Pawn shops that deal in bikes: Sydney area

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
In my mission to get my bike back, and I WILL get that bike back :mad:, I'm doing research on all the pawn shops in the Sydney area that deal with bikes, since many pawn shops don't. I'm hoping we can make a repository of pawn shops that are known dealers in bikes here. This one is for the Sydney area... feel free to make a thread for your particular location... I'll sticky it for you.

If you could, could you put the area first, followed by the name of pawn shop, the address, and hopefully any other details about the bikes you saw there (or any other relevant details). Any entries added here I'll put in this first post to make it easy to check.

So the next time you walk past a pawn shop, take a quick peek inside to see if they're selling any bikes. If they are, post it up here, even if it's the name and/or location. This will probably be a HUGE help to anyone who's lost a bike. Thanks!

I'll get it started.

Area: GLEBE
Name: Broadway Loan
Address: University Hall Glebe NSW 2037
Phone: (02) 9571 8118
Notes: Saw two bikes there. Low-end... each probably not worth more than $300.

Area: Kings Cross, Bondi, Neutral Bay, Randwick
Name: Happy Hockers
My bike was bought there after it was stolen from Sydney University.

Area: Parramatta
Name: Cash Converters
Address: Near the corner of Macquarie and Church St.

Last edited:

ExpressPost

Cannon Fodder
Pawn Shops in Greater Brisbane Area

I have started calling up all Pawn Shops in the greater Brisbane area to get their fax numbers. I first did a search on yellowpages to get the numbers of all pawn shops and addresses. Because yellow pages don't quote fax numbers I have to call everyone of them (about 60-70!). Anyway, I made up a one page pdf with a photo of my Kona Bear stolen from South Bank 3 weeks ago and was going to fax it to every pawn shop via www.mbox.com.au I was just going to notify every pawn shop of my stolen bike so if they bought it off someone I could perhaps buy it back. (mbox is a website where you create an account and pre-pay to send a pdf from email to any fax in Australia for 18cents. Saves going to Officeworks and paying $1.20 per fax). Anyway, I don't have time to call every damned pawn shop during business hours and get their fax, so it may take some time. If I get the list I will post it. AND LOCK YOUR BIKES UP WITH MULTIPLE LOCKS! EVEN AT HOME!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Area: Kings Cross

Have seen some decent bikes in there such as a Specialized P3.

Last edited:

cobba

Likes Dirt
Quite a few Pawn Brokers/Loan Offices from in and around Sydney regularly auction their goods (including bikes) at this place: http://www.combinedauctions.com/forthcoming.php
They usually have one or two Pawn Brokers/Loan Offices auctions every week. I've personally seen some very nice bikes auctioned there.
In the past they have also had a few auctions for the Police's Unclaimed Goods/Stolen Property.

A Kona Roast plus a couple of cheapish Giants and a GT were auctioned yesterday.

Last edited:

Peque

Cannon Fodder
Just wondering if anyone knew what happens if you happen to find your bike at one of the pawn shops. What right do we have to get it back, surely you shouldn't have to buy back your bike!!And wouldn't these shops be liable for purchasing stolen goods?

axertes

Likes Dirt
You call the police and they'll sort it for you, provided you can prove it's yours. Don't expect the pawn shop people to be cooperative.

Happened to me with a guitar. They hocked it at one of like 4 pawn shops in Toowoomba. Idiot.

I engrave stuff with a police ID, but noone wants to engrave their bike. Make sure you have insurance photos, including a photo of the serial number on the frame, and specific detailed photos of aftermarket parts. That should cover it.

MARKL

Eats Squid
More Pawn Shops that deal in bikes

Basically every "Cash Converters" I have ever been in has bikes so here is a list of all of them in Sydney. (I shall be doing a tour over the weekend looking for my baby) I was also talking to a guy that used to run a bike shop at Liverpool and he told me they often had people turning up with bikes that had been stolen from other areas.

