Pike Service Problem - Lowers won't come off

marc.r

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys,

So its a rainy afternoon and I have all the tools so i decided to have my first go at servicing the lowers on my Pike.

So far I have removed followed the sram instructions and youtube videos but its not working as it should.

1. removed the air.
2. removed the rebound bolt.
3. undid the both bottom bolts half way.
4. gave them a few solid taps with the rubber mallet.
5. fully removed both bolts. (oil fell from air spring side not the damper side)
6. tried to pull off the lowers but no - feel like its getting progressively more vacuum and then comes to a spot where it won't move any further.

7.... re installed the bottom bolts and tapped and tried removing again - no change.

Anyone offer a suggestion?

Z

Zaf

You need to tap out the damper side. Probably still pressed into the lower. After a "fuckwit" incident that happened to me a few years ago, i prefer using a longer steel bolt with the same thread, and full contact to do this tap out now. But it just sounds like the rod hasn't come loose from the lower yet, so you're pulling on the damper.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
You need to tap out the damper side. Probably still pressed into the lower. After a "fuckwit" incident that happened to me a few years ago, i prefer using a longer steel bolt with the same thread, and full contact to do this tap out now. But it just sounds like the rod hasn't come loose from the lower yet, so you're pulling on the damper.

Never seen this in numerous lower leg removals. Hope you haven't cursed me. :behindsofa:

Z

Zaf

Never seen this in numerous lower leg removals. Hope you haven't cursed me. :behindsofa:
It's probably not necessary, but I hit the bolt and it threaded itself into the damper rod as it released, in such a way that the bolt couldn't be taken out. NSD got all my money for fixing that one.
But yeah, full thread contact when you're hitting things became the order of the day after that. Didn't want a repeat.

Z

Zaf

Take a photo of the damper side bolt hole with the bolt removed. That usually makes it clear of the rod is still in its press fit cavity or not.

Z

Zaf

That looks like the damper rod, but it also looks freed from the lower. If it is free from the lower, you should be able to press that rod with something cylindrical and feel it compress into the lower (without the lower moving). Shouldn't take much force either. That should test to see if the damper rod is free. If you can't do this, it's probably still seated, so re-thread the bolt and tap it until it dumps it's oil.

If you can do that, she's likely hydra-locked and you just gotta be more manly with how hard you're pulling down on the lowers. Or wrap them in a towel and give the fork arch a solid tap with the mallet so that it frees from the upper.

The damper side not dumping oil is suspicious though.

morgs

morgs
The damper side not dumping oil is suspicious though.

Nah, there's only 5ml in the damper side lowers.

Have you tried taking the air spring side cap off to break the vacuum.

morgs

marc.r

Likes Dirt
so the rods are both free as I can push them.

both sides look like they have dropped oiljust not a lot out of the damper side.

taken off the air side cap and pulled but same result vacuum/comes to a stop. im pulling pretty hard, in the videos they just seem to slide off so i'm not sure forcing it is the solution?

btw thank you for all the help so far!

Z

Zaf

so the rods are both free as I can push them.

both sides look like they have dropped oiljust not a lot out of the damper side.

taken off the air side cap and pulled but same result vacuum/comes to a stop. im pulling pretty hard, in the videos they just seem to slide off so i'm not sure forcing it is the solution?

btw thank you for all the help so far!
If the lowers are free from the rods in the uppers you just need to apply force to pop them off at this point.

Probably just air or oil somewhere it shouldn't be, creating a bit of pressure you need to push past.

teK--

Eats Squid
If both the damper rod and air spring rod are actually free of the lower legs then there shouldn't be much from stopping the legs from coming off with a really firm pull...

marc.r

Likes Dirt
yes your right but they arnt coming off! I've inserted and malletted and pulled about 10 times now thinking I have missed something but no change.

I am ready to give up and send them in to a shop! not the relaxing sunday I was hoping for!!!

Z

Zaf

yes your right but they arnt coming off! I've inserted and malletted and pulled about 10 times now thinking I have missed something but no change.

I am ready to give up and send them in to a shop! not the relaxing sunday I was hoping for!!!
It should just be a process of giving the fork arch a solid smack with a mallet whilst holding leg so it doesn't drop onto the ground when it releases. It's driving down from a central position and there's nothing connecting the uppers and lowers, so they'll break free nicely. It's okay to man handle it a little at this point!

marc.r

Likes Dirt
Hold the phone...one more try and they came off. Still no idea what I did differently this time.

:Banane25:

Thank you again everyone. Now I can sleep well tonight!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Must have been some loctite in the grease.....

Congratulations on cracking your fork cherry. Do it often and keep it clean.