One of the ones i regret selling..

fastrider gus

super huck
The bike that got me back into trail riding after 5 or 6 years off from broken bones.. My first foray into fancy new wheel sizes and dinner plate cassettes.
I loved it, one of the most fun bikes ive ever had, way better than the banshee i was riding in '04!
Got the bike from a fellow burner in good nik but soon after, the old tinker bug bit hard and the bike was completely stripped for a rebuild. Rather than paint it i sanded it back smooth and polished it up. New decals all over from Slik, lots of annodizing removed and more polishing, new bearings all round and a heap of nice hand-me-down parts from a mate.
It turned out to be an absolute stunner.. Stupidly I stripped it down and sold it all in anticipation of an even newer fandangled rig.. shoulda just kept it..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

fastrider gus

super huck
Wow i must have been drunk last night haha!

Frame is an XL
I cant remember where i first saw the polished crown on newer model pikes, i think it was some slopestyle dude who had dressed up pike DJs to look like '90s Judy SLs and i thought it looked absolutely bangin!
Ive given my last few sets of Boxxers the same treatment which really sets them off nicely. Even 1st Gen pikes too. Rockshox crowns are only painted so its an easy thing to strip without damaging stanchions.
I de-annodized and polished the headset cups even though you could only see a couple mill of them, it all blended together nicely up to the super neat silver DMR stem.
Im gonna miss having a polished alloy bike, newie will be carbon.. might have to get the flake gun out!

fastrider gus

super huck
Also, i know its sort of their "thing", but i hate the green knobs on DVOs! Looks way better silver..

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What was your technique for removing the coloured anodising?
I used to pour a bottle of 'citro clean' into a tub and submerge the part for a while, scrub and repeat.
You can use drain cleaner, or caustic soda solution.
Wear proper gloves and eye/breathing protection. I learned the damaged skin and stingy eyes way just using citric acid!

fastrider gus

super huck
What was your technique for removing the coloured anodising?
Like Live said, Caustic soda. I used to use cans of oven cleaner, their active ingredient is caustic soda but when its all foamy it takes longer.
Ive got an old deep cooking pot, fill with water, dump in a few spoons of caustic and mix it up. Drop in the clean alloy part you wanna strip and it should start bubbling after a little while. Let it chill for a couple minutes, depending on how strong your mix is, you'll see the colour starting to disolve off the part in the bubbles. You can keep pulling it out with some sort of grabber and wash it under water to see if you've got it all off. Dont just leave it in there for ages as it can actually damage some parts depending on alloy type.
Clean it off with a dishwashing scour or light steel wool, then get it on the buffer!

The fumes are pretty gnarly, and not the fun type, best to do it outside/somewhere breezy..
Once you start you'll never look at your bike the same, everything should be shiney!!