearbox version, haha. Just 'cause!

Seeing as I've got a road trip to Daintree coming up in Sept, I think new frame time will be a touch delayed... otherwise I'd have the frame on its way in August. But I'm quite sold on the Evolink I think.
I just have to decide between the 150, running 27.5 using my existing wheels and the Monarch Plus that comes on the frame until I can afford a Coil CS in the correct size.

OR

The 140, using my existing Coil CS, selling my existing wheels, selling the Monarch Plus, changing my existing wheels out the wheels to a 27.5 Hope 35W set and getting plus tyres as I'm really not that keen on rolling on wagons!

BUT... I may need a new fork for that, and I'm not really sold on any of the current boost forks... or plus tyres for that matter. Then shit starts to get quite pricey!

150 seems like the best bet, really.

Why the hold out on 29ers?! The 140 has become their signature bike at this point, and probably with good reason. You're one of those guys who ragged on 29ers and will catch hell from your mates if you roll up on one aren't you?!
I think it's better if you don't buy a bike on compatibility with existing parts for transfer, buy the bike you want to ride, and budget for the parts accordingly.

I know that the Pole Evolink 130 will parts transfer with my Stumpjumper FSR perfectly (shock stroke, wheels, etc.)...but I'd want to buy the Evolink 140, so I'm not going to shell out on that bike just because some parts are compatible. Start with what you want, find a way to make it work.

As a rough spread sheet, you're probably looking at the following for a complete build.

Frame: $3500AUD (landed in country after conversion, duty, GST, etc.)
Wheels: $500 Bicycle Market and Buy, Swap, Sells have amazing deals on these at the moment that can drop this estimate, I'm always seeing good wheels pop up in common sizes.
Drivetrain: SLX full build kit is $500 as an upper limit.
Forks: Non-boost 2016 Fox 36's are about $1100 from in country at the moment.
Contact points: $800 for a nice dropper, cockpit, pedals etc. Should cover you quite neatly.

So even rounding up we're in the $6500 budget. Minus whatever you can sell the current rig for, and then fine tune where you can save a little more money here and there. Just do it already! It's only money, you can make more.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Why the hold out on 29ers?! The 140 has become their signature bike at this point, and probably with good reason. You're one of those guys who ragged on 29ers and will catch hell from your mates if you roll up on one aren't you?!
I think it's better if you don't buy a bike on compatibility with existing parts for transfer, buy the bike you want to ride, and budget for the parts accordingly.

I know that the Pole Evolink 130 will parts transfer with my Stumpjumper FSR perfectly (shock stroke, wheels, etc.)...but I'd want to buy the Evolink 140, so I'm not going to shell out on that bike just because some parts are compatible. Start with what you want, find a way to make it work.

As a rough spread sheet, you're probably looking at the following for a complete build.

Frame: $3500AUD (landed in country after conversion, duty, GST, etc.)
Wheels: $500 Bicycle Market and Buy, Swap, Sells have amazing deals on these at the moment that can drop this estimate, I'm always seeing good wheels pop up in common sizes.
Drivetrain: SLX full build kit is $500 as an upper limit.
Forks: Non-boost 2016 Fox 36's are about $1100 from in country at the moment.
Contact points: $800 for a nice dropper, cockpit, pedals etc. Should cover you quite neatly.

So even rounding up we're in the $6500 budget. Minus whatever you can sell the current rig for, and then fine tune where you can save a little more money here and there. Just do it already! It's only money, you can make more.
Yeah but if I use existing parts, it's ~$3500 for a 150 frame, ~$250 for a new Mattoc CSU (need a longer steerer for the Evolink head tube), and ~$850 for a new Coil CS in the appropriate size later down the track.
Coming in around the $3750 mark initially... then ~$4600 after a new coil purchase.

Everything else I've got from the Spitfire!
Save small things like new brake and shifter hoses/cables, etc. to accommodate the longer frame.

Last edited:
Z

Zaf

Yeah but if I use existing parts, it's ~$3500 for a 150 frame, ~$250 for a new Mattoc CSU (need a longer steerer for the Evolink head tube), and ~$850 for a new Coil CS in the appropriate size later down the track.
Coming in around the $3750 mark initially... then ~$4600 after a new coil purchase.

Everything else I've got from the Spitfire!
Save small things like new brake and shifter hoses/cables, etc. to accommodate the longer frame.
So if your "out of pocket" in both cases is comparable, but one option gives new parts all round, it should be a no brainer.

Ideate

Dazzle.. "It's only money, you can make more." is the only thing that makes sense here.

Either way it's going to be rad. I don't think you're going to do it though.. nah you won't m8. Go on!!!!! YOU WON'T!!

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
So if your "out of pocket" in both cases is comparable, but one option gives new parts all round, it should be a no brainer.
Perhaps, but new parts is irrelevant if I'm just gonna pick brand new versions of my existing parts - which are totally fine as is! :thumb:

With a 140 frame, my out of pocket would be significantly more though.
I'd have to sell my 27.5 wheels at what... ~$350 with tyres?
Buy a new set for the 29 frame @ ~$700, + ~$150 for new tyres, + the cost of new valves and Stans tape.
New fork @ $800-$1200

That's a pretty big gap over a mere $250 + $850 for CSU + Coil CS.

Plus the 150 will be a better descender with a slightly slacker head angle, and a touch more playful with the lower rotational mass on smaller wheels.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Sounds like you just talked yourself into the 150. Imo I'd rather have the longer travel that than plus size tyres.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
We all know 29 clears trail obstacles with less fuss due to the better rollover, but speed doesn't bother me because I don't race competitively.

Sounds like you just talked yourself into the 150. Imo I'd rather have the longer travel that than plus size tyres.
Yeah, I was originally pretty sold on the 140 w/27.5+ but with further research on what's around... the current crop of plus-sized gear did little to sway me from going for the 150 instead.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Nah, as mentioned earlier... I've got a road trip to QLD coming up so it's putting a dent in things.

And... disgusting orange isn't for me, considering half the bits from my Spitfire are Hope purple.
Purple hubs are a must.

I would have been on track to place an order for the frame in August (just getting my research done early so I can properly plan), but will likely be delayed until Oct/Nov at this rate.

Yay for being a low earner with high living costs!

Ultra Lord

Yep, know them struggles. It's an expensive lifestyle this mtb shit. Post ride beers don't help either.

I look forward to hearing a real dude ride report on one when you get it built.

Z

Zaf

Sorry guys! But you should buy bikes first and think of financial consequences second!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ultra Lord

That line of thinking is how I ended up impulse buying a 75series landcruiser ute.
Luckily I'm in love with my tranny fleet so no desire to downgrade bikes.

It sure is a fun way to live.

Edit: cant get better than transition. No more upgrading bikes

Last edited:
Z

Zaf

That line of thinking is how I ended up impulse buying a 75series landcruiser ute.
Luckily I'm in love with my tranny fleet so no desire to upgrade bikes.

It sure is a fun way to live.
That's the spirit!