Product Review Nukeproof Horizon Advanced Rim Defence

You don’t come across a lot of folks running a tube nowadays. Tubeless tyre systems in mountain biking are certainly here to stay but it doesn’t entirely eliminate the chance of a flat tyre does it? The early days of tubeless setup were only just okay but I was beating my rims up pretty badly in those days. Now though? Touch wood, I haven’t copped a dented rim for a long time thanks to rim protection. I’ve used a few and have been very satisfied with what I’ve used. There is one in particular that has ticked every box on my list though; the Nukeproof Horizon Advanced Rim Defence from Chain Reaction Cycles.

I’m surprised that there isn’t more rim protection out there. There are a few types but the ones that make sense to me are the simple idea of a chunk of material inside the tyre that creates a barrier between that sharp edged rock and your alloy rim. The Nukeproof Horizon Advanced Rim Defence is a super light closed cell foam material that sits nice and snug against the inside face of your rim but is roomy enough to allow your tyre bead to be seated just right. Its stupidly cheap and ridiculously light. My scales say the pair of ARD’s weight under 300 grams and my credit card statement says $80.99 for the pair. I’m running the system on a set of 650B wheels but the price stays the same for a 29er setup. Also included in that price is a great pair of tubeless valves with a nifty groove in the base of the valve stem that allows not only the air to circulate into the tyre to get your desired pressure but for those who use a tyre sealant injector, its plenty of room for the sealant to stream in. They’re a sweet copper coloured stem too! That never fails.

Fitting the ARD to your wheel is a simple exercise. Take your tyre off, chuck the ARD valves in, lay the hoop of the ARD around the rim and whack that tyre on. Fitting the last part of the tyre is tighter than normal as the tyre needs to get underneath the ARD and seat itself. That’s the first nod of confidence though as you know the Rim Defence is located exactly where you want it when the hardest rock on earth tries to get intimidate with your alloy or carbon rim edge. Worth noting is this closed cell foam material doesn’t absorb sealant but I add an extra 40ml just so it covers me in case I need that bit extra that is stuck to the ARD.

How does the Nukeproof Horizon Advanced Rim Defence feel on a ride though? Does it actually feel any different to what you’e used? Yes and no. If you’re using tubes then this will feel similar to that but way lighter as the rotational weight of a tube is gone and replaced with something super light. If you are used to running tubeless and no rim protection then you’re gonna feel something similar to a tyre that has a stiffer sidewall but paired with lower pressure for grip; you’re winning. Lets touch on the lower pressure thing. Why run your tyre pressure lower? Well, lower pressure means more tyre surface making contact with the trail as your tyre flattens it’s contact face and those knobs that too many people refer to as side knobs are actually biting into the trail. Lower pressure has more positive than negative and if it means you’re getting more grip? Do it. This is where rim protection comes in! Lower pressure means the gap between the trail surface and your pricey rims is less and having that barrier between your rim and that hard rock is reassuring and I guarantee will stop pinch flats (…..snakebites in a tube) and will protect your rims. Running a higher tyre pressure will still see the need for rim defence as the characteristic of the tyre only changes by how much the tyre can flatten out with lower pressure. Higher pressure means less rolling resistance but less grip, feel me?

This review is not intended to be a long winded babble about some snake oil cool aid thing. I’ve mentioned in previous reviews that we’ve seen some top notch developments that have progressed mountain bikes into the next phase. Things like adjustable suspension, hydraulic disc brakes and dropper posts to name a few. While tubeless tyre systems aren’t a new thing, we certainly haven’t seen any radical enhancements to that setup. The idea of rim defence is a must for anyone running tubeless though, I cannot say enough about how valuable this system is. I have rim defence in all of my mountain bikes and to this day, I have not had one flat tyre and my rims look fresh with no dents or chips from hard hits. Rim defence is a no brainer and is executed extremely well with this amazing interpretation of how to make a simple product work so well with the Nukeproof Horizon Advanced Rim Protection. Don’t even think it over, add it to your basket on Chain Reaction Cycles and ride harder with more confidence in your gear. It really is that simple.

Last edited:

Comments

Did you run into any of the issues that other people ran into, like the thing expanding inside of the tyre and rolling around in there. Also were you able to compare it to any competitors like cushcore?

