Optimus Prime

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
This is the ultimate min-max build. You should post this to the guys at NSMB, they (and I) would love it.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
This is the ultimate min-max build. You should post this to the guys at NSMB, they (and I) would love it.

Honestly would have liked to go a bit more high-end on it but can't justify it at this stage. Half of the build I bought to put on my hardtail and really only bought the groupset for this build
I'm also not half the rider this bike deserves, so going nuts on components would be a bit silly. If I ride it as much as I'd like I'll slowly upgrade bits and pieces as I go

Rorschach

He needs an XT shifter for that!
I actually do have that on the list for an update (no RF cranks though!) as the Deore shifter I got with the groupset has a window, which I don't like aesthetically but I'll ride it for a bit first.
I am interested in trying an oval chainring though

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I actually do have that on the list for an update (no RF cranks though!) as the Deore shifter I got with the groupset has a window, which I don't like aesthetically but I'll ride it for a bit first.
I am interested in trying an oval chainring though
Haha I was going to say RF cranks but Deore are more than up to the task!

I have an oval chainring to fit - @Fred Nurk has one and quite likes it.

Oddjob

Honestly would have liked to go a bit more high-end on it but can't justify it at this stage. Half of the build I bought to put on my hardtail and really only bought the groupset for this build
I'm also not half the rider this bike deserves, so going nuts on components would be a bit silly. If I ride it as much as I'd like I'll slowly upgrade bits and pieces as I go
Bah! The Aeffect r cranks would probably save you 150gms and if you're going to bother upgrading the shifter go all the way and get XTR and get multi shift up and down.

Otherwise save the money for coaching/tyres/suspension in that order.

Rorschach

Bah! The Aeffect r cranks would probably save you 150gms and if you're going to bother upgrading the shifter go all the way and get XTR and get multi shift up and down.

Ha, I weigh >100kg - going for a dump before I hit the trails will save more weight!
I've also had single shift on every bike I've ever had so I'm not missing anything.
Coaching is something I'm interested in though

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt

XT does 2 down/3 up. Does XTR have a different multishift?

Oddjob

But 10 speed XT has it too.
Nooooo. XTR definitely has more multi release than XT in 10s. I can't remember the details but I've got both in Smaug's lair so I probably will forget to check tomorrow.

Rorschach

In the interests of putting some actual pictures in this thread and putting it remotely back on topic, here is a picture of what’s under my desk at work waiting for the frame to arrive.
In there is:
  • 1x M6120 Deore groupset from AliExpress
    • This has the brakes set-up with front brake on the LHS, so will need bleeding and setting-up moto-style
    • Also has a Deore shifter with a window, which I may sub out for an I-Spec EV XT shifter at some point for aesthetics and decluttering
  • 1x NukeProof microspline freehub
  • 1x Slik sticker set for Bomber Z2s
  • 1x set Ergon GA2 fat grips
  • 1x set OneUp composite pedals
  • 1x Shimano +20mm disc adaptor
  • 2x set Cleanskin rotor bolts

Last edited:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
FYI you can swap levers (and shorten hoses if need be) without having to re-bleed. 5 minute job.

Rorschach

FYI you can swap levers (and shorten hoses if need be) without having to re-bleed. 5 minute job.
Useful to know. This is why someone is building it up for me.
I (sort of) trust myself with maintenance, but not putting it together