Old as you feel....

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Feeling pretty old this week at 36. OTB at youyangs resulting in a separated shoulder, it'll be 3-6 months before I'm as close to 100% as it will get. In my younger days, I would not have crashed and bounced better... but it won't stop me from progressing my jumping, looking forward to getting back on the bike out there.

Snapcatcher

Likes Bikes
Old thread.... a bit like us.

Reading the reply's in this thread is reassuring. I'm 37, and only been back into MTB for about nine months, but really enjoying it. Feel like i'm progressing pretty quickly and pushing my boundary's every ride. I bought a new 120mm trail bike in November, but now decided that I want to do DH, and have set myself a goal to be racing DH next year, club level and maybe SEQDH. I under no illusions that I'm gonna be awesome, but want to get into the racing side more for a social thing and have something to be focused on.

Today I'll be putting a deposit on a new DH bike, but have been grappling for the last few days if I'm doing the right thing. Wondering if I'm in getting over my head, and if I'm kidding myself considering going racing for the first time ever... when I'll be 38. Reading this thread shows me that there are other older guys out there doing it, so no reason I cant do it myself. Cheers Rotorburn.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Old thread.... a bit like us.

Reading the reply's in this thread is reassuring. I'm 37, and only been back into MTB for about nine months, but really enjoying it. Feel like i'm progressing pretty quickly and pushing my boundary's every ride. I bought a new 120mm trail bike in November, but now decided that I want to do DH, and have set myself a goal to be racing DH next year, club level and maybe SEQDH. I under no illusions that I'm gonna be awesome, but want to get into the racing side more for a social thing and have something to be focused on.

Today I'll be putting a deposit on a new DH bike, but have been grappling for the last few days if I'm doing the right thing. Wondering if I'm in getting over my head, and if I'm kidding myself considering going racing for the first time ever... when I'll be 38. Reading this thread shows me that there are other older guys out there doing it, so no reason I cant do it myself. Cheers Rotorburn.
Do it! I recently raced for the first time ever (well north of 38) and had a ball. It's great fun on many levels and simply striving to get better is both challenging and rewarding. You won't look back.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
There's something cool about riding a set course. You don't have to be in it to win it, just challenge yourself, race against yourself and enjoy yourself.
Get into the atmosphere of the day. Just remember everyone is there for the same reason as you, and it's pretty cool for the younger guys to see older dudes still trying to rip it!

Plenty of slower/lesser skilled riders about and the crowds are still happy when these riders tackle a harder part of the course and come out on the other side with the rubber still down!
ALTHOUGH, they do love a good crash too. :party:

Just get out and have fun!

I'm not too far behind at 34... I've only done 2 races. The first almost put me off forever because it was so poorly run and the track conditions were absolutely abysmal. Just a really bad weekend overall.
It took me 2 more years to become interested in a second race... then I crashed out on the final practice run. Hahaha.

Still keen to get out to more this coming season!

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Still keen to get out to more this coming season!
Round 3 of KOB is coming up....

Interesting to mix it up with the younger guys. And that certain amount of humility that only comes with age, is essential when you're getting flogged by the little rippers in the under 15s....

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Man this thread rings true for me in so many ways. I'm 38 and returned to mountain bikes a couple of years ago.
It's the only thing I think about these days!

I simultaneously love my bike & riding fast......but I hate my age, and automatic risk avoidance, that just wasn't there in my 20's.

I dodged a major bullet a few weeks back with a huge OTB that should have broken my collarbone & concussed my foolish brain.
My mates still cannot believe I walked away unscathed. There was a large divot out of the ground where I landed and my helmet is fooked.
I think I used my one-and-only get outta jail card. But it also put a smile on my face because I still pushed hard enough to fail y'know?

The trouble is....(or the awesome thing is?)....when I get on my bike I immediately feel much younger....even just rolling along the trail doing not much.
....and when it gets steeper I can't resist going as fast as I can.

I'm itching to have a crack at the Tas Enduro Series (as a veteran AND a race virgin)....it will happen....but haven't quite got the time/money aligned for it yet....

