Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yep it's a bit like Tasmania, great marketing. and the toxic Tamar/Derwent.
Intensive dairying in relatively small areas, probably not going to change to quick with China being NZ biggest export market.
I can only imagine the problems in Tassy with the influx of new people after seeing what’s happened up here in Qld, I suppose they need to make employment for the population growth.

I tried to find an over all figure in percentage for Australia but couldn't, no doubt it's pretty bad as well. In NZ it's something like 60% of their rivers are screwed from too many nitrates cause by the farming industry. I've always imagined NZ as backwards in the good way, sort of like the last frontier of clean country farms.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
One of the design jobs I was involved with at first engineering position was a beach scourer. Mounted to the back of a 4wd tractor and uses the pto to slowly spin a mesh cage, scoup beneath picked up sand at whatever depth you set and the sand went through the mesh leaving detritus behind. Amazing the shit that people left behind at the beach. Council used it for a while then for some reason stopped. Probably too hard to coordinate operators and low tides. Pity it was very effective.

Flow-Rider

Burner
That's horrifying.
Yeah, interesting to see when they hit the bigger patches.

One of the design jobs I was involved with at first engineering position was a beach scourer. Mounted to the back of a 4wd tractor and uses the pto to slowly spin a mesh cage, scoup beneath picked up sand at whatever depth you set and the sand went through the mesh leaving detritus behind. Amazing the shit that people left behind at the beach. Council used it for a while then for some reason stopped. Probably too hard to coordinate operators and low tides. Pity it was very effective.
Were they the ones that gold coast council used for a while and found all the epidermic syringes in the sand?

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
Stayed at Palm Beach a few times and they were using this on the beach some mornings. Haven't been down there for a couple of years, but it seemed quite effective judging by the volume of crap congregating in the basket. Nice job!

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Don't they have something similar for Bondi beach to clean up cigarette butts?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
fyi - i watched a bit of it and is as expected. I guess doing a nuke piece allows them a little continuity in still being able to slag of renewables while decrying the emissions of coal under the about face on emissions from head office.

Watching fucking Kenny banging on about the emissions from coal was about as much as I could handle without breaking my phone so I stopped there... What a tunt.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
fyi - i watched a bit of it and is as expected. I guess doing a nuke piece allows them a little continuity in still being able to slag of renewables while decrying the emissions of coal under the about face on emissions from head office.

Watching fucking Kenny banging on about the emissions from coal was about as much as I could handle without breaking my phone so I stopped there... What a tunt.
Yeah, I happened to stumble on it and watched some. Mrs came into the room and nearly fainted when she saw me watching THAT channel...
I was like, 'yeah I'm as shocked as you to see something on Sky that I actually agree with', but it was still presented in their classic style. Totally one sided and not much in the way of actual facts or data.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Fracking in NT would increase gas emissions at no economic benefit, trial told

Plans to frack for natural gas in a tract of land in the Northern Territory would increase Australia’s greenhouse gas emissions by 13 per cent but fail to generate any economic benefit, a trial has heard.
The Morrison government plans to open up the Beetaloo Sub-basin – about 500 kilometres south-east of Darwin, between Katherine and Tennant Creek – to shale gas exploration. It has awarded $21 million in grants to Imperial Oil and Energy to explore through three drilling wells. The NT government has also approved plans for gas projects in the area.

The gas mining project in the Beetaloo Sub-basin in the Northern Territory.
As the leaders of world’s largest economies focused on climate talks in Glasgow, a trial began in Sydney’s Federal Court, where environmental groups challenged the Beetaloo project and the validity of decisions made by federal Resources and Water Minister Keith Pitt supporting exploratory drilling. The environment groups hope the court will rule to prevent the drilling projects.
The groups, headed by the Environment Centre NT, said fracking in the Beetaloo would emit greenhouse gases and undermine Australia’s obligations to comply with the Paris Agreement.

The federal government has said the Beetaloo project had the potential to create 6000 jobs and generate billions of dollars of economic activity.
But barrister Perry Herzfeld, SC, for the Environment Centre NT, told the court Mr Pitt’s decisions to award grants to Imperial did not comply with his obligations to give reasonable consideration to risks under the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act.

“There is no suggestion that in any of the material considered by the minister, inquiries were made into climate-change risks,” Mr Herzfeld told Justice John Griffiths, after lawyers for both sides tendered their evidence through affidavits.
Mr Herzfeld said under the legislation, Mr Pitt could award grants to the project once he had made reasonable inquiries that it was an “efficient, effective, economical and ethical” use of public money. He said the minister could have sought those answers from officials in his own department.
Advertisement

A report by Associate Professor Hugh Saddler, an expert in energy and environmental policy, found the combustion of gas from the Beetaloo shale reserve “would equate to a 13 per cent increase on Australia’s 2020 gas emissions”, Mr Herzfeld said.
Another report, by economist Nicki Hutley, also rebutted an analysis of the Beetaloo project by consultancy firm Deloitte.

Deloitte’s report didn’t consider the risks to the climate, Mr Herzfeld said, and so Ms Hutley’s report found the project would result in a net economic loss if it went ahead.
The federal government argues exploratory drilling would not in itself increase Australia’s global emissions, and that the initial drilling would not guarantee further development. It also argues Mr Pitt’s decisions were lawful, and that companies awarded grants have to meet eligibility requirements.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/fracking-in-nt-would-increase-