Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This looks to be a really good system. Mitigates a lot of the problems associated with wave/tidal energy, because the generator is not submerged.
I am all for these projects as long as there is a funded plan to get it out of the water if there are issues. The one at port kembla sat in the water for years after it failed.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I am all for these projects as long as there is a funded plan to get it out of the water if there are issues. The one at port kembla sat in the water for years after it failed.
Was that the one that had a pontoon failure while being towed out for commissioning?

Never understood that whole debacle.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was that the one that had a pontoon failure while being towed out for commissioning?

Never understood that whole debacle.
The first failure was where it detached form the pontoon in rough seas. I get that we need some failures to make progress and this should not stop future projects. I can’t recall the exact reasons why it was a write off. The bigger failure was how long it sat in the seas as a wreck. I guess there was no money to be made or money left removing it and this makes people skeptical about these projects.

Last edited:

Scotty T

Walks the walk

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yep, that one never went away.
Yerp.

It was one of the hidden environmental issues in the aircraft industry too. The amount of chemicals that were "exempt from testing due to material requirement" (ie: nothing else works in this application) was staggering.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
They spotted evidence of Roman lead smelting in Greenland ice cores a while back. This shit doesn't go away...

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Yerp.

It was one of the hidden environmental issues in the aircraft industry too. The amount of chemicals that were "exempt from testing due to material requirement" (ie: nothing else works in this application) was staggering.
Skydrol manufacturer "yeah, nah you can basically bathe in the stuff!"
IMG_20220716_140216.jpg

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)