Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Just another reminder that VicForest are a pack of &*$%'s:
Vicforests lost $5000000 dollars last year after a state govt. bail out of $28000000. This means they actually cost the state $33000000. You then have the equivilent of the emissions of 70000 cars that will take generations to be reabsorbed by the same patch of forest if it grows back.
https://www.theage.com.au/environme...uivalent-to-700-000-cars-20221101-p5buqm.html

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Lol, as if you needed it but how good is this as an example of the absolute hopelessness and hypocrisy of relying on individual action:

By July 2021, they write, the first season of the show, which is equivalent to around three to four films, had generated roughly 14,387 tonnes of carbon dioxide – five times what the British Film Commission estimates an average “tentpole”, or blockbuster, film would produce. Calculating how much waste the production had sent to landfill was more difficult – the team notes their figures won’t capture the total waste, as the company was using “multiple vendors” and “we still have a lot yet to count”.

One vendor reported collecting 11,433 cubic metres of landfill waste so far that season – about four-and-a-half Olympic-size swimming pools. A second collected 30.5 cubic metres of soft plastic and 1,885 cubic metres of landfill waste. A third reported having collected 355.5 tonnes of landfill waste – the weight of around 25 London double-decker buses.

The team had success with some initiatives: recycling office paper waste and batteries, installing an electric vehicle charging station at each studio, introducing re-usable water bottles, encouraging crew to eat vegetarian one day a week, and working with local disposal companies to compost or recycle 3,490 cubic metres of waste – but the scale of disposal remained enormous.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There was already a reuse with the original shopping bags as garbage bags. Then I was forced to move to heavier plastics or other bags that don‘t get reused as much as expected. What a scam by the supermarkets to get climate kudos while making the whole situation worse. Then they release those collectable plastic toys And no one calls that out As pure waste. At least the co op I am in deals mostly in cardboard.

Flow-Rider

Burner
There was already a reuse with the original shopping bags as garbage bags. Then I was forced to move to heavier plastics or other bags that don‘t get reused as much as expected. What a scam by the supermarkets to get climate kudos while making the whole situation worse. Then they release those collectable plastic toys And no one calls that out As pure waste. At least the co op I am in deals mostly in cardboard.
I used to think those brown paper shopping bags were better than plastic bags but apparently not.
More weight in transport, release more toxins into the water and soils when they break down, have a limited life cycle in recycling, more water and energy used in production, and need oxygen to break down which it doesn't get in a landfill.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
It isn't viable and never was, they suck money out of the governments in grants.
Given that you can buy garbage bags that are made from recycled plastic bags and plastic from the sea why don't we just specify that all plastic bags in Australia have a minimum recycled content? Even if the bags are made O/S they would need feed stock from places like Australia.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I don’t think it’s my lefty bias at play too much, but this came across as a refreshingly straight up and non political style interview. Maybe I’m just used the obvious BS and spin from the last decade…

Reactions: PJO

Flow-Rider

Burner
Given that you can buy garbage bags that are made from recycled plastic bags and plastic from the sea why don't we just specify that all plastic bags in Australia have a minimum recycled content? Even if the bags are made O/S they would need feed stock from places like Australia.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
It's like the mountainous stock piles of glass we have that are sitting here doing nothing waiting to get recycled. Cheap labour rates will help in recycling but then you have scrupulous operators in third world countries that dump it in the ground or ocean and take the money as we've seen in the past. The best thing to do is not use it at all or multiple uses as many times as you can.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What a scam by the supermarkets to get climate kudos while making the whole situation worse.
Coles and Woolworths had been trying to push the cost of shopping bags onto consumers for as long as I can remember. They could never get it over the line though...until now.

And didn't you guys watch the war on waste? Your garbage bins should be bag free.

In times when I am not just stuffing everything in my backpack (like I did today***) I get a box from the bottle shop and load my groceries in that. Then I use the box for my other recycling for a few weeks until it becomes obvious the box won't survive another round of Glen 20 and it also gets recycled.

*** Want the people of Newcastle to look at you like you need to be hospitalised for your own safety? Ride through town with a large bushel of green herbs (in this case fresh basil) in your hand. It was a real traffic stopper.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Coles and Woolworths had been trying to push the cost of shopping bags onto consumers for as long as I can remember. They could never get it over the line though...until now.

And didn't you guys watch the war on waste? Your garbage bins should be bag free.

In times when I am not just stuffing everything in my backpack (like I did today***) I get a box from the bottle shop and load my groceries in that. Then I use the box for my other recycling for a few weeks until it becomes obvious the box won't survive another round of Glen 20 and it also gets recycled.

*** Want the people of Newcastle to look at you like you need to be hospitalised for your own safety? Ride through town with a large bushel of green herbs (in this case fresh basil) in your hand. It was a real traffic stopper.
No wonder they hunt you down and take your bikes. :p

Have a look at all the packages of biscuits and cakes in Woolies, even some of the steaks, a lot of it is contained in that hard thick plastic.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
This is excellent. Especially for old privleged white men who are scared of children with facts (the majority of Greta haters).