oil on discbrake?

baden72

Likes Bikes
got oil on my disc-brake so i took it off cleaned the pads with metho and dryed it out. works bit better but not much. should i sand it down a bit?? cant get down my local bike shop anytime soon, so i cant buy new pads. any other suggestions??
thanx;)

monosylabik

Likes Dirt
heat up your oven to about 230 degrees, put the pads on a piece of tin foil and in the oven. about once ever 10 minutes take them out (with plyers) and dip them in some cold water. then put them back in the oven. do this maybe 4 times.

the reason for putting the pads in the oven is so it burns all the oil off and heats the pads evenly. if you were to put a blow torch or something to it, your pads would be ruined.

as for the disc, best to just get some sand paper to it.

simple

Mojo

Likes Dirt
my methods:

1) get a good disc cleaner, take the caliper off, spray the rotor with disk cleaner and get a clean rag, and spin the rotor through the rag, repeat this about 4 or 5 times, the oil will come off pretty quickly

2) pads, fill up a pot with water and put your pads in it, boil the pot dry, this should take more than 15 minutes, once it has been boiled dry removed the pads, throw them on a baking tray and chuck em in the oven for about 30 mins, nice and hot

3) after everything has cooled down give your pads a light sand, chuck em back in and give your rotor once last spin through a rag, then go crazy, works well for me, hope you have some luck

Bicycle_Recycle

Cannon Fodder
scrub the rotor with a good grade sand paper that will get rid of most/ the majourity of the oil on it and also give the pads a bit of a rub too.

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
heat up your oven to about 230 degrees, put the pads on a piece of tin foil and in the oven. about once ever 10 minutes take them out (with plyers) and dip them in some cold water. then put them back in the oven. do this maybe 4 times.

the reason for putting the pads in the oven is so it burns all the oil off and heats the pads evenly. if you were to put a blow torch or something to it, your pads would be ruined.

as for the disc, best to just get some sand paper to it.

simple
i also recommend the oven method works for me, except i just leave them in there for about 30mins.

Si222

Likes Bikes
Take your pads out and soak them in a jar or paint thinner, works a charm everytime, but DO NOT use near calipers or anything rubberish or it will die!

06Nomad

Likes Bikes
All you need to clean the rotor is isocol rubbing alcohol, the oil wont penetrate the steel rotor. The pads are a different story, i had no luck by boiling them in water, but the oven method might work. The problem with pads is the oil gets into the pad material and is near impossible to get out. I ended up replacing my pads.