OneUp Components EDC Every Day Carry tool review

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
I’ve had mine for close to two years and here’s what I have found;

Big pump if you can fit it. More air per stroke can only be good, right?
The green tip is also a CO2 inflator head BUT practice at home or when you’re not sweaty/puffing/late. Unscrew it a bit so it will come out when you need it.
If you pack the Tyre plugger, you’ll want the CO2, if you pack the CO2 you’ll want the canister with $10 and two zip ties etc.
The multi tool is great but has so little leverage it is a challenge for 6mm rear axles when you change a flat. Torquing to spec is easy at home with the regular hex tool, not so much on the trail with the EDC.
If your steerer is tapped and you still have the pump, the end of the pump has a cap to contain a small storage space. Padding + 2x CO2s maybe?

Still a big fan of this system despite those findings. My concern is with the issue of tapping a steerer. Can anyone explain how cutting a quality thread into a tube voids warranty, yet bashing a star nut into said tube is OK?

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
I’ve had mine for close to two years and here’s what I have found;

Big pump if you can fit it. More air per stroke can only be good, right?
The green tip is also a CO2 inflator head BUT practice at home or when you’re not sweaty/puffing/late. Unscrew it a bit so it will come out when you need it.
If you pack the Tyre plugger, you’ll want the CO2, if you pack the CO2 you’ll want the canister with $10 and two zip ties etc.
The multi tool is great but has so little leverage it is a challenge for 6mm rear axles when you change a flat. Torquing to spec is easy at home with the regular hex tool, not so much on the trail with the EDC.
If your steerer is tapped and you still have the pump, the end of the pump has a cap to contain a small storage space. Padding + 2x CO2s maybe?

Still a big fan of this system despite those findings. My concern is with the issue of tapping a steerer. Can anyone explain how cutting a quality thread into a tube voids warranty, yet bashing a star nut into said tube is OK?
Haven't heard of any warranty claims denied because of the thread. I've had two CSU's replaced under warranty no bother. Unless the tube collapses at that point the thread is irrelevant to the forks operation.

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
Haven't heard of any warranty claims denied because of the thread. I've had two CSU's replaced under warranty no bother. Unless the tube collapses at that point the thread is irrelevant to the forks operation.
Yep, probably just keyboard warrior mutterings, but most nonsense stories tend to have an iota of truth. I am going to ask the fork manufacturers to see their take on it.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I think that's why OneUp suggest the steerer should should always be 10mm proud of the stem isn't it?

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
They say 5-10mm is recommended. That tells me that while not mandatory, the reason isn’t dire. I run one of their thicker spacers directly under the cap so my forks with EDC thread have that extra built in when I cut them.

If I think of how the wall thickness is reduced at the top due to the threads cut into it, that still doesn’t make me think of how that would make the steerer any less capable. That’s a mystery I will solve in my lockdown period.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Ordered the pump first, should be here in a month or so given postal service overwhelmed...

So expensive for a bike pump but if it means I can eventually have tools all in there, and in combo with tube under seat I’ll be happy.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Ordered the pump first, should be here in a month or so given postal service overwhelmed...

So expensive for a bike pump but if it means I can eventually have tools all in there, and in combo with tube under seat I’ll be happy.
I ordered mine direct from them in the Black Friday sale or whatever it was called and postage took for bloody ever. Hopefully your experience is better.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I ordered mine direct from them in the Black Friday sale or whatever it was called and postage took for bloody ever. Hopefully your experience is better.
edit: ordered through MTBD

Still waiting for an order that shipped on the 8th....

I just take it as a nice surprise when they show up

PJO

in me vL comy
Don't have this tool, but was on the shuttle bus at Maydena and a bloke lost the EDC tools out of his steerer tube. Was the third time up the hill, previous two times no problem but seem to have rattled out on the third uplift. Road is pretty rough.
Anyone else have an EDC tool rattle out?

Good news is the bus driver spotted it on the fourth uplift.

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
Four or five trips from NQ to Tassie and back since I have installed it, the last one with a Single Trail Rack (vertically mounted bikes). Haven’t lost anything off a bike yet @PJO

I am keen to see their V2 tool. It is meant to be a better fit but that should not be at the expense of securing it on your bike.

Reactions: PJO

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I've had no dramas with the V1 (even down quite rocky/rattly trails and over a few moderate jumps on a hardtail), but I ejected a new V2 on the first ride (only over some small jumps). The fit was much looser inside the old stem (threaded) top cap, it has stayed inside the pump okay so far though. Haven't checked it the new stem cap is a smaller ID yet.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I have the EDC tool in the pump and found that after using the spoke tool, it must splay out the sides of the tool a bit (it's only aluminum) and makes it impossible to get all the way back into the pump. I had to file some clearance into it to get it to fit back in.
I did get some corrosion on the tool due to getting wet and not drying out inside the pump.
Still a great tool and pump and has got me out of trouble a few times.