Product Review Nukeproof Horizon Advanced Rim Defence

You don’t come across a lot of folks running a tube nowadays. Tubeless tyre systems in mountain biking are certainly here to stay but it doesn’t entirely eliminate the chance of a flat tyre does it? The early days of tubeless setup were only just okay but I was beating my rims up pretty badly in those days. Now though? Touch wood, I haven’t copped a dented rim for a long time thanks to rim protection. I’ve used a few and have been very satisfied with what I’ve used. There is one in particular that has ticked every box on my list though; the Nukeproof Horizon Advanced Rim Defence from Chain Reaction Cycles.

I’m surprised that there isn’t more rim protection out there. There are a few types but the ones that make sense to me are the simple idea of a chunk of material inside the tyre that creates a barrier between that sharp edged rock and your alloy rim. The Nukeproof Horizon Advanced Rim Defence is a super light closed cell foam material that sits nice and snug against the inside face of your rim but is roomy enough to allow your tyre bead to be seated just right. Its stupidly cheap and ridiculously light. My scales say the pair of ARD’s weight under 300 grams and my credit card statement says $80.99 for the pair. I’m running the system on a set of 650B wheels but the price stays the same for a 29er setup. Also included in that price is a great pair of tubeless valves with a nifty groove in the base of the valve stem that allows not only the air to circulate into the tyre to get your desired pressure but for those who use a tyre sealant injector, its plenty of room for the sealant to stream in. They’re a sweet copper coloured stem too! That never fails.

Fitting the ARD to your wheel is a simple exercise. Take your tyre off, chuck the ARD valves in, lay the hoop of the ARD around the rim and whack that tyre on. Fitting the last part of the tyre is tighter than normal as the tyre needs to get underneath the ARD and seat itself. That’s the first nod of confidence though as you know the Rim Defence is located exactly where you want it when the hardest rock on earth tries to get intimidate with your alloy or carbon rim edge. Worth noting is this closed cell foam material doesn’t absorb sealant but I add an extra 40ml just so it covers me in case I need that bit extra that is stuck to the ARD.

How does the Nukeproof Horizon Advanced Rim Defence feel on a ride though? Does it actually feel any different to what you’e used? Yes and no. If you’re using tubes then this will feel similar to that but way lighter as the rotational weight of a tube is gone and replaced with something super light. If you are used to running tubeless and no rim protection then you’re gonna feel something similar to a tyre that has a stiffer sidewall but paired with lower pressure for grip; you’re winning. Lets touch on the lower pressure thing. Why run your tyre pressure lower? Well, lower pressure means more tyre surface making contact with the trail as your tyre flattens it’s contact face and those knobs that too many people refer to as side knobs are actually biting into the trail. Lower pressure has more positive than negative and if it means you’re getting more grip? Do it. This is where rim protection comes in! Lower pressure means the gap between the trail surface and your pricey rims is less and having that barrier between your rim and that hard rock is reassuring and I guarantee will stop pinch flats (…..snakebites in a tube) and will protect your rims. Running a higher tyre pressure will still see the need for rim defence as the characteristic of the tyre only changes by how much the tyre can flatten out with lower pressure. Higher pressure means less rolling resistance but less grip, feel me?

This review is not intended to be a long winded babble about some snake oil cool aid thing. I’ve mentioned in previous reviews that we’ve seen some top notch developments that have progressed mountain bikes into the next phase. Things like adjustable suspension, hydraulic disc brakes and dropper posts to name a few. While tubeless tyre systems aren’t a new thing, we certainly haven’t seen any radical enhancements to that setup. The idea of rim defence is a must for anyone running tubeless though, I cannot say enough about how valuable this system is. I have rim defence in all of my mountain bikes and to this day, I have not had one flat tyre and my rims look fresh with no dents or chips from hard hits. Rim defence is a no brainer and is executed extremely well with this amazing interpretation of how to make a simple product work so well with the Nukeproof Horizon Advanced Rim Protection. Don’t even think it over, add it to your basket on Chain Reaction Cycles and ride harder with more confidence in your gear. It really is that simple.

Last edited:

Comments

Check out this video, gives very good fundamentals that helped me fitting tyres with inserts.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Check out this video, gives very good fundamentals that helped me fitting tyres with inserts.

Cheers....

That said... I have zero issues without the insert... I just can't get any leverage for the last 6 inches of bead with it in... and it's an old tire so should be easy!

Driving me crazy...

Fun Friday huh? Haha. F**k.

I found DD tyres near impossible to mount with the ARD. I’ve snapped at least 2 tyre levers and still couldn’t mount them. Maybe non plastic ones may do the job, but you risk damaging the rim.

I found DD tyres near impossible to mount with the ARD. I’ve snapped at least 2 tyre levers and still couldn’t mount them. Maybe non plastic ones may do the job, but you risk damaging the rim.
It is a fight from hell on a tight fitting rim it seems. I didn't have tlany trouble with my old rim (RF Aeffect) but with this new one I'm not even close... and yep 2 tire levers short after last night's attempt.

I'm just going to go DH casing and take the ARD out for now. Or run the slightly stretched ARD but potentially defeats the purpose.

It is a fight from hell on a tight fitting rim it seems. I didn't have tlany trouble with my old rim (RF Aeffect) but with this new one I'm not even close... and yep 2 tire levers short after last night's attempt.

I'm just going to go DH casing and take the ARD out for now. Or run the slightly stretched ARD but potentially defeats the purpose.
I'm fitting one tomorrow. It's an EXO and bontrager rim. I hope it goes easier for me.. In saying that though I find DDs absolute pigs to get on depending on the rim so I can imagine with an insert they'd be worse. Was it a challenge to get on even without the insert?

Was ok without insert but still doable by hand with a bit of water in tire and rim... nowhere near as easy as say EXO.

It's strange as I did manage to get the same tire on with ARD in my last rim... but with new wheel I'm not even close...

And I don't want to spend $40 on tire levers to get it on! I also don't want to risk f**king a brand new wheel.

Good luck with yours... EXO should go on fine.

Have you guys tried mounting and inflating the new tyre and leaving for a day or so to stretch the bead?

Yep always do that with brand new tire.

I'm literally trying to get the same tire I've been using for a few months onto a new wheel with a new (not stretched) ARD and it's impossible.

The new rim must be slightly bigger or more rigid... and I must be a knob.

Going for a ride sans ARD... gave up! Tire has massive wobble so new rubber on the way... Will try again once that arrives. Not hopeful.

Mine has already developed the noise... after 3 rides. You don't think it be but it do.

I dunno how this got past product testing, like I get that its no big deal, but it doesn't make me think highly of nukeproof products.
out of interest what is the noise like ?

ive got some in a new set of horizon wheels , and they are ok rolling, but make a strange noise on impact with a rattle sensation ,

Almost like a hollow metallic sound on hits , tonk , tonk

out of interest what is the noise like ?

ive got some in a new set of horizon wheels , and they are ok rolling, but make a strange noise on impact with a rattle sensation ,

Almost like a hollow metallic sound on hits , tonk , tonk
thats what the ARD sounded like.

I dunno why your wheels would sound like that... bit scary.

Anyone cut and joined one of theses with glue? I've heard of people joining with a zip tie before but would like to keep a clean join as i thought the zip would eventually tear through the holes.
The idea was to buy the 29" version kit and use one on the rear of a 27.5 wheel by cutting and joining and the other on the rear of the 29er bike.
looking for a strong closed cell foam glue and then maybe a round of tape over the join.
Thoughts?

Anyone cut and joined one of theses with glue? I've heard of people joining with a zip tie before but would like to keep a clean join as i thought the zip would eventually tear through the holes.
The idea was to buy the 29" version kit and use one on the rear of a 27.5 wheel by cutting and joining and the other on the rear of the 29er bike.
looking for a strong closed cell foam glue and then maybe a round of tape over the join.
Thoughts?
I have, easy job. I made it about an inch shorter and it helped remove some of the slight wobble. Best advice is to make sure the cut you make is square and bonds well to the other end. I used Loctite super glue, worked just fine and didn't melt the material. Keep in mind that is does make it tight to refit and it does make getting the air in a little more tedious as the material sits tighter over your valve stem inside the tyre.

As I was reading this it made me wonder if there’s enough meat to make a lap joint. Maybe that would make a much stronger bond than a simple butt joint. That way you possibly don’t need the tape to reinforce it making it a tighter fit. Dunno. Just thinking out loud.

As I was reading this it made me wonder if there’s enough meat to make a lap joint. Maybe that would make a much stronger bond than a simple butt joint. That way you possibly don’t need the tape to reinforce it making it a tighter fit. Dunno. Just thinking out loud.
Maybe a finger joint with a foam dowel? :p

I like the way you guys think!
I was was actually thinking dovetail style joint so that they lock together.
The super glue surprised me; good to know it won’t melt the foam.

I've been looking around at tyre inserts and just discovered these.

I've seen some suggest Nukeproof have fixed the stretch issue, but also a CRC review complaining that they still stretch despite the claim it's resolved.

Has anyone here purchased a set more recently and able to offer any personal experience before I make the leap? I don't tolerate clicks, creaks and rattles well and really can't be assed fixing a tyre insert all the time, but also don't want to spend CushCore money, haha.

I've been looking around at tyre inserts and just discovered these.

I've seen some suggest Nukeproof have fixed the stretch issue, but also a CRC review complaining that they still stretch despite the claim it's resolved.

Has anyone here purchased a set more recently and able to offer any personal experience before I make the leap? I don't tolerate clicks, creaks and rattles well and really can't be assed fixing a tyre insert all the time, but also don't want to spend CushCore money, haha.
Did you end up trying them? Anything to report? I'm in the exact same boat now haha