Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Haakon

Keeps on digging
If you missed 4 Corners tonight, check it out. We're truly fucked.

Haha, yeah. Even before China stopped taking plastic this has always been a bit of a fig leaf. I always tended to view it as useful for getting people to think about their waste and to normalise it. But alas it never translated into anything much else...

Last edited:

Binaural

Eats Squid
Government is keen to boost investment here. There was a collaborative research council grant round a year ago that focused basically on incentivising research in that area; but overall this has been an export rather than processing problem.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
If you missed 4 Corners tonight, check it out. We're truly fucked.

I see so many different claims of how plastic can be recycled, I'm not sure if these methods are true and it is possible or if it is just more expensive than just stockpiling it and dealing with it later down the track, so the path of least resistance and more profits is taken.
I'm kind of thinking the latter.
Unfortunately if you leave it up to private enterprise to deal with it, the cheapest route is taken more often than not, and that usually is the least environmentally friendly.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I see so many different claims of how plastic can be recycled, I'm not sure if these methods are true and it is possible or if it is just more expensive than just stockpiling it and dealing with it later down the track, so the path of least resistance and more profits is taken.
I'm kind of thinking the latter.
Unfortunately if you leave it up to private enterprise to deal with it, the cheapest route is taken more often than not, and that usually is the least environmentally friendly.
I've seen a method first hand where they ground up the plastic into what looked a bit like snowflakes and then pressed it under high pressure into molds. The heat from the pressure was enough to fuse the flakes into a solid. They can use any plastic and can use mixed plastics in one batch. When I was involved in computer recycling it's where we sent all our plastic.
http://plasmar.com.au/

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Could be a great way to stimulate the economy... government buy back of all these unnecessary monsters and then people buying appropriate cars.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I just dont get suvs. Yes we have a 4wd in the family because we go where we need 4wd. If we didnt it wouldnt be here.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Fuck you, airlines:

Climate campaigners have been quick to decry the trend and dismiss Qantas’ promise that its flight will be carbon neutral. “We’ve got to get our heads around the fact that flying can’t be emissions free anytime soon,” said Mark Carter of campaign group Flight Free Australia. He said passengers on board the Qantas flight will be increasing their annual emissions by 10% in just seven hours “as they gawk at the Barrier Reef they are helping to destroy”.
We are in a climate emergency. What part of emergency don't you get?

Oh, the part where you don't give a fuck. That part.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
why the fcuk do we allow these american monster trucks on our roads, on my drive home from work yesterday I saw at least 3 or 4 Dodge Ram super duty behemoth shitboxes..now that Ford and Holden have stopped selling huge volumes of wanky V8's, is this the new norm for revheads?
Lets all save the planet and use less fossil fuels, but lets also make massive trucks to drive around the city in!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
The weird thing is, the manufacturing emissions of a Dodge RAM is less than that of a Tesla.

Which is why we also can’t afford to produce a goodle-tonne of EVs.

We need to reduce emissions on both ends...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
The weird thing is, the manufacturing emissions of a Dodge RAM is less than that of a Tesla.

Which is why we also can’t afford to produce a goodle-tonne of EVs.

We need to reduce emissions on both ends...
Life of vehicle emissions from a Tesla are a fraction of the ram though. It’s simplistic and misleading to look at manufacturing emissions only.