NSW South Coast, beach & bike holiday.

greendream

Likes Bikes
Happy New Year for you all!!!
My lovely missus & I are planning a week away during late Feb/early March to enjoy the end of summer.
We plan to stay somewhere within in walking distance to a surf beach and I would like to take my "black girlfriend" to go out for a spin on some local tracks if at all possible.
Do any burners have suggestions where we may be able to book a beach stay with convenient access to MTB trails?
We have spent many a past summer at North Mollymook Beach and beyond but I didn't have the opportunity to take the bike with me (teenage kids) so I am familiar with the general area but not the actual MTB scene.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I haven't actually ever been there but I'm going to Tathra in April hoping for something similar. Not sure what the surf is like. Keen to hear any tips too

LPG

likes thicc birds
Tathra is a good option. I'm not sure if you mean beach for surfing or if you just want surf but I'm pretty sure it is pretty good there.

Wollongong/Bulli could be a good option if you like steeper or more challenging trails but is probably a bit close to Sydney for some. Definitely busier than Tathra though.

If you like xc riding the Nowra mtb trails are pretty close to Jervis Bay. Not good for surfing but definitely beautiful beaches.

greendream

Likes Bikes
Tathra is a good option. I'm not sure if you mean beach for surfing or if you just want surf but I'm pretty sure it is pretty good there.

Wollongong/Bulli could be a good option if you like steeper or more challenging trails but is probably a bit close to Sydney for some. Definitely busier than Tathra though.

If you like xc riding the Nowra mtb trails are pretty close to Jervis Bay. Not good for surfing but definitely beautiful beaches.
Thanks.
Beach is just for swimming, my surfing days are long gone.
You're right Wollongong is not far enough away from Sydney now but Tathra makes it quite a road trip in terms of distance. Although I really find the Eden area quite pleasant, not to mention the killer whale museum.
I'm not too particular on the type of trial just the opportunity to get out and try something new. Jervis Bay could be an option but we are both quite partial to ocean beaches with surf.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Callala Beach and Currarong have heaps of holiday rentals and are both lovely places. 10-20 minute drive to the Nowra SCUM trails which are good fun XC-oriented trails. There are two trail heads in different locations either side of Forest Rd.

You're probably a year or two early for the Batemans Bay/Mogo rejuvenation which is having some millions invested and will be great when done. Trails already there though, so another option. The Deep Creek Dam trails are a fabulous high-speed XC blast.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Jervis Bay could be an option but we are both quite partial to ocean beaches with surf.
Jarvis Bay isn't completely without waves and there are open ocean beaches there (outside the bay. The Jarvis Bay beaches?such as Callala) definitely have their charm. The riding is not bad, but nothing compared to Tathra or Wollongong.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tathra if you want a bike holiday. If you wanted to stay near the beach and drive to the trails there are lots of beach accommodation options close enough to Tahtra. You could split up the drive by staying one night along the way.
Mogo dam trails trails are fun but you will be done with them in a day. The other mogo trails were in bad shape last time I rode them years ago. Does anyone know if they are still this way ?
Nowra trails will probably keep you entertained for 2 Days.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is a lot of forest down that way , if you just like trails- possibly more logging tracks .they the forests - I used to have a house at Bendalong - a very long time ago ….and we would ride the fire trails either inland or up and down the coast .
ps may not be want to want , but it will be peaceful .

MHz

Squid
The newish Narooma trails are recommended by me. Still a smallish but well designed network, some good gravity oriented flow singletrack with some technical features. They ride well even for this newb.

I spoke to a club member at the trailhead the other day, and they expect to have another 60km or so of trails open by Christmas 2022, thanks to some millions of bushfire recovery funding. Trails have been surveyed, with construction set to start soon.

cheers,
Tim

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
The newish Narooma trails are recommended by me. Still a smallish but well designed network, some good gravity oriented flow singletrack with some technical features. They ride well even for this newb.

I spoke to a club member at the trailhead the other day, and they expect to have another 60km or so of trails open by Christmas 2022, thanks to some millions of bushfire recovery funding. Trails have been surveyed, with construction set to start soon.

cheers,
Tim
Can confirm that Narooma is good lots of kms and variety including easy to huge jumps.
They have done a great job but every place the nature is defined by the soil and rock.