Parks 2025: Southern Flinders Ranges- Melrose SA $10M

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Maybe you could pacify the locals by enrolling your Senders at the local school and boarding them in Melrose? If nothing else... it'd be quieter at home and you might get your bike back!
Ship the missus and the 2 boys up there before lockdown occurs in SA... it would be bliss around here :)

Or move up there myself, the official story being the missus and I are having a ding dong and she told me to get out, so I grabbed 3 bikes and beer and off to Melrose.

ozzybmx

"Trail Closed" signs doing their usual job eh @ozzybmx ?
Personal permission given by GP :p

Steals my picture of Strava and doesn't even leave kudos :rolleyes:

Both company owner and the couple of blokes he has building in there were given feedback sitting outside the pub in the sun after the ride.

There are actually quite a few trail closed and trail under construction sign on the lower trails, cant think of any on the ones higher up though.

Bloody good ! They are doing a great job in there.

Now get that trail back to town out for tender, 7km by rail trail is tedious. We actually drove out there this time.

When I showed the guys the pictures, I was informed that #2 son had actually christened this creek gap, they hadn't even done it yet.

ozzybmx

@Ackland some of the lower trails that were built first are actually grown over :oops:

Its hard to see where they are because of the rain they had and the newly sprouted grass growing up through the fresh dirt. The couple of trails I am talking about have trail closed signs on either end and are not far from the bottom carpark.

Its a serious operation going on at the carpark too, shelter, toliets and BBQ area... great facilities.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Personal permission given by GP
Steals my picture of Strava and doesn't even leave kudos :rolleyes:
Both company owner and the couple of blokes he has building in there were given feedback sitting outside the pub in the sun after the ride.
There are actually quite a few trail closed and trail under construction sign on the lower trails, cant think of any on the ones higher up though.
Bloody good ! They are doing a great job in there.
Now get that trail back to town out for tender, 7km by rail trail is tedious. We actually drove out there this time.
When I showed the guys the pictures, I was informed that #2 son had actually christened this creek gap, they hadn't even done it yet.
I thought I gave Kudos... Geez are you that starved of love?
Yeah they have done a lot with the terrain and (Lack of) elevation on offer. The brief was to try and keep the hand built feel that makes Melrose great.
The link trail(s) probably won't get done for a while (and not in this phase of funding) but I want to work with Bike Melrose to get some grant funding for their construction in the not too distant future.

@Ackland some of the lower trails that were built first are actually grown over :oops:

Its hard to see where they are because of the rain they had and the newly sprouted grass growing up through the fresh dirt. The couple of trails I am talking about have trail closed signs on either end and are not far from the bottom carpark.

Its a serious operation going on at the carpark too, shelter, toliets and BBQ area... great facilities.
Is that happening on the first trail finished that was used for the AMBC race?
We've got some planned maintenance coming up to sort out the pasture grass and salvation jane in the old homestead areas.

No BBQ at Willowie, we spent the $15K on more trail instead!
In all seriousness, if there was a toilet, BBQ and nice pull in bay (the new car park), the regional staff were pretty sure we'd end up with grey nomads trying to live there!

ozzybmx

I thought I gave Kudos... Geez are you that starved of love?
Yes :p

Feeling it now though.

Yeah they have done a lot with the terrain and (Lack of) elevation on offer. The brief was to try and keep the hand built feel that makes Melrose great.
The link trail(s) probably won't get done for a while (and not in this phase of funding) but I want to work with Bike Melrose to get some grant funding for their construction in the not too distant future.

Is that happening on the first trail finished that was used for the AMBC race?
We've got some planned maintenance coming up to sort out the pasture grass and salvation jane in the old homestead areas.

No BBQ at Willowie, we spent the $15K on more trail instead!
In all seriousness, if there was a toilet, BBQ and nice pull in bay (the new car park), the regional staff were pretty sure we'd end up with grey nomads trying to live there!
Good point on the nomads.

Apparently with the gullys and rock crevices up in the NP between Willowie and Melrose, the trail would be 14-17km long, add in a loop of Willowie and it could be a 50km+ ride.

My two said it was the climbing trail used in the AMBC race that is starting to be reclaimed by nature, a few bikes over it and it will be good.

There are 3 buildings being constructed at the carpark ? Toilet, shelter and what ?

Good stuff happening, I'm excited.

ozzybmx

@ozzybmx and his berm slapping offspring have sniffed all of these out already

Yes we have tested them on a couple of occasions and #2 son got a trail building job with Trailscapes during the last school holidays. Reckons it hard yakka :p

The artwork looks awesome and the trail names are a lot better than some that I've heard were being throwing around, I knew they were out for some consultation to those interested parties.

Nice! May have to try and get back up to Melrose when the time comes. @ozzybmx perhaps your Derby cancellation might be a sign!!
Spent last year Dec/Jan working on the house, lower Flinders at that time of year is either hot or fckn hot.

Next year when the vid calms down and borders open properly, we'll do a Rotorburn trip... though more beers than riding.