CASH COVERTERS
Blacktown
Shop 2, 107 Main Street, Blacktown, NSW 2148
Phone No. (02) 9621-5022
Facsimile No: (02) 9621-5133 (There is also another hock shop across the road that sometimes has bikes)

Bondi Junction
71 Ebley Street, Bondi Junction, NSW 2022
Phone No. (02) 9387-3911
Facsimile No: (02) 9387-3054

Burwood
138 Burwood Road, Burwood , NSW 2134
Phone No. (02) 9747-1166
Facsimile No: (02) 9747-0637

Fairfield
Fairfield Chase Shopping Centre, 25 Smart Street, Fairfield, NSW 2165
Phone No. (02) 9728-3299
Facsimile No: (02) 9754-1510

Liverpool
2/387 Macquarie Street, Liverpool, NSW 2170
Phone No. (02) 9600-8922
Facsimile No: (02) 9600-8064

Mt. Druitt
Shop42, Shop Smart, Zoe Place, Mt. Druitt, NSW 2770
Phone No. (02) 9832-0400
Facsimile No: (02) 9832-0972

Parramatta
300 Church Street, Parramatta, NSW 2150
Phone No. (02) 9687-0800
Facsimile No: (02) 9635-7051

Penrith
513-519 High Street, Penrith, NSW 2750
Phone No. (02) 4721-7111
Facsimile No: (02) 4721-1740

Rockdale
Shop 1, 469 Princes Highway, Rockdale , NSW 2216
Phone No. (02) 9599-5555
Facsimile No: (02) 9599-4205

There is also a shop on Liverpool Rd, Ashfield that always has a couple of bikes in it.

Hope this helps someone

NamNguyen

Squid
Obviously guys positng in this thread have experienced a stolen bike. Myself inclduded :(.

There's a pawn shop in Redfern corner of Elizabeth and Redfern Street. That's my contribution to this thread. I need another 4 to get trading access to replace my stolen bike.

I live in Waterloo and my beloved got flogged from the back of my place. Mother F***ers. That's my sorry arse story.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Not sure if its a Happy Hockers ... but there is a pawn shop on Parramatta road Leichardt / Petersham (pretty sure its the Leichardt side of Parra road).

They definately sell bikes. sorry for the vague details ... I'll confirm business details when go past there next.

on a side note
Cops found my rig at Happy Hockers in Kings X ... they (shop) paid $50 and I was going to get a $12K cheque from the insurers ... Oh well, still glad I've got the brick with wheels.

cobba

Likes Dirt
Not sure if its a Happy Hockers ... but there is a pawn shop on Parramatta road Leichardt / Petersham (pretty sure its the Leichardt side of Parra road).
They definately sell bikes. sorry for the vague details ... I'll confirm business details when go past there next.
It's not a Happy Hockers but you could've very easily found the name and address of it if you clicked on the link in the previous post:

Link: Sydney Pawnbrokers

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Your bike got stolen and you didn't tell me?

Wah wah

You mean the cops actually went looking for your bike? Fuck, that must have been a slow crime day!:p
it gets worse ... the only reason they even looked was because the perp walked past them with a bag of stuff and they knew his record (apparently he is a very thick dipshit) ... so looked for a bunch of alias listed at pawn shops and found my bike ... compared it to a bunch of police reports in the last month in the area he was currently living in (Balmain) ... and Bob's your uncle ... crime fighting in the new millennium ... was very very random

It's not a Happy Hockers but you could've very easily found the name and address of it if you clicked on the link in the previous post:

Link: Sydney Pawnbrokers
Cheers for that ... could have just as easily posted up the name ... rather then be a wannabe interweb lecturer ... but thanks anywhoo

Deniss

Likes Dirt
Area: Kings Cross

Have seen some decent bikes in there such as a Specialized P3.
I have seen a Orange Five in there i put up a post about it. but the one you need to watch is the one on good street granvile so shoty the junkys love it.

VK2GOM

Likes Bikes
I have done the hock shop trawl around Penrith after my Garmin GPS was stolen by some scumbag, but sadly to no avail.

If anyone around the Sydney metro wants me to check the likely Penrith stores out any time for a missing bike, please PM or email me, since I'm local to them.

Just a tip - if you don't like stamping the frame, engrave your name / phone num on the bottom end of the seat tube. A thief will rarely remove the seat/tube and find that, moreso if it's a bolt on and not QR.

Cheers - Rob.

song

Likes Dirt
LoL i drove past the pawn shop in Dee Why the other day and it is absolutely full of Giant GLorys, Giant Anthems.... you name it! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
I engrave stuff with a police ID, but noone wants to engrave their bike. Make sure you have insurance photos, including a photo of the serial number on the frame, and specific detailed photos of aftermarket parts. That should cover it.
I think there's a cheap DNA spray you can put on and apply a sticker somewhere to scare of pawnshops...

I just DataDotted my FR frame :D