Oval chain rings

nexusfish

El Mariachi
When these were making a comeback, i did some looking into it and found a study done based on oval vs round in high end BMX racing where they ran multiple sprints to measure the rate of performance decline. I forget the stats, but the gist was that in elite athletes there was a improvement in speed, but it came at the cost of an elevated heart rate and fatigue as the athlete was effectively running a harder gear. They found that performance actually decreased in people who had lower levels of condition (fast punter levels) than if they ran a circular ring.

But they look all futurisitc n' shit, so they make people think you are faster because science probably said so. So get one and gloat.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
How do you guys go when pedalling out of the saddle?

I had my first ever oval experience today. I've used clips for decades, so seated I couldn't really feel much difference, but standing the timing felt totally off.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
How do you guys go when pedalling out of the saddle?

I had my first ever oval experience today. I've used clips for decades, so seated I couldn't really feel much difference, but standing the timing felt totally off.
Sounds like you needed to be in a higher gear.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

PJO

in me vL comy
When these were making a comeback, i did some looking into it and found a study done based on oval vs round in high end BMX racing where they ran multiple sprints to measure the rate of performance decline. I forget the stats, but the gist was that in elite athletes there was a improvement in speed, but it came at the cost of an elevated heart rate and fatigue as the athlete was effectively running a harder gear. They found that performance actually decreased in people who had lower levels of condition (fast punter levels) than if they ran a circular ring.

But they look all futurisitc n' shit, so they make people think you are faster because science probably said so. So get one and gloat.
I don't think the science is settled yet, here are the first few articles I found, it's hard to find consensus:

moorey

call me Mia
Purely a personal experience, but I can, and do, trick my brain all the time. I swapped chain rings from 32 to 30 the other day, then marvelled at how much easier I found the usual loop.......only to realise I had fitted another 32 accidentally and imagined the whole thing.

I swear I felt a general improvement in climbing when I fitted the oval, after hearing all the discussions. Then went back to round, and didn't feel a change. Yes, I still think it feels like a slightly smaller ring in oval, but the cons outweighed the pro's for me. Yes, guides do work with oval. but I'm not a fan of the style.

Minlak

custom titis
Biopace were turned differently so the stroke wasn’t optimised as it is now -

I rode 32 round on the weekend instead of my 32 Oval - honestly hard pressed to notice difference - my decision is solely based on availability and price of the replacement ring when needed

Cardy George

Sounds like you needed to be in a higher gear.
Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
That's the next challenge. 30t leaves me in 9 of 10, and the jump is too big. 34t will put me back in range. But then I'll need to go back to 2x

Cardy George

11sp? Can you XD your hub and go 10-42 sram or 9-42 e13/hope? That higher gear has been the biggest thing I've found I can't live without. Dropped 2 teeth on front without losing speed.
10sp at the moment, and it's an e13 hub, so probably could go XD. But if I go Shimano 11sp the two bikes can share components

moorey

call me Mia
10sp at the moment, and it's an e13 hub, so probably could go XD. But if I go Shimano 11sp the two bikes can share components
I don't know of any 10sp XD...but could be wrong. Its only the casssette that changes. Almost all my bikes run 10-42 SRAM cassettes, and I only run Shimano drivetrains otherwise.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Thread necro
I'm terrible at climbing as my knees are shot and give out on me pretty easily, so want to try an oval ring for comparison to the round one.
I currently have a 30t direct mount Shimano 12s chainring, would another 30t be the way to go? Consensus reading this is that people 'feel' like they drop 2 teeth on an equivalent oval ring?

Looking at one of these:
Wolf Tooth Direct Mount Drop-Stop Chainring (mtbdirect.com.au)
absoluteBLACK Direct Mount Narrow Wide Chainring (mtbdirect.com.au)

TIA!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Thread necro
I'm terrible at climbing as my knees are shot and give out on me pretty easily, so want to try an oval ring for comparison to the round one.
I currently have a 30t direct mount Shimano 12s chainring, would another 30t be the way to go? Consensus reading this is that people 'feel' like they drop 2 teeth on an equivalent oval ring?

Looking at one of these:
Wolf Tooth Direct Mount Drop-Stop Chainring (mtbdirect.com.au)
absoluteBLACK Direct Mount Narrow Wide Chainring (mtbdirect.com.au)

TIA!
You could go for a 32t but unless you need the extra top speed do your knees a favour and go the 30t. Both brands are fine, although Wolftooth maybe slightly better quality. I would just go with whatevers cheapest.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk