Paint protection on new cars... Worth it or not?

willsy01

Eats Squid
Polish is abrasive - thats the whole point of it; you shouldn't polish your paint too much as you are slowly wearing down the clear coats.
Wax is the protective layer you put on top that makes the water bead up and makes it look shiny.
Of course......he has a paint depth guage so no issues there.

oxmo

Squid
I have just got a reasonably good deal on a new Nissan Xtrail in black and pick it up in about a week. The dealership are now telling me that it is highly recommended I purchase a car protection kit (paint/vinyl/material) for a bargain price of $2300!! My first reaction "I can buy over 10x $200 full car protection kits that do exactly what you are offering. Whats the difference between this kit and what you are offering besides the labour involved?!"... I kinda didn't get much of an answer, basically just got told I would get a 12mth warrenty if they did it.

What is your opinions on a car protection kit? I felt that $2300 was a bit steep and a huge rip of. I'd prefer to do it myself for $200.

Also I have never owned a black car before. Any tips to keep them looking good? I've been told to use touch free washes only so you don't get swirl marks.

Cheers!
I was googling this question and came across this thread. It's a bit dated but I am sure there are probably others searching for answers on the same topic.
As most have already suggested, it is a scam. I found an informative post on the topic here; http://ryanthenegotiator.com.au/is-paint-protection-worth-it/
On a plus note, the aftermarket lady can be hot and is often dressed to impress :)

Last edited:

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
There is only one reason the Stealership offers the 'Protection Packs' (and usually offered by a blonde hottie with a sensational pr)

=PROFIT!

You can have a better result with a can of Scotch Guard, Tint Film and most importantly a good paint correction and maintenance product pack. All this should cost you no more than a couple hundred and last years.

as willsy stated - Good wash mitts, shampoo, grit guards, snow foam lance and wax will do so much better
As someone that's worked in the industry and knew a lot of After Sales girls.....Boxer is 100% right.