Great thread.

slowmick

38-39"
Snapcatcher - get out there and enjoy some racing.

I started my enduro "racing" career at 41. The Masters are a great bunch of like minded nutters. There is a level of competition but everyone still has to go to work on Monday. Once you've ridden in the back of a few shuttles with Juniors and Supermasters (50+) it'll be clear that age is just a number and an indication of how long it will take to recover from an off. Everybody has the same stupid grin on their face after a run.

And yes, there is a fair chance when you start out you'll be slower by both the youngens and the oldies. Some riders start quick and never slow down.:thumb:

moorey

call me Mia
Feeling pretty old this week at 36. OTB at youyangs resulting in a separated shoulder, it'll be 3-6 months before I'm as close to 100% as it will get. In my younger days, I would not have crashed and bounced better... but it won't stop me from progressing my jumping, looking forward to getting back on the bike out there.
40 year old virgin now?

moorey

call me Mia
Yep! Pay day Friday and will try set some cash aside.
Sir Boom-A-Lot is gonna lemme know when rego opens up.

Hopefully I can get in before it's full this time.
After so many missed out last round, you'll need to be quick. :behindsofa:

Snapcatcher

Likes Bikes

I made the above post in June last year. I bought the DH rig and got into it. Tried to rush my progress a bit and was planning to do a race last year, until I crashed at the pre-race open day and busted my knee. Complete torn ACL, partial torn MCL and Meniscus. I chose to not get the surgery to repair the ACL so I'm living without it. Was back on the bike after about 2 months, and now ride with a brace on my left knee.

Had another nasty crash in early January when I misjudged a drop, and busted my shoulder and wrist. Shoulder bursitis and strained wrist ligaments. That one kept me off the bike for about 4-6 weeks. Still have some pain in the shoulder and now ride with a brace on my right wrist. Most people I knew were asking why I would keep riding (except my wife who has supported me fully) but it's just to much fun to give up, plus I still had that goal to race.

Anyway, Had my first ever race last weekend in the SEQDH series in Masters 1/2. My goal was to finish in one piece and not come last in my category. I achieved those goals. I was nervous all day and throughout the day I questioned if racing was for me, but then I put down my best run in the race run, and once I was done I realised I had actually had a blast. I had achieved my goal of racing downhill when 18 months ago I'd never ridden a duel suspension bike. The beer tasted sweet that night. Now looking forward to round 2 in a couple weeks.

So that's my long winded fluff story, but my message is to anyone out there thinking of doing it... is just go for it. And thanks to the guys that provided the encouragement.

Last edited:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I made the above post in June last year. I bought the DH rig and got into it. Tried to rush my progress a bit and was planning to do a race last year, until I crashed at the pre-race open day and busted my knee. Complete torn ACL, partial torn MCL and Meniscus. I chose to not get the surgery to repair the ACL so I'm living without it. Was back on the bike after about 2 months, and now ride with a brace on my left knee.

Had another nasty crash in early January when I misjudged a drop, and busted my shoulder and wrist. Shoulder bursitis and strained wrist ligaments. That one kept me off the bike for about 4-6 weeks. Still have some pain in the shoulder and now ride with a brace on my right wrist. Most people I knew were asking why I would keep riding (except my wife who has supported me fully) but it's just to much fun to give up, plus I still had that goal to race.

Anyway, Had my first ever race last weekend in the SEQDH series in Masters 1/2. My goal was to finish in one piece and not come last in my category. I achieved those goals. I was nervous all day and throughout the day I questioned if racing was for me, but then I put down my best run in the race run, and once I was done I realised I had actually had a blast. I had achieved my goal of racing downhill when 18 months ago I'd never ridden a duel suspension bike. The beer tasted sweet that night. Now looking forward to round 2 in a couple weeks.

So that's my long winded fluff story, but my message is to anyone out there thinking of doing it... is just go for it. And thanks to the guys that provided the encouragement.
Cool story Bro! Well done. I know exactly how you feel.....