percentage of riders who use Strava

4wdphil

Likes Bikes
Does anyone have any idea of what percentage of trail riders would use Strava? I realise it won't be a particularly reliable figure but we're trying to get an idea of total numbers of riders on the tracks here in Yackandandah based on Strava figures. Eventually we'll get a counter and be able to compare actual numbers with Strava which should give us a more accurate figure. Our guess is around 40%?

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
prob be about right, very much dependent on group though, eg many single speeder's don't upload, my riding group who tend to race a bit about 80% use it, at Castlemaine when I race dirt crits I reckon usage it's low - about 30%, when I occasionally goto ballarat & ride with moorey's posse they are also around 30% usage I reckon

on another note DELWP have had a trail counter on the wombat for 4-5 yrs, we just found out earlier this year, they had 2 but 1 got removed..we also tried to et numbers at Gisborne by setting up a still trail cam -pain the sort thru images though & delete wildlife & windy branches

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon 80%of roadies use it. Not sure about Mtbers. Judging by some of the segments at Menai, there are quite a lot. Some segments have over 600 riders logged.

I use it infrequently on the trails but used it all the time when I was doing road TT's. It becomes a bit farcical when some of the more popular segments have fastest times recorded by riders being motor paced.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I was an avid user - and then stopped, deleting my profile.

Too many times Strava ruled how I rode...I'd attack climbs, not enjoy them, smash singletrack, not just sit back & flow.

I'm much happier without it.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse

Too many times Strava ruled how I rode...I'd attack climbs, not enjoy them, smash singletrack, not just sit back & flow.

I'm much happier without it.
I use it but really only to track distance ridden and rides. Sometimes I try and break my own PB's but that's just when I feel like testing myself, which seems to be less often the more I ride.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I seriously doubt that many have even heard of it. I see dozens of riders on my local trails and more than half the tracks aren't even on Strava. If you look at how many bikes are sold and the numbers on Strava the % would be tiny.

moorey

call me Mia
Avids AND Strava! :ban:

In my mtb group, I reckon about 40% use it. Of those, 70% deny they use it, and 20% say they just use it to track distance....while immediately checking their time after each segment.

John U

MTB Precision
Never used it.

I use Garmins regularly.

I don't see the point of the fastest time on segment when the riders have ridden different distances in different times to get to the segment and will ride different distances in different times after a segment. Then again, I don't see the point of using elapsed time to record a ride effort.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've seen friends have strava-gasms...i don't need to use strava to enjoy a ride. One friend has found some good trails with it. I ride some spots you'll get in a lot of trouble using strava. I've got a friend or two that don't even know what it is.

brados20

Likes Dirt
Up here on the Gold Coast I believe there would be a pretty high percentage of mtb riders that use strava. I use it to track my rides and also a bit of motivation on solo rides. Some of the trails up towards Brisbane can have 3000 riders logged on a single track leaderboard.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Up here on the Gold Coast I believe there would be a pretty high percentage of mtb riders that use strava. I use it to track my rides and also a bit of motivation on solo rides. Some of the trails up towards Brisbane can have 3000 riders logged on a single track leaderboard.
yeah more like 5-6000. Not sure what a high # even looks like, guessing double or triple that in some areas.

I use it most rides (solo) but hifiandmtb's comment resonated a bit. Sometimes, hmm, many times it influences my approach to riding - save a bit here, go nuts there to have a crack etc. It can be satisfying occasionally. You know what they say, the clock never lies.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Some people just have a competitive nature about themselves whether it is with Strava or not. One of the groups I ride with, I am the only one with Strava but they all want to be the first one to the end of the trail. It pisses me to tears as we get new people joining the group that can't keep up and only do a few rides with us and never to be seen again.

I done a quick count of the people I ride with and just over 50% use Strava.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Just so you young ones know, I'm a fat old sh*t head living in tokyo.... expat and all

Only a few weeks ago, late at night... a passing cyclist screamed out " Sparta" at the overtaking point the fat arsed old pig screamed "tonight we dine in hell"

took the old f*ck a few days to realise the fellow cyclist was screaming Strava

S

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I like seeing squiggly lines on a map where I've been.
So use it for both road and off-road.
I dont mind seeing how I'm going compared to other average cyclists either. Keeps me motivated to ride harder.

John U

MTB Precision
Just so you young ones know, I'm a fat old sh*t head living in tokyo.... expat and all

Only a few weeks ago, late at night... a passing cyclist screamed out " Sparta" at the overtaking point the fat arsed old pig screamed "tonight we dine in hell"

S
Welcome back you fat old shit head!

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
At Lysty lots of the Strava Straight Liners were straight lining corners out of the trail ... cheating for KOM's. Most of the corners have since been reinstated with logs put on the straight lines.

We use Strava Segment Explorer to find trails when we are exploring new places.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah

S
Some twat tries doing that to me, I'll make a point of getting in their way.