Online retailers trusted/scammers

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Should be in rim well and also have stickers each side of valve hole. All mine check out ok but years ago I thought I had a fake 481 but it was when they changed how they were finished
Nope, no stickers. They could well have been pulled up when I pulled the tape off though. There is what looks to be an ID of sorts stamped into the metal to the left of the valve hole, but it's only 1/4 to 1/2 stamped in so I can't actually tell what the letters/numbers are.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
May have been that DT fucked up, sourced another supplier as they had zero covid stock... ended up with an inferior product and may 'now' need to answer. Then again, might not.

Strange that they have come from multiple ZeGe reputable companies.

PJO

in me vL comy
Should be in rim well and also have stickers each side of valve hole. All mine check out ok but years ago I thought I had a fake 481 but it was when they changed how they were finished
Those ones I built up for you looked like the real deal. Definitely had ID stickers.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
May have been that DT fucked up, sourced another supplier as they had zero covid stock... ended up with an inferior product and may 'now' need to answer. Then again, might not.

Strange that they have come from multiple ZeGe reputable companies.
I got curious about this yesterday and looked up DT Swiss dealers in Germany via their website. Neither bike components (Aachen) or r2 bike (Dresden) are listed as official dealers. Have purchased DT Swiss from both of them on multiple occasions and have no reason to doubt the legitimacy of the products received when it comes to rims and hubs.

The only thing of note was that there was an obvious visual difference between 36T ratchet rings ordered from r2 to those that came in an XM1501 wheel. Possibly nothing to be concerned about as the 240s hub on the XM1501 wheel might be made in Switzerland and upgrade parts might come from DTs factory in Taiwan.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Out of curiosity do these rims have rim ID stickers
Sticker in the rim bed yes.

I emailed Bike 24 yesterday and received a polite response overnight asking if they could see some photos. I really didn’t expect to hear back from them at all. Or a deliberate response in German pretending they had no English.
I’ll feel like real dill if they turn out to be legit and DT had just changed the finish on them or something.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The only thing of note was that there was an obvious visual difference between 36T ratchet rings ordered from r2 to those that came in an XM1501 wheel. Possibly nothing to be concerned about as the 240s hub on the XM1501 wheel might be made in Switzerland and upgrade parts might come from DTs factory in Taiwan.
Hollow and solid ?

The DT replacement ratchet sets are usually the SL models. I had the EX1501's which had 240's, can't remember the ratchet. Also pre EXP 240's had solid ratchets.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Hollow and solid ?

The DT replacement ratchet sets are usually the SL models. I had the EX1501's which had 240's, can't remember the ratchet. Also pre EXP 240's had solid ratchets.
They're both hollow (from memory), but the ratchets in the 240s have a deeper, dull grey appearance and a more refined look. All the 36T upgrade sets I have bought have are more silver in appearance.

Scotty675

Cable thief
Sticker in the rim bed yes.

I emailed Bike 24 yesterday and received a polite response overnight asking if they could see some photos. I really didn’t expect to hear back from them at all. Or a deliberate response in German pretending they had no English.
I’ll feel like real dill if they turn out to be legit and DT had just changed the finish on them or something.
If it makes you feel better, years ago I asked the question and found out they had changed. I emailed bike 24 and dt direct. Both were helpful. The new ones still scratch from wear and tear so I’ve found out

Jpez

Down on the left!
If it makes you feel better, years ago I asked the question and found out they had changed. I emailed bike 24 and dt direct. Both were helpful. The new ones still scratch from wear and tear so I’ve found out
Hhhm. Ok. The finish on this rim and the 18month old one is chalk n cheese in terms of durability. I mean it’s picked up little scratches just hanging around in my garage for a few months. Would be pretty disappointing if this is a legit DT Swiss finish.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I fired an email off to DT Swiss yesterday, got this back

The plot thickens. Interesting, and a bit disappointing, that DT have a couple of different sources and different finishes for the same product.

If @Jpez has official powdercoated rims and they scratch that easily, I’ll be thinking twice before ordering my next rims… (and yes I’m currently on EX511 and XM 481 rims)

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
The plot thickens. Interesting, and a bit disappointing, that DT have a couple of different sources and different finishes for the same product.

If @Jpez has official powdercoated rims and they scratch that easily, I’ll be thinking twice before ordering my next rims… (and yes I’m currently on EX511 and XM 481 rims)
Agreed. That is crap. You are buying a product because of its track record for strength and longevity, not because it portrays the correct image on your MySpace feed. If it is not the same product, but marketed and sold as the same product, they can jam it where a 29er shouldn't fit.

Jpez

Down on the left!
That’s pretty shit. I haven’t gotten around to sending photos back yet but I’m thinking they are legit DT rims. But with the powder coat which is far less durable.

Flow-Rider

Burner

I've said it before on here that they're an overrated rim, people think they're the best out there because they're used by large professional teams, but many people don't take into consideration the price point at which the large teams buy them, the sponsorship deals, and also the ease of availability worldwide. For many teams, they're just disposable items because some riders would dint or smash a few just in practice.

safreek

To be honest the only reason I went through them was because of the cheap box drivetrain. Could of come close to the price for SRAM on Amazon but wanted to try the box.
Lesson to self, Amazon is better than most.
Bought some brakes from Spain a while ago, took a week to arrive if I remember correctly
Well I must apologize to MTB direct, box turned up today. It was just not updating of the auspost tracking number. 1 week is fine for free postage.
Thanks MTB direct :D

Jpez

Down on the left!

Got a reply back from Bike24. They said all 511 rims have been powder coated for the last two years. fuck that.
They’re rude chunts too ze Germans.