Oval chain rings

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
You could go for a 32t but unless you need the extra top speed do your knees a favour and go the 30t. Both brands are fine, although Wolftooth maybe slightly better quality. I would just go with whatevers cheapest.
Cheers - the idea is to save my knees, and I'm not fussed on top speed so looks like a 30t is the go.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
WolfTooth (did? presumably still do...) run a different timing to other oval rings.

I tried one and didn't like it, but never tried any "normal" oval rings either.

Rorschach

WolfTooth (did? presumably still do...) run a different timing to other oval rings.

I tried one and didn't like it, but never tried any "normal" oval rings either.
Yeah, I did see that although handily not on their webpage for the direct mount rings. Did have a read and figured I'd give it a bash anyway

treble

Likes Dirt
Thread necro
I'm terrible at climbing as my knees are shot and give out on me pretty easily, so want to try an oval ring for comparison to the round one.
I currently have a 30t direct mount Shimano 12s chainring, would another 30t be the way to go? Consensus reading this is that people 'feel' like they drop 2 teeth on an equivalent oval ring?
I've recently changed 2 MTBs over to 30T absolute black oval rings. Cant speak to the change in gearing as changing the cassette ratios was what necessitated the front ring changes in the first place. But I've definitely noticed the post ride knee aching is gone on the oval rings, especially because my road bike is still on a round ring and still makes my knees ache
DO IT

Rorschach

I've recently changed 2 MTBs over to 30T absolute black oval rings. Cant speak to the change in gearing as changing the cassette ratios was what necessitated the front ring changes in the first place. But I've definitely noticed the post ride knee aching is gone on the oval rings, especially because my road bike is still on a round ring and still makes my knees ache
DO IT
Good to hear, thanks!

Have ordered a Wolf Tooth one

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I have the AB on the dually, and the Wolftooth on the hardtail.

The Wolftooth seems to have less ovality, so it's probably a good initiation to oval rings. If I was forced to pick I would go for the AB, but both are good.

Rorschach

OK, so I accidentally bought a 30t round chainring as I didn't read the site properly
I'll just send it back
In the meantime, I ordered an AbsoluteBlack 30t from Poland. Wonder which one'll get to WA first - AusPost from Melbourne or DHL from Poland...

Rorschach

Well, need to give this to DHL, but it was a close run race.
Both arrived within 10 minutes of each other (with Auspost deliveries disappearing into the ether for a week), but the AbsoluteBlack being ordered a day later.

shanno89

Likes Dirt
OK, so I accidentally bought a 30t round chainring as I didn't read the site properly
I'll just send it back
In the meantime, I ordered an AbsoluteBlack 30t from Poland. Wonder which one'll get to WA first - AusPost from Melbourne or DHL from Poland...
Hey @Rorschach, which supplier from Poland did you buy the chainring from? I'm in the market for a 30t shimano direct mount as well. Thanks mate