POS Old School Mongoose

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why is there no prefix for Gravel bikes in here haha.

This is my kind of retro mod / super old school XC weapon.
I've had this bike since new back in 1997, and just cant part with it. I still have all original components for it including full 3x8 grip-shift groupset. But is now running a 10 speed trigger shift modern-ish group and a set of less ancient wheels off something from the mid 2000's. Hate to think how far this thing has now travelled! The clear has taken a battering over the years, I'd like to redo it again at some stage.

Its a riot to ride with its super long stem and twitchy handling, love getting it on the single trail every now and again if I feel like living on the edge haha.
But otherwise is used for less demanding cruises up in the mountains, on the rail trails or out with the kids. Still goes pretty good as a Gravel bike lol.

Hope you enjoy this step back it time! From when triple crank-sets were a thing and brakes were 559mm

Frame – 1997 Mongoose Rockadile SX, Alloy.
Bar Ends – Fuck yes!
Front shock/fork – Answer Manitou Pro
Handlebars – Pazzaz
Stem – Mongoose 130mm
Headset - Tioga
Grips – Very old and hard
Saddle – Koski Engineering
Seatpost – Mongoose alloy
Front brake – Shimano XTR V-brake, Avid SD 1.9L lever
Rear brake – Avid 1D V-brake, Avid SD 1.9 L lever
Cranks – Shimano FC-MC20 Triple
Chainguide - haha
Chain – Shimano 10 speed
Pedals – Shimano M540 clipless
Front derailleur – Shimano Deore LX triple
Rear derailleur - Shimano XT M781 - 10 speed
Front shifter – Shimano Deore M610 - Triple
Rear shifter - Shimano Deore M610 - 10 speed
Cassette – Shimano Deore 10 speed 11 - 36
Front hub – Formula
Rear hub – Shimano Deore M510
Front rim – ZAC 19
Rear rim – ZAC 19
Spokes – Black
Nipples - Yes
Tyres – Front – Panaracer 26x2.1, Rear – Huchinson Scorpion 26x2.0
Tubes – Dam right
Total weight – 13kg

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
For sure.
Burners Melbourne oldschool ride is in the pipeline, would be awesome to have some more old bangers to join in :)
I'll try to get the finishing touches on my barracuda asap. Pretty keen to head out and see why we don't ride bikes like that anymore

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll try to get the finishing touches on my barracuda asap. Pretty keen to head out and see why we don't ride bikes like that anymore

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Haha, too right lol.
Let me know as soon as you're ready and I'll get a ride set up in the events section.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well the state of the clear coat finally got the better of me.
Ended up stripping the old girl down and polishing up the frame.
Final wet/dry paper was 1200 grit before spending way too long hand polishing lol.
But very happy with the end result.
Came up so good almost impossible to get a good shot of it due to the reflection lol.
Anyway here she is now.
1000013008.jpg
1000013009.jpg
1000013010.jpg
1000013114.jpg
1000013026.jpg

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Well the state of the clear coat finally got the better of me.
Ended up stripping the old girl down and polishing up the frame.
Final wet/dry paper was 1200 grit before spending way too long hand polishing lol.
But very happy with the end result.
Came up so good almost impossible to get a good shot of it due to the reflection lol.
Anyway here she is now.
View attachment 405773View attachment 405774View attachment 405775View attachment 405776View attachment 405777
Hell yeah. While this looks damn fine as-is, I also can't wait to see it with re-pro decals on it!

Are you going to go full-tilt and repaint and re-decal the fork lowers?

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hell yeah. While this looks damn fine as-is, I also can't wait to see it with re-pro decals on it!

Are you going to go full-tilt and repaint and re-decal the fork lowers?
Love the clean look for the moment, but will eventually get the decals done. I've taken high res shots of everything so I can reproduce. Even the Gold Cross cycles dealer sticker.

Unfortunately these forks are stuffed internally now, so will need to source a better replacement before restoring.