Otway Odyssey

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Might make it a bit more appealing to families to have the start down there.

The event needs a proper refresh in my opinion, it's very stale - Should note I haven't been for 2-3 years

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the 100k needs a refresh, make it a true epic 160k like dirty kanza, or leadville- then the finish would roll back into Apollo Bay.

starting at AB is a pain, but adds some epicness that you can't get starting at forrest. its funny how organisers think people always want to ride the same loops, same format - the hampster effect. yet that takes away the adventure aspect.

forrest single track is brilliant, so are the climbs up to mt sabine, noonday etc. from ab such tough riding.

I couldn't do it this year due to family commitments, and a bit pissed that they have ebikes racing wtf, but that's another story.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My last time racing was the first time E-bikes had a category (50km). There were two entrants on fairly home made setups doing a lot more than 25km/h up the first climb. Very disheartening when the front group is going very quick already.

I’m big on races being varied and trying to bring something different to keep things interesting, Otway Odyssey hasn’t/doesn’t. Lots of people ride it religiously every year and I guess it’s a good marker for form because it doesn’t change, but at the front end finding 5mins or 10mins depending on training isn’t enough to keep me coming back.

It does not have great atmosphere, does not have a great course and certainly doesn’t bring anything unique since it stopped starting at Apollo Bay. It’s also seriously expensive

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
We used to rent the apartment literally right above the start line in Apollo Bay, it cost us about $1600 for 3 nights, from memory it slept 6, we usually got 10-12 people + bikes in there. My mate rented it each year for about ~4 years, up until 2013 or 2014 when they stopped the AB start.

Its a big pain getting to Forrest for the race start but so much nicer drinking and eating in AB and more for the family to do while you ride.

Couple of elite racers looking for their beers... Foreshore reserve/carpark in the background.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
AB makes it a bit harder for guys like me. I was the only one doing the 100k out of 15 from up here, and it probably will be the same again next year, so it makes sense to stay in Forrest. I caught a ride down with another couple of guys, so I'll have to figure out how to get myself down to the start, Mrs George would be keen for the trip away, but I doubt she'll want to drive between AB and Forrest.

I'm keen to have another crack at those trails with functioning brakes.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Top notch vid there mtb101!
I was two spots in front of you!
Game on next year!
I think I passed you on the climb before red carpet, but things were a bit hazy at that stage in the race.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sorry guys that aren't me, just saw it on youtube and thought I'd post for some interest. :):)