Off Road Bikes Online (ORBO)

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A little bit of info for those interested in running a coil shock on a yoke driven bike like the Revel

SummitFever

Eats Squid
A normal shock, air or coil should never be used as a structural element in a suspension design. They are not designed for any amount of side loading although some may tolerate this better than others.

moorey

call me Mia
Purely for interest sake, I tested for flex on Felix’s Rail just now, with and without the shock connected.
Felt no discernible change in rigidity, and noticeably stiffer than any my my own bikes. Used wheel to flex, all running running basically the same wheels.
He definitely rates it as stiffer than his previous burly Kona, and commented the other day at the Youies that my Rune felt like a wet noodle after doing a run on it :(

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Purely for interest sake, I tested for flex on Felix’s Rail just now, with and without the shock connected.
Felt no discernible change in rigidity, and noticeably stiffer than any my my own bikes. Used wheel to flex, all running running basically the same wheels.
He definitely rates it as stiffer than his previous burly Kona, and commented the other day at the Youies that my Rune felt like a wet noodle after doing a run on it :(
You sure he wasn't just poking fun at how you ride it ;)

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A normal shock, air or coil should never be used as a structural element in a suspension design. They are not designed for any amount of side loading although some may tolerate this better than others.
This is exactly what I mean - if there is better wording than structural element I am happy to use it, but I consider resistance to side loading as providing a structural element?

"There’s also the fact that some suspension designs that have a yoke, shock extender or clevis put too much side load on a coil shock and are also not recommended." - https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/bl...upgrading-the-rear-shock-on-you-mountain-bike
This is common for many brands - ask Yeti, Specialized, Pivot, Marin, Ibis, Commencal and Canyon about their yoke driven bikes and you will probably get the same answer.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
How did the rotec compare?