Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie

The new research examined the interactions between ice sheets in West Antarctica, Greenland, the warm Atlantic Gulf Stream and the Amazon rainforest. The scientists carried out 3m computer simulations and found domino effects in a third of them, even when temperature rises were below 2C, the upper limit of the Paris agreement.
Who likes to gamble around here? The risk is only a habitable planet.

I'm sure this article will be discussed in school today.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, went back several pages and couldn’t see anything. I know the making of a battery is not super green but with the talk of all the excess power from solar panels is community batteries the answer?

Be interesting to see the lifespan of the battery and what happens if demands exceeds supply, would it just then draw from the grid. Have found some other videos on them I will try to watch over the weekend.

Haakon

Keeps on digging

Who likes to gamble around here? The risk is only a habitable planet.

I'm sure this article will be discussed in school today.
Lol. Those dominoes have been coming down hard and fast for at least 20 years... There isn't any stopping them now, hasn't been for a long time.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Be interesting to see the lifespan of the battery and what happens if demands exceeds supply, would it just then draw from the grid. Have found some other videos on them I will try to watch over the weekend.
Generating 274kw per hour
Wrong news lady, it has 274kwh capacity, it does not generate, it discharges. When the 274kw's are used, it is done.

On a grey day with no sunshine and no wind. The town will run on grid and the battery will charge off the grid.

We are installing a 250MW one-hour duration grid-scale battery at my place, possibly double size at 500MW. SA power networks have just installed and currently commissioning 4 Synchronous Condensers for grid stability.

Things are happening, I just need 8-9 years out of it :)

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I don't think you understand what the article is saying?
No, i read it. I'm saying that tipping points that haven't yet been triggered are inevitable given all the other tipping points that have already been hardwired in will kick them over in time. The ball was set in motion a while ago and its beyond stopping it.

There is certainly still some scope for "minimising" the damage, or at least delaying some of it, but the worst of it is a done deal.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
The article says tipping points are dominos. You are saying the dominos have already fallen.

Not they haven't. A CC tipping point is when we lose control of the outcome. Where temp change rises stop being something we control with CO2 (or other) emissions.

So far, all temp outcomes are linked exactly to how many emissions we've placed into the atmosphere through FF & land use.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
No, i read it. I'm saying that tipping points that haven't yet been triggered are inevitable given all the other tipping points that have already been hardwired in will kick them over in time. The ball was set in motion a while ago and its beyond stopping it.

There is certainly still some scope for "minimising" the damage, or at least delaying some of it, but the worst of it is a done deal.
*Mitigating

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Mitigating implies to my mind the possibility of avoidance. That's not a thing anymore.
What if we keep feeding @frenchman dumplings and pump his H2S into the stratosphere?

If we attach a generator to his arm while he masturbates we will have this whole CC thing soooorted.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Won't happen, but we've not tipped anything yet.

It's still within control of humanity.
Yes, its been well and truly tipped. There is still a lot of head in sand action and "stay positive" pleas going on, but reality isnt playing ball there.

It was in our control something like 30-40 years ago perhaps, but its been a done deal for quite a while.