Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Whoops. They blew up a nice coal power station… That might kill it - economics for coal power in Queensland was already marginal at best, wonder if it’s worth throwing a few million at fixing it…

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
I think you'll find that it's the original Wolseley 24-80 "Lightning" model from 1965, predecessor to the Prius.
The unit he is pointing to is the generator, and you can obviously see the large battery pack there right beside it

This young fellow knew that electric cars were fucking fucked long before China and Australia realised, and that coal is our only savior (soon to be modernised to gas!)

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Prepare for disorderly shift to low-carbon era, firms and investors told | Greenhouse gas emissions | The Guardian

There is “no longer any realistic chance” for an orderly transition for global financial markets because political leaders will be forced to rely on “handbrake” policy interventions to cut emissions, according to research from risk intelligence company Verisk Maplecroft.
Not sure how to prepare for disorder, but anyway. And what would he know - he's just into risk management.

Besides, we are on a low emissions pathway, should make excellent progress in the next decade huh?

Why is everyone so worried?

mark22

Likes Dirt
Whoops. They blew up a nice coal power station… That might kill it - economics for coal power in Queensland was already marginal at best, wonder if it’s worth throwing a few million at fixing it…
Considering it was exporting 800 megawatts to NSW as well a fair whack of Queenslands power at the time, I reckon it will be repaired.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Considering it was exporting 800 megawatts to NSW as well a fair whack of Queenslands power at the time, I reckon it will be repaired.
Depends on the damage. If it was a hydrogen leak and explosion that took out C4 (yes...) the generator may be irreparable and delivery is up to 2 years unless they can find a second hand 450MW generator lying somewhere which is possible. C station was slated for a nominal 10-15 more years but who knows? Until the investigation is concluded and CS can be sure C3 is ok or can have whatever defect that caused the bang sorted anything is just speculation. Having watched a team install hydrogen lines and the dramas that ensued it really could be anything from a leaking valve to joint failure to cooler failure etc. I suspect C3 will be out of service until the investigation is complete, doubt they want another hole in the turbine house roof.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Depends on the damage. If it was a hydrogen leak and explosion that took out C4 (yes...) the generator may be irreparable and delivery is up to 2 years unless they can find a second hand 450MW generator lying somewhere which is possible. C station was slated for a nominal 10-15 more years but who knows? Until the investigation is concluded and CS can be sure C3 is ok or can have whatever defect that caused the bang sorted anything is just speculation. Having watched a team install hydrogen lines and the dramas that ensued it really could be anything from a leaking valve to joint failure to cooler failure etc. I suspect C3 will be out of service until the investigation is complete, doubt they want another hole in the turbine house roof.
Twill be an interesting time ahead for the energy providers in Qld..the company I work for is just about to do major works to Tarong PS and shut down their cooling system to replace the fandeck and towers..still waiting to hear if it will go ahead on schedule!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Twill be an interesting time ahead for the energy providers in Qld..the company I work for is just about to do major works to Tarong PS and shut down their cooling system to replace the fandeck and towers..still waiting to hear if it will go ahead on schedule!
Ah, Tarong North, similar age to C4, just a couple of years younger. Ish.

mark22

Likes Dirt
South Australia has been a great example of how to stuff up power delivery.
Some PV solar customers are being limited by only being able to export 10kw and even 5kw per day due to the lack of investment in the grid to handle the import.
New PV customers in some areas are not being allowed to connect to the grid for export at all.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Some PV solar customers are being limited by only being able to export 10kw and even 5kw per day due to the lack of investment in the grid to handle the import.
New PV customers in some areas are not being allowed to connect to the grid for export at all.
Distribution is always problematic, ask any drug dealer.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Our PV provider checked with Essential Energy (NSW) before even quoting on our PV build to see whether the local network had the capacity to take the power that was likely to be generated and, therefore, whether the project was viable in the first place.

This is what all PV designers and installers should be doing...but rarely do.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie

It’s partly because we now know that limiting global heating to 2C commits us to a dangerous world. In theory, governments have accepted a more stringent target of 1.5C. But it’s also because, if we ignore the impact of the pandemic, our reduction of greenhouse gases has stalled.

We did the easy things first. Coal-burning power stations were replaced with gas, and some of the gas with renewables. This makes no difference to most people: when we flick the switch, the lights still come on. But almost all the other reductions must involve us directly. They won’t happen unless the government mobilises the nation: encouraging us to drive less and use our feet, bicycles and public transport more; taxing frequent flyers; refitting our homes; reducing the amount of meat we eat; reducing the emissions embedded in the stuff we buy. On these issues, the government’s commitment to action amounts to zero. Not net zero. Absolute zero.
And this article is about the UK - you’ve heard of it...it’s the G20 country that’s leading on CC policy.

Oh what’s that? You are asking why all the bullshit?

Because even now no-one is taking CC seriously, you little petal.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Oh and Shell recently had a class action upheld to reduce emissions (somehow) by 40% (not enough) by 2030 (way too long) and used this in their arguments:

You can’t make this shit up.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Oh and Shell recently had a class action upheld to reduce emissions (somehow) by 40% (not enough) by 2030 (way too long) and used this in their arguments:

You can’t make this shit up.
Umm they aren't wrong. It's a societal problem. Asking one company at a time to reduce emissions just produces a wack-a-mole situation.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I think you'll find that it's the original Wolseley 24-80 "Lightning" model from 1965, predecessor to the Prius.
Funnily enough I thought it might be a Wolseley Hornet / Riley Elf given the size and the radiator - except obviously the engine's around the wrong way.

Look at that beast. What a machine. They've even painted it red so people know that it's dangerous.