Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
We know all this, but Bruce puts it across in such blindingly stark simplicity, to show the idiocy of even attempting a gas led transition.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Rare climate change media discussion where sequestration requirements are discussed clearly & in some detail:

The solution to rapidly rising sea levels is twofold: humans must stop putting more heat-trapping gases into the atmosphere, and we must extract much of what we’ve already put up there. Since the Industrial Revolution 250 years ago, the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere has soared due to human activities, principally the burning of carbon-based fossil fuels. To minimize future sea level rise, we need to lower that amount from today’s 417 parts per million towards the 280 ppm that prevailed before industrialization.
How all of us aren't scared shitless is beyond me.

Worse, on current trends, we will be lucky for seas to rise “only” 8ft by 2100. The reason is that the computer models used by Noaa and others do not reflect what we know about how seas have risen in the past. These models assume that sea level rise unfolds gradually, but the geological record shows that in fact it can occur in rapid pulses. Warmer temperatures following the previous ice age caused disintegration of one polar ice sector after another, causing seas to rise in pulses of three to 30ft per century. Today, accelerating ice melt in Greenland and Antarctica are almost certainly the beginning of a new pulse of rapid sea level rise.
Global political stability will be in tatters...

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
How all of us aren't scared shitless is beyond me.
Because most of the voices are people that think it's all bullshit. They'd rather not face the reality.

Hopefully they die off soon and be replaced with industry leaders and politicians with the will do something about it all.

I actually worry about living here in Cairns, maybe I should look for a hill top residence in Tasmania...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Hopefully they die off soon and be replaced with industry leaders and politicians with the will do something about it all.
We haven't got soon, though. Need to act now.
We all probably need to get off the internet. Apparently CO2 emissions from cloud based computing data centers is right up there.
A renewable-driven electrical grid is one of the easy(er) things to resolve. Think about everything else.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie

Even the goal of holding future warming to 2C, which is a centerpiece of the Paris agreement and considered the outer limits of a Goldilocks climate for much of the planet, is nearly out of reach. As a recent paper in Nature pointed out: “On current trends, the probability of staying below 2C of warming is only five percent.”
Keep spanking the EV monkey people, if it makes you feel good.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We know all this, but Bruce puts it across in such blindingly stark simplicity, to show the idiocy of even attempting a gas led transition.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk
Although I haven't watched all of this and wholeheartedly agreed that a "gas led recovery" is a bad idea, I'm not sure of all the "facts" outlined in the video. They say Australia wouldn't use any of it's own gas if the new import terminals are built. Maybe this is an east coast centric thing but WA has a pipeline from the North West Shelf down to Perth (all the way to Bunbury actually) , I'm also pretty sure we have a domestic mandatory minimum supply too (in WA) so I don't think there is any imminent risk of that supply not continuing. As I say haven't watched it all so maybe I missed something...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
WA is indeed different, no mandatory domestic supply over here.

4 Corners did a story on this last week as well.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
As per my previous message, physics won’t give a shit if the Libs or Labour are in power.

Conventional politics won’t come close to solving this issue. No matter how “green” the party is or declares themselves to be.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Although I haven't watched all of this and wholeheartedly agreed that a "gas led recovery" is a bad idea, I'm not sure of all the "facts" outlined in the video. They say Australia wouldn't use any of it's own gas if the new import terminals are built. Maybe this is an east coast centric thing but WA has a pipeline from the North West Shelf down to Perth (all the way to Bunbury actually) , I'm also pretty sure we have a domestic mandatory minimum supply too (in WA) so I don't think there is any imminent risk of that supply not continuing. As I say haven't watched it all so maybe I missed something...
It's something to do with the pricing of the gas, manufacturing companies are finding it hard to compete due to the gas prices being considerably higher than what they are offshore.