One for the machinists,

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have done abit of research but cant really find a good beginner guide, checked all the normal places eg practical machinist, I know there are a few professional and serious DIYers on here so I thought it worth a try

But I have a rongfu (Hafco branded) mill that has been slightly pulled down for 3 months due to a house move and I was going to take this opportunity to give it some maintenance, and I am totally confused on lubricants, This is the first time I have had responsability for maintaining of machines as opposed to just using someone elses gear.

I have purchased some non-detergent type oils and I have 4 areas of concern
This is what I plan on doing cna someone let me know if this is acceptable or better options?
Slides/Gibbs - ISO 68 slideway oil
Lead screws - ISO 68 machine oil
Quill bearings - Pack with HTB grease (seems to be whats in there) they have no allowance for oilers and have no real oil seals
Quill slide - ISO 22 Spindle oil

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I can't comment on the quill, but all of our production NC turning and milling centers use ISO68 slide way oil.

Edit: surprisingly I've found IG to be a good resource for machining q&a

Last edited:

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On a semi related note, can you get iso100 slideway oil from your supplier? Owners of mattocs (me) use a motorex iso100 in fork lowers for lubricant, but its hard to get and expensive to ship from NZ/ze germans who are the only two retailers ive found...

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I have done abit of research but cant really find a good beginner guide, checked all the normal places eg practical machinist, I know there are a few professional and serious DIYers on here so I thought it worth a try

But I have a rongfu (Hafco branded) mill that has been slightly pulled down for 3 months due to a house move and I was going to take this opportunity to give it some maintenance, and I am totally confused on lubricants, This is the first time I have had responsability for maintaining of machines as opposed to just using someone elses gear.

I have purchased some non-detergent type oils and I have 4 areas of concern
This is what I plan on doing cna someone let me know if this is acceptable or better options?
Slides/Gibbs - ISO 68 slideway oil
Lead screws - ISO 68 machine oil
Quill bearings - Pack with HTB grease (seems to be whats in there) they have no allowance for oilers and have no real oil seals
Quill slide - ISO 22 Spindle oil
I passed your questions onto my mate who's a machinist by trade, and he replied that your choices are spot on, don't sweat it over older manual machines, they arn't picky on lubs.