Person who raises negative issues? Term for it?

scblack

Leucocholic
I am damned if I can think of the term for a person who raises negative issues in a situation.

Like if a person wants to sell house and move to the country, what do you call the person who (helpfully) raises things that could go wrong?
Or if you want to change jobs and they raise problems that might happen.
Or raises counter-points if someone is totally positive on a proposal.

I've checked fiends and googled it but came up empty.

Help please.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Nay sayer, realist, pessimist, devil's advocate, arsehole, pharmaboy....the list goes on

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
The Devil's advocate is normally related to legal people.
On the contrary ;), it's a religious term, given to an individual tasked with challenging the beatification of a saint, or the validity of a miracle.

In popular context, it's applied to someone who raises contrary point to an opinion to provide a balanced argument.

Yes, it was the title of a movie about a law firm, but that's as close to legal as it gets.
Edit: beat me to it SC, I'll need to be less long winded next time.

beejay

Likes Dirt
I am damned if I can think of the term for a person who raises negative issues in a situation.

Like if a person wants to sell house and move to the country, what do you call the person who (helpfully) raises things that could go wrong?
Or if you want to change jobs and they raise problems that might happen.
Or raises counter-points if someone is totally positive on a proposal.

I've checked fiends and googled it but came up empty.

Help please.
Pragmatist someone who is practical ( negative or positive ) in relation to a goal or subject

Flow-Rider

Burner
On the contrary ;), it's a religious term, given to an individual tasked with challenging the beatification of a saint, or the validity of a miracle.

In popular context, it's applied to someone who raises contrary point to an opinion to provide a balanced argument.

Yes, it was the title of a movie about a law firm, but that's as close to legal as it gets.
Edit: beat me to it SC, I'll need to be less long winded next time.

I once asked a lady what she done for a living on a road bike ride and that was her response, I acted all cool like I knew what it meant. When I went home I googled her name and she was some type of criminal lawyer. :fear:

scblack

Leucocholic
Pragmatist someone who is practical ( negative or positive ) in relation to a goal or subject
True that, but I was looking for someone on specifically the negative side, but being helpful about it, not a shit stirrer.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I once asked a lady what she done for a living on a road bike ride and that was her response, I acted all cool like I knew what it meant. When I went home I googled her name and she was some type of criminal lawyer. :fear:
And a roadie.......all sorts of wrong going on there.

Cannon lawer, rather than criminal? Although, can't see one being outside of the Vatican, let alone a female.