Official Old Mans Valley MTB Park - Hornsby

spikenet

Likes Dirt
As far as I know omv is only open half day saturday and all day sunday.

Unless something drastic has changed Jubes remains a testament to how to spend a lot of money and get a steaming turd as a result.

Check out nearby Westleigh, a testament to what can be achieved with little money and a bunch of hard working selfless people who love mtb.
ok, thats dissapointing! Amazing with all these new parks and projects in Vic and tassie, NSW seems to have very few things happening..

Havnt been to westleigh for years, didnt think it was very beginner friendly, but maybe thats changed?

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
As far as I know omv is only open half day saturday and all day sunday.

Unless something drastic has changed Jubes remains a testament to how to spend a lot of money and get a steaming turd as a result.

Check out nearby Westleigh, a testament to what can be achieved with little money and a bunch of hard working selfless people who love mtb.
I think it's open everyday now but only the limited trails (2.3km or so) I'll see if I can find further info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I'll see if I can find it then, I mean the fire station on the small loop road where westleigh trail starts from... It's not a fire trail and there's no way to avoid the climb, really.
https://www.strava.com/activities/411952252/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1444703630

This was my take on the loop, ignore the little backtrack section down the valley, that would have been a nice link but land owner at very top has cut off road access.

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
https://www.strava.com/activities/411952252/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1444703630

This was my take on the loop, ignore the little backtrack section down the valley, that would have been a nice link but land owner at very top has cut off road access.

Yup, going from Hornsby to westleigh avoids the big hill, unless you have to go back to Hornsby! So, you used to be able to come up between 2 properties in Higgens Place... Last time I went along that route it was massively overgrown (and I couldn't find any way between the houses..) and had been pretty wet for a while before and I was literally covered in leeches... That area of the valley is mental for that...

If you are keen apparently you can go from the end of quarter sessions rd down the walking track and that brings you out at the top of the concrete firetrail in the valley...

I still vote for cutting a new trail up the fence of the quarry... It looks like weeds mostly, what looks like privet from memory... So a massive pain

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Higgens place was actually quite a manageable climb, shame i wasn't able to get the whole way. Bush bashed from there across the ridge below the houses to about 400m short of warrigal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stickso

Likes Dirt
ok, thats dissapointing! Amazing with all these new parks and projects in Vic and tassie, NSW seems to have very few things happening..

Havnt been to westleigh for years, didnt think it was very beginner friendly, but maybe thats changed?
There's a good mix now with a lot more beginner friendly singletrack + more for experienced riders.

If you're driving Ruddock Park is still the best place to leave the car.

spikenet

Likes Dirt
There's a good mix now with a lot more beginner friendly singletrack + more for experienced riders.

If you're driving Ruddock Park is still the best place to leave the car.
Cool thanks. Might have to do a recce before I take my missus and 7yo there. Don't want any surprises.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
Higgens place was actually quite a manageable climb, shame i wasn't able to get the whole way. Bush bashed from there across the ridge below the houses to about 400m short of warrigal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yup, was private property though... but still would be good to have access!

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Yup, was private property though... but still would be good to have access!
Taking a closer look It was actually keyes close where I got stopped by the signs/fence. Where I bush bashed was marked by pink tape in the foliage every 5-10m

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cool thanks. Might have to do a recce before I take my missus and 7yo there. Don't want any surprises.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Westleigh is great for beginners, my 4yo (almost 5) can do the green loops a few bits of the light blue stuff easily. It's nice and flat with nothing too technical but still heaps of fun

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
Taking a closer look It was actually keyes close where I got stopped by the signs/fence. Where I bush bashed was marked by pink tape in the foliage every 5-10m

Yup, know that bit... that was where I was attacked by leeches... Turns out I don't like leeches.

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
At the track work last weekend they were hoping that the full 7km will be open in a months time. The only downside is the fire road up to quarry road will still be closed. There will be a new entrance up by the pool and all the trails under the pool will be open, from there you will be able to ride under the new road up to the TAFE and then ride lava flow to a tunnel under the conveyor to turkey Royale where there is now an uphill climb to the jump area and the new tracks that have already reopened.
Hope that makes sense.

Binaural

Eats Squid
There was a post on Instagram that suggested there was only about a week to go - that might have referred only to the jump park though. The sections near the entrance by Hornsby pool looked already pretty complete a month ago.

Binaural

Eats Squid
So the official Hornsby twitter account has declared these trails open other than the jump track - can anyone confirm?

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
What are the poolside trails like, is it same stuff that existed pre-closure?
I was there a couple weeks ago and the main trails down to the jump park are a little too short until the rest of it opens up.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
What are the poolside trails like, is it same stuff that existed pre-closure?
I was there a couple weeks ago and the main trails down to the jump park are a little too short until the rest of it opens up.
I've walked it all and there's about 50% new stuff 50% same trails but slightly realigned or changed direction. Definitely different and some cool lines to explore.