Photo A Day IV - 170409...

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Well, well, well. Photo A Day IV. Categories were hard this time. I'm not stoked on these shots, but I hope they suffice...

1. Riding.

Unfortunately I don't have too many amazing MTB shots to show from recent times, but I have been shooting quite a lot of BMX. This is Joe Dodd, Leaf Cycles BMX team rider, tailwhipping 5 stairs, like it's nothing. Now, before you all complain that I have a flash in the shot, I know...I put it there myself. My only dissapointment was not being able to shoot @ f/11 or so to get a cool sparkle, rather than a mass of white. Anyway...

2. Weather.

L'Alpe D'Huez, France, in July last year. You may recognise this backdrop from a previous photo I posted. This day, the day of the Mega-Avalanche race, Nicho, Dave (Daver), and I woke at 530am to pissing rain, howling winds, and more low-cloud cover than you could poke a lens at. I walked up the mountain and sat in the mist and rain for 2 hours, until the clouds parted and the sun reared its beautiful head. And the race started. Before the riders reached me I had time to turn around and capture one of (what I think is) the coolest landscape scenes i've ever been witness to. This is the result...

3. Reflection.

Yes, cliche. No, I don't have anything more interesting. Sorry! I was in Berlin, Germany, very hungover, taking this guided tour with my friend Katie. She was in an equally as hungover state, and we couldn't hold our concentration for longer than about 5 minutes at a time. Hence the photo. I can't exactly remember what the building in her sunglasses was (maybe Binaural can correct me), but I think it may have been a town-hall of some sort...

4. Time.

These are my fathers hands. Withered by 58 years of living. My father was, is, and always will be a sailor. At 25 years of age he built himself a yacht, and a few years later met my mum and they spent two years sailing around the world. This photo (funnily enough) just reminds me of my dad. The rings, the watch, the wrinkles. He'll never know how much I respect and admire him...

5. Candid.

Many candids, in-fact! In Prague, Czech Republic, there's this big clock in the centre of town which does something special on the hour, every hour. I can't quite remember what that is (Leitch, little help?), but it seemed to draw people's attention. Either way, it's pretty elaborate, like most things in Prague. This day I walked about 20km, around the city and up to the top of the hill overlooking the city, in thongs. It was about 30 degrees the whole day, until about 45 minutes after I took this photo and a huge storm rolled through clearing everyone out. Lucky I got there in time!

Thanks for reading my life story!

Tristan.

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Descriptions just as good as the photos! haha

Shame you couldn't get f/11.. But f/5 @ ISO 640? You could get closer :p

Thanks for posting nice and early, great stuff.

Ryan

Radministrator
That clock's special trick is to gather a huge group of people together and then disappoint them all simultaneously if I remember correctly ;)

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking brilliant as always Tristan.
I have a genuine query about your riding photo comments. What are the technical reasons for NOT being able to shoot at f11? Was it equipment limitations or situation/environment restrictions?

And if you could have shot at f11, what other settings would have been required to gain a clearer sparkle?

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Looking brilliant as always Tristan.
I have a genuine query about your riding photo comments. What are the technical reasons for NOT being able to shoot at f11? Was it equipment limitations or situation/environment restrictions?

And if you could have shot at f11, what other settings would have been required to gain a clearer sparkle?
Hey Simon,

Shooting @ f/11 would've darkened the scene considerably, and cut out a shitload of flash power. I think I was at 1/4 power there, but pushing the aperture to f/11 would've meant having to shoot at at least 1/2 or full power with both flashes. Which, in reality I could've done, but there's a little thing called flash duration, which I hate mucking up for riding shots. Also, I think I was at 1/80th of a second. If i'd wanted to shoot @ f/11 I would've had to compensate by slowing the shutter down a shitload...probably 1/30th, with the ISO around 1000, which again, isn't all that great. What i'm getting at is the fact it could've been done, but both Joe and I were tired and I didn't care all that much at the time. Haha.

Hope that helps mate.

patto_15

Wheel size expert
Awesome as shots Tristan!! You have done an amazing job with those images!!

So jealous of your skills <3

Only thing that gets me is the 'black hole' in Joe's shot..

entombed

membarrrr
The bar has been set guys. Lets keep it that way.

With the amount of explaining on how you didn't get that shot, you could have gone back and shot it. :eek:.

Infact go back and reshoot that shit.

Sweet set of shots for a nikonian.