Old as you feel....

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
it won't stop me from progressing my jumping, looking forward to getting back on the bike out there.
I had an awkward end to trail time today. I cased the gap of doom on my last run. It had just rained a little and the sunlight was fading, so not an ideal time to try and hit it clean. At least that is what I told myself.

It's not even that big, I measured it as 5.5m with a tape measure a while back. Perhaps factor in some margin of fuckwit. Simple mistake of not clearing the slightly larger jump before it and tapped my brakes on the way in. Only minor...

Hopefully this doesn't cause me grief when I'm next on the trail! I'd hate to feel old...

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Hopefully this doesn't cause me grief when I'm next on the trail! I'd hate to feel old...
I never did jump that jump again, i had done it many many times before it got me, but now i do the ride of shame around it (like most people). Hence I have been officially old for some years now. Funny thing is I jump pretty much everything else, many bigger and more awkward, but the brain says naw to this one.

My advice is just hit it next run unless you truly feel you'll die if you do, only way to beat old age.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I had an awkward end to trail time today. I cased the gap of doom on my last run. It had just rained a little and the sunlight was fading, so not an ideal time to try and hit it clean. At least that is what I told myself.

It's not even that big, I measured it as 5.5m with a tape measure a while back. Perhaps factor in some margin of fuckwit. Simple mistake of not clearing the slightly larger jump before it and tapped my brakes on the way in. Only minor...

Which one is the gap of doom?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I never did jump that jump again, i had done it many many times before it got me, but now i do the ride of shame around it (like most people).
Shit. I've been old since before I was 30! Had a big buster on "the creek gap" which isn't even over a creek. Week in hospital, 18 months off the trails, 2 rounds of surgery. Haven't ridden it since. Not riding was too boring. Oddly I've ridden much bigger since.

Which one is the gap of doom?
By comparison to 2 others "there" it isn't so deadly...second jump on no B lines.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Rock huck at the trail beginning and the tight right straight after the second gap?
That's the one. Drop, sweeping left, step down table, step down gap, hard right, whoops, sweeping left, drifting right, drop log, hard left, step down off log into gully, sweeping left out of gully, split and climb up or rock drop, split to rock garden or steep blah to fire road. It's a fun trail.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing.....
Precisely. I am 62 and took up hapkido a couple of years back with my son. For him it was for discipline and self defence for me it's to regain flexibility and agility. Seems to help with both surfing and MTB and helps me maintain my mediocrity. I use riding to gain fitness and endurance for the gradings - which are pretty tough.

So even though I may not be riding as aggressively or skillfully as I might have, I'm still getting something out of it. Although I did manage to get into the top 10 in Strava for one of my local loops in the last year, but only 1! Then there are the occasions where I discover a new trail and it's like being young all over again! I don't ride road much these days, the princes highway used to be very quiet 30 years ago now at 5am it is peak hour with all the new housing development on the south coast.

I also undertook and completed my surf lifesaving bronze in February and while I wouldn't say it was arduous there are some times you must meet, swim 400m in under 9 minutes and do a 200m x 200m x 200m run/swim/run in under 8 minutes. I have to say I was happy to beat the teenagers I was training with and came first every time! It's a small club, it certainly wouldn't happen at one of the big clubs or any of the Cronulla clubs but I felt smug for a day or 3 :p Never stop physically challenging yourself.