Ohlins TTX2Air Vs. Cane Creek Double Barrel Kitsuma Air

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Basically the bit you are trying to get out should actually rotate freely in the shock bushing which itself should not rotate in the shock eyelet. Nothing should rotate on the bolt that holds the shock on place.

Its sounds like it is seized in the shock bushing.

Squirt some penetrating lube on it and tap it out with something soft like a block of wood.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Basically the bit you are trying to get out should actually rotate freely in the shock bushing which itself should not rotate in the shock eyelet. Nothing should rotate on the bolt that holds the shock on place.

Its sounds like it is seized in the shock bushing.

Squirt some penetrating lube on it and tap it out with something soft like a block of wood.
That is precisely what has happened. I was surprised to find that the RS was stuck rigid in the mount when I took it out the other day. Fortunately, it doesn't have to swing too far when compressed into its travel, but it does have to move a couple of degree. I wonder if this was contributing to the crappy feel of that shock. Surprises me that it's seized, it's only about 20 hours - only 15 hours of serious riding - into its life.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
So the bottom end of the shock - the end that I had to modify - now sits in the frame mounts smooth and snug. However, when I mount the shock fully into the frame, it's clear that things aren't 100% straight. I assume that it's the frame, but there up to 1mm where it bolts into the linkage and I'm concerned about the shock stroke being not completely straight and stressing the seals on one side. Is it advisable to stick a shim in there to try and straighten things up as much as possible?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
So the bottom end of the shock - the end that I had to modify - now sits in the frame mounts smooth and snug. However, when I mount the shock fully into the frame, it's clear that things aren't 100% straight. I assume that it's the frame, but there up to 1mm where it bolts into the linkage and I'm concerned about the shock stroke being not completely straight and stressing the seals on one side. Is it advisable to stick a shim in there to try and straighten things up as much as possible?
Do you think that you 'machined' the lower shock mount hardware 'unstraight'? Can you rotate the bushings around so that it aligns with the upper mount better?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
@beeb OoooOoh, they do like blingy.

Might have to get serious about one of those. Can't see an Aussie distributor anywhere on their webpage. Where'd you get yours from, @Scotty T ?

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Do you think that you 'machined' the lower shock mount hardware 'unstraight'? Can you rotate the bushings around so that it aligns with the upper mount better?
I don't think so as I've got the spacers on and it's pretty flush on both ends. Of course, I can't tell for sure, but I don't believe the difference is near as much as the gap that shows at the top when mounting it. It's really only a smidge, to be fair and when everything is done up tight there's no sticktion at the start of travel on the shock, so it's super-minor, but still enough to wear the seals unevenly.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
@beeb OoooOoh, they do like blingy.

Might have to get serious about one of those. Can't see an Aussie distributor anywhere on their webpage. Where'd you get yours from, @Scotty T ?
@Nambra and I went shared postage on a couple direct and halves on the pressing tool. He has the tool but happy for you to pay postage and share it around, though it's not completely necessary IIRC. But it looks cool and works nice.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Thread with some good info and feedback on it: