Not a "what bike"thread. But need info

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm with @Minlak on this - get a trail bike, one that has been designed to get thrown around and have fun. 2 suggestions of such a bike I know of are:
  • transition scout
  • banshee spitfire

There's others I'm sure, but these 2 really speak to the inner hickwit.

As for what sort of bike you are after, I suggest the giant catalogue as your visual guide. The anthem is pure xc and the older anthems even more so. All steep angles and efficiency oriented angles. The trance is a trail bike with more relaxed geometry and a little more playful look to it. I wouldn't recommend either of them, but it should give you some idea about the shapes you are considering.

And the comment about xc bikes feeling like hardrails is bull shit. My polygon runs 100mm of travel and I have it set up to 15-20% sag, which is pretty stiff. It definitely feels like a dually when I am riding it on a trail or jumps. Fuck it even feels like a dually riding it around town. Get one of them and put a dropper on it. Why not go full goon if you're going to go goon? Or that mountain cycle battery cokes was offering a while ago? You can run dual crown forks on that and be an epic goose!

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Just have heard that the suspension doesn't really do much, i think it's about pedalling platform?
To be honest I am chasing something like that 03 speccy enduro that I am riding, only newer, 125mm travel seems great. Not sure if the fork makes a difference in how it rides but the coil certainly does
Depends on bike and setup. My 80mm 90's dually ramped up beautifully with an air shock and could be run quite soft without issue.

My 120mm Norco was harsh in comparison due to the way the shock damping was setup until I changed shocks.

safreek

Why not buy the bike you want to ride instead of a style of bike that you clearly don't want to ride? I don't get the point of this thread.
Because I love heavy, old downhill bikes, the problem is that most of the riding around here is cross country and pedalling 40lbs + bikes is solid work even with an able body.
After riding the speccy for 3 straight rides I'm having a ball, just want to get a more modern frame or bike and am curious of other people's view.
Cardy George nailed it fairly well, about the small shock and such. To be honest I only mentioned the large travel fork to attempt poking hornets, my.plans are for a fox fork I have, at about 120 mm travel

Flow-Rider

Burner
There's a really nice Bronsen for sale on RB going cheap, you can always add a few extra psi to the shock if you want to ride like lycra lightning.

moorey

call me Mia
I don’t mean to be ‘that guy’, but I have the sneaking suspicion that most peoples idea of cheap isn’t quite the same as @safreek. Talk of sentinels and Bronsons are all well and good....

Flow-Rider

Burner
I don’t mean to be ‘that guy’, but I have the sneaking suspicion that most peoples idea of cheap isn’t quite the same as @safreek. Talk of sentinels and Bronsons are all well and good....
If he didn't buy so many world war 11 relics and everything else in between, I reckon he could have bought 2 of them by now. I always thought he just liked riding old bikes.

safreek

You are correct, about 1200 is my limit, don't know if I will get sick of short travel. To be honest I don't see the value in paying many thousands for a bike that I will ride a couple of rides a week,

safreek

If he didn't buy so many world war 11 relics and everything else in between, I reckon he could have bought 2 of them by now. I always thought he just liked riding old bikes.
I most certainly do love the old bikes, when I talk modern bike, well, I'm actually talking up to about 3012/13.
But I would also go a dual MCM or 4banger

safreek

You’re doing it wrong. Buy a bike you’ll love, and you’ll ride it to death.
Yeah but I don't really know what I want. Saw a fairly modern Santa Cruz, possibly a SB of some kind go on Facebook for 1600ish, I would of bought that

Flow-Rider

Burner
I most certainly do love the old bikes, when I talk modern bike, well, I'm actually talking up to about 3012/13.
But I would also go a dual MCM or 4banger
I was going by the price of that bike you pictured in your OP, I don't follow bike prices but assumed in this day and age it would be worth around the 2~2.5k mark. I still ride old bikes myself and spend the time setting them up, old heavy bike (2x) 22T & 34T x 11-36 (10 speed), fairly cheap and you can lug a heavy old bike uphill to bomb back down. :)

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
As for what sort of bike you are after, I suggest the giant catalogue as your visual guide. The anthem is pure xc and the older anthems even more so. All steep angles and efficiency oriented angles.
27.5" Anthems are pretty traily compared to the rest of the family, 110mm rear and 120 or 130 up front depending on model, and pretty slack for a XC bike.