Did you run into any of the issues that other people ran into, like the thing expanding inside of the tyre and rolling around in there. Also were you able to compare it to any competitors like cushcore?
I've not touched Cushcore, don't see the point in spending that much money when I can get a beaut product like this and other closed cell foam models. Being around alot of bikes though, I've seen the ups and downs of Cushcore and would gladly run a set to get a feel but not sold on the benefits of it.

This seems to be a fairly common theme of the reviews ive seen.

As for cushcore ive used the same one for almost 2 years and several tyre changes. Plenty of abuse and not one pinch flat or damaged rim. Has a few minor cuts in it when I checked recently, but overall looks to still be in very good condition.

This seems to be a fairly common theme of the reviews ive seen.

As for cushcore ive used the same one for almost 2 years and several tyre changes. Plenty of abuse and not one pinch flat or damaged rim. Has a few minor cuts in it when I checked recently, but overall looks to still be in very good condition.
I'm still on the fence about cushcore, the things are heavy. Do you notice the increased weight?
The nukeproof ARD seemed like the perfect product for me. Low weight and cost compared to cushcore but still providing rim protection. However I'm not hearing anyone mention the cornering benefits that people are saying they are getting with cushcores so maybe the trade off for climbing will pay off on the downs (which in the end of it all it is what i prefer doing on the bike, i just dont want it to completely wreck me going up)

I'm still on the fence about cushcore, the things are heavy. Do you notice the increased weight?
The nukeproof ARD seemed like the perfect product for me. Low weight and cost compared to cushcore but still providing rim protection. However I'm not hearing anyone mention the cornering benefits that people are saying they are getting with cushcores so maybe the trade off for climbing will pay off on the downs (which in the end of it all it is what i prefer doing on the bike, i just dont want it to completely wreck me going up)
I won't lie , first couple of rides notice the weight. But it is easily offset by being able to run lowered pressures, for the extra grip and damping on the rear plus generally peace of mind. Fitting them is not a issue once you've done it once and get the technique down pat.

The tighter they fit the better they lock your tyre bead in place unlike other inserts that float around loosely. I used to run a huck Norris and it was nowhere near as good.

Back to the review ..there is merit in designs like the ARD if you want low weight.

We are having some success with home made backing rod/pool noodle setups.
They do eventually become susceptible to cuts but you can run lower pressure and ride home on an entirely flat tyre (Has happened twice in last 10 days)

Worked out to around $30 a bike.

We are having some success with home made backing rod/pool noodle setups.
They do eventually become susceptible to cuts but you can run lower pressure and ride home on an entirely flat tyre (Has happened twice in last 10 days)

Worked out to around $30 a bike.
I tried the DIY K-Flex one and it was more trouble than it was worth.
Factoring in the time to cut, glue and hoping its bonded correctly then the overall cost starts creeping up.
Especially if you need a valve with horizontal holes so you can let air out .... I learned this the hard way when the K-Flex blocked my valve hole o_O

Factoring in the time to cut, glue and hoping its bonded correctly then the overall cost starts creeping up.
Especially if you need a valve with horizontal holes so you can let air out .... I learned this the hard way when the K-Flex blocked my valve hole o_O
I just modified my existing valve with a Dremel. Although I was lazy and only did it for the rear wheel. First tyre change I mixed the two valves up and had the same issue as you lol. Now both valves are modified.

I hear you, we had tried another product prior called Nube (essentially the same thing) which came with valves.

You can buy the valves from Amazon I think for bugger all.

Oh nice, Nube looks like the main 'pool noodle' design solution out there.
Unfortunately the Uberbike valves weren't available when I was looking for solutions.

I ended up getting Rimpact ones as the shape and material really appealed to me. Plus it was $90 AUD delivered including tubeless valves.
Have had zero issues with them in the past 9 months

Just use clear packing tape to join it. Cut a slot in the valves. Worked for me. I’m on ARD now though

You will be!!
Your biggest concern with running Cushcore will be that you'll have to go back and retcon all of these reviews to say how sub standard they are in comparison to the real thing.
But I'd prefer to spend the difference in cost on two return airfares to New Zealand each year and have the awesome inserts protecting my rims anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: Zaf
Is NZ even worth experiencing without Cushcores?
It's like sex without foreplay!! It's rougher, you have less fun, and your equipment gets wrecked.
Thats why you pay up front for a professional and use lube. Its cheaper in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zaf