Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
How do you like them batteries?

What a great idea. I imagine the hydrogen and nuclear lobbyists are leaning hard on their pollie mates to put the kibosh on this.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Agent Smith was right.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What would happen if they used some sort of evaporation to dispose of the waste water? Would there be some sort of crystallised nuclear waste like the salt from sea water?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
What would happen if they used some sort of evaporation to dispose of the waste water? Would there be some sort of crystallised nuclear waste like the salt from sea water?
Yes. A friend's husband works in water treatment and was working on treating the waste water from Olympic Dam with RO filters and evaporation ponds.

Tritium has a half life of 12 years, but shock horror the Pacific is very very big. See
and fast forward to 46:43.

Before any of the greenies jump down my throat, that guy is a lecturer from MIT teaching post grads. He is subject to much higher ethical and research standards than any of us.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Reactions: PJO

Freediver

I can go full Karen
It would work but you have 2 problems, the first 1 being the energy required and the second one being at the moment the waste is very diluted and not all that nasty, if you concentrate it you end up with another set of problems.
I should add that's 1300000000 litres of water you need to evaporate

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Yes. A friend's husband works in water treatment and was working on treating the waste water from Olympic Dam with RO filters and evaporation ponds.

Tritium has a half life of 12 years, but shock horror the Pacific is very very big. See
and fast forward to 46:43.

Before any of the greenies jump down my throat, that guy is a lecturer from MIT teaching post grads. He is subject to much higher ethical and research standards than any of us.

I just realised the reason why there is tritium in that waste water. Tritium is a hydrogen atom with two neutrons. So that waste water contains heavy water. Separating that out in bulk is a pain in the ass.

If we had working fusion reactors or were planning to make lots of hydrogen bombs it would be worth reprocessing. But as it is it will just sink straight to the bottom of the ocean and decay relatively harmlessly into Helium.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
I just realised the reason why there is tritium in that waste water. Tritium is a hydrogen atom with two neutrons. So that waste water contains heavy water. Separating that out in bulk is a pain in the ass.

If we had working fusion reactors or were planning to make lots of hydrogen bombs it would be worth reprocessing. But as it is it will just sink straight to the bottom of the ocean and decay relatively harmlessly into Helium.
I just did a quick me and it turns out Helium-3 is a very valuable resource or at least has the potential